tracktor or serato which to buy??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dj_huck

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by dj_huck » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:54 am

i have traktor and serato. i have not used traktor since i got serato. traktor has cheesy effects that serato did not have till version 2(upcoming). i have never felt comfortable using traktor as it has never been stable for me, and it is still not stable. every dj i know that uses a dvs uses serato. but at the end of the day you have to decide what bells and whistles you want. i think the bridge collab thing may be cool and also realize serato updates are free. traktor updates cost money from time to time

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 am

There really needs to be a Traktor vs. Serato side by side comparison chart. I googled but all I got were discussions on forums similar to this one.

Maybe I'll check foxnews because they are fair and balanced, and they report and let us decide.

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:45 am

I have both and so the thing is, if I'm going to spin with control vinyls, I overwhelmingly prefer serato. If I'm going to dj with midi controllers etc, then I use ableton, simply because it's so much more kickass than traktor. I'm really looking forward to what the bridge has to offer, but I think the extra little things in v2 will make serato all the better for just spinning records. I know traktor already does alot of this stuff, but it's just so kludgy to set up.

The only time I use traktor is when I go to dj a low key party in someone's living room with nothing but a computer. Then I just mouse and keyboard the thing.

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:50 am

dj_huck wrote:i have traktor and serato. i have not used traktor since i got serato. traktor has cheesy effects that serato did not have till version 2(upcoming). i have never felt comfortable using traktor as it has never been stable for me, and it is still not stable. every dj i know that uses a dvs uses serato. but at the end of the day you have to decide what bells and whistles you want. i think the bridge collab thing may be cool and also realize serato updates are free. traktor updates cost money from time to time
interestingly here in switzerland everyone uses traktor, no one has problems, and all have great fun with it.

regional differences, i guess.. i prefer traktor by a long shot over serato. but having the bridge for free would be nice, why not? a single turntable in the studio, so you always "play from vinyl" while working in live would be sorta fun :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:18 am

if i had had a choice traktor no doubt. with the new controller it looks killer.

rompling

Post by rompling » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:32 am

:o Seems a defo split into where you live in the world with europe on the traktor side and USA with serato - marketing perhaps ?
Pc Dual core 3gb Ram Live 8 ,Reason 4, Novation X station Akai MPC1000 Novation Nio2/4 M Audio BX 5 Korg Zero 8 Novation Nocturn & Launchpad
Been on live since version 2 but ableton forum has somehow only had me down as a user since 08 doh !

Semuta

Post by Semuta » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:50 am

I suspect the continental difference has more to do with the prevalence of hiphop dj's (and clubs) in the US.

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

beatniks3

Post by beatniks3 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't believe it has to do with hiphop, i've been around dvs systems and users since the first final scratch on beOS but have never been to a hiphop club or even seen someone spin hiphop with serato or any DVS before. not saying it's not happening, just saying it's not a part of my life...I don't know if it is a misconception that all americans listen to hiphop or rap or go hiphop clubs

I think it comes down to a couple things: dj monkey see dj monkey do. if you are around traktor users odds are you will use traktor.

marketing: all club standard this and pro dj ready that is marketing blips....

and finally i think it was the fact that serato is much more resource friendly and able to run on lower spec computers then traktor...that's the one thing people with their flashy macbook pros with 4 GB of ram seem to forget when talking about this VS that discussion; you're experience with either program is going to be determined by the computer you use...I know i was having problems running traktor 3 on a computer that i've now dedicated as a serato laptop and serato runs great not a single problem. *this is with Sl-1, the Sl-3 is more resource hungry.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:18 pm

beatniks3 wrote:I don't believe it has to do with hiphop, i've been around dvs systems and users since the first final scratch on beOS but have never been to a hiphop club or even seen someone spin hiphop with serato or any DVS before. not saying it's not happening, just saying it's not a part of my life...I don't know if it is a misconception that all americans listen to hiphop or rap or go hiphop clubs

I think it comes down to a couple things: dj monkey see dj monkey do. if you are around traktor users odds are you will use traktor.

marketing: all club standard this and pro dj ready that is marketing blips....

and finally i think it was the fact that serato is much more resource friendly and able to run on lower spec computers then traktor...that's the one thing people with their flashy macbook pros with 4 GB of ram seem to forget when talking about this VS that discussion; you're experience with either program is going to be determined by the computer you use...I know i was having problems running traktor 3 on a computer that i've now dedicated as a serato laptop and serato runs great not a single problem. *this is with Sl-1, the Sl-3 is more resource hungry.
hm. i ran traktor 3 on an asus eee 901, first gen netbook pre atom days (celeron 700mhz). worked great..

:)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:00 pm

I still run Serato on my 1.5 gHz G4 PowerBook with 512 of RAM and Tiger OS. Runs like a charm.

I'm hoping that the i7 MacBook Pros arrive before The Bridge does, because it won't be much fun running both apps on my PowerlessBook.

It is interesting how Traktor is more of a European standard and Serato is king in the States. I'm sure it's a number of factors piled up on top of one another. In the States most of the veteran DJ's follow each other's cues (pun sort of intended). I don't know how many times I've read and heard people say (with a hint of indignation) "I've been DJing for 13 years." "I've been DJing for 37 years." "I was the first DJ in history." etc etc etc.

It really does come down to monkey DJ see, monkey DJ doo. As soon as one veteran DJ caved in and bought Serato, the DJ who has looked up to this other DJ for several decades decides to try out Serato too. Since using Scratch Live still requires actual DJ skills, they all adapted to it. And beyond just copying one another, the main reason Serato stuck with DJ's in the States is that it really is a good product, and people really enjoy using it. That's why when the Ableton collaboration was announced I was beside myself. Awesome got more awesome.

Vicious_Angel

Post by Vicious_Angel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:34 pm

I would agree with most of you guys.
At least in greece i saw a bunch of people djing with both apps.

The most common tho is Traktor. I dont like native instruments suport at all so maybe i will jump with serato.
I just wish when i buy it to have all the whistles traktor has atm.

To the USA vs Europe thing i think it has to do with the music we play at the clubs.
hip hop and stuff that play in the us clubs are full of vocals and slow in bpm -> Scratching is the way. -> Serato.
Europe bangs more than 70%-80% 4/4 beats without vocals so beat repeat,delays etc is the way to go. -> Traktor.

eandersonase

Post by eandersonase » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:43 pm

It looks like serato 2.1 and the bridge will be released sometime in march
A MIC and the STAGE

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:46 pm

my choice will have to be traktor man, i've used it for years and i switched to ableton because at the time i felt that ableton gave me more freedom, i also thought that i could benefit choosing one platform for performance and the studio instead of two separate ones...

lamby123

Post by lamby123 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:10 pm

hanks for all the advice guys been a big help i have been looking at the allen and heath xone dx http://www.decks.co.uk/image.ashx?p=1/2 ... 1250&h=863
it comes bundled with full itch software and soundcard built in seems like good deal the software and hardware looks more geared for edm would be great to get your opinions before i order one!

musick

Post by musick » Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:33 pm

The A&H DX rocks, 4 decks+Mixer+Fx all in one, even has phono inputs for playing vinyl (or record vinyl when DX used as soundcard).