tracktor or serato which to buy??

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
beatniks3
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:44 pm

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by beatniks3 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:06 pm

beats me wrote:You're also flat wrong about NI. They are well known for adding major new features along with bug fixes in updates and they don't charge for it either. The only time they charge, like any other company, is for major version releases.
except serato

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:06 am

beats me wrote:The obvious reason Ableton partnered with Serato is that Serato is fairly bare bones and therefor a lot easier to add a major new feature to. Traktor is a monster application in it's own right and it would be a lot harder to implement and would add more bugs from both companies.

All companies sell software that doesn't quite work as planned in the beginning. Serato doesn't evolve much on any level so of course it's going to be more stable, but we'll see how stable it is once Live is part of it. I predict it's flawless performance record will be tarnished.

You're also flat wrong about NI. They are well known for adding major new features along with bug fixes in updates and they don't charge for it either. The only time they charge, like any other company, is for major version releases. Anybody that ditches something "years ago" shouldn't be weighing in on the current status.

I still stand by my statement that if somebody has never spun vinyl or CDs before then there's no reason to learn to do so or use encoded media. It's an old school skill set and technology that will be phased out except in some situations where it's necessary no matter how much some people don't want to let it go. There's plenty of other things to focus on in the future of DJing.
i think you nailed it beats.

v2 is now coming after others have all the functionality v2 brings already since years. and i am curios about the stability of v2 and the bridge... i am sure it will start to be more flakey, at least in the beginning.

and coming up with v2 is a clear sign that they need to move ahead, turning a computer into absolute nothing else but a simple record box is not enough our days, seratos v1 concept is outdated, big time.
*** Image GAFM ***

Ben_Binary
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:38 am

SubFunk wrote:
beats me wrote:The obvious reason Ableton partnered with Serato is that Serato is fairly bare bones and therefor a lot easier to add a major new feature to. Traktor is a monster application in it's own right and it would be a lot harder to implement and would add more bugs from both companies.

All companies sell software that doesn't quite work as planned in the beginning. Serato doesn't evolve much on any level so of course it's going to be more stable, but we'll see how stable it is once Live is part of it. I predict it's flawless performance record will be tarnished.

You're also flat wrong about NI. They are well known for adding major new features along with bug fixes in updates and they don't charge for it either. The only time they charge, like any other company, is for major version releases. Anybody that ditches something "years ago" shouldn't be weighing in on the current status.

I still stand by my statement that if somebody has never spun vinyl or CDs before then there's no reason to learn to do so or use encoded media. It's an old school skill set and technology that will be phased out except in some situations where it's necessary no matter how much some people don't want to let it go. There's plenty of other things to focus on in the future of DJing.
i think you nailed it beats.

v2 is now coming after others have all the functionality v2 brings already since years. and i am curios about the stability of v2 and the bridge... i am sure it will start to be more flakey, at least in the beginning.

and coming up with v2 is a clear sign that they need to move ahead, turning a computer into absolute nothing else but a simple record box is not enough our days, seratos v1 concept is outdated, big time.
I dont wanna get into a debate like MAC v PC boyzzz :roll:

I think you BOTH are getting a little too trigger happy on this forum.

Why bash Serato just because it doesnt suit YOUR style of production or performance ?
I aint bashing traktors value as a dj tool ...

To the OP:

You can rock the party with either software - they just do it in different ways.
If you are using Ableton then it is obvious that Serato is the way to go :lol:
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:12 am

^^^ it is purely your problem if you consider it being bashing... to say what serato v1 is, an electronic record box, or what else is it?

it's nothing wrong being that, but i think (well, it shows) they need to move on and they do not deliver anything new, they just catch up with v2, what the bridge eventually will finally add to stay ahead, we will see, that is right now totally in the open.
*** Image GAFM ***

Ben_Binary
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:08 pm
Location: Australia

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Ben_Binary » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:05 pm

SubFunk wrote:^^^ it is purely your problem if you consider it being bashing...
Good point.

Cheers
B
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:11 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:
SubFunk wrote:^^^ it is purely your problem if you consider it being bashing...
Good point.

Cheers
B
seriously, what is in your eyes serato v1 (not talking about the upcoming catch up v2) other then an electronic record box, that works perfectly well?
but it is just a record box stuffed into a computer, nothing more, nothing less.
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:33 pm

SubFunk wrote:seriously, what is in your eyes serato v1 (not talking about the upcoming catch up v2) other then an electronic record box, that works perfectly well?
but it is just a record box stuffed into a computer, nothing more, nothing less.
With two analog turntables and an analog mixer, SubFunk claims to be able to set multiple cue points on both decks, multiple loop points on both decks, and to be able to record live audio onto the vinyls and manipulate it in real time.

Spectrumdisco
Posts: 109
Joined: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 am

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Spectrumdisco » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:08 pm

I would agree with your dance and Traktor for Europe description. You now have people like Carl Cox using it in his sets

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by SubFunk » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:46 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
SubFunk wrote:seriously, what is in your eyes serato v1 (not talking about the upcoming catch up v2) other then an electronic record box, that works perfectly well?
but it is just a record box stuffed into a computer, nothing more, nothing less.
With two analog turntables and an analog mixer, SubFunk claims to be able to set multiple cue points on both decks, multiple loop points on both decks, and to be able to record live audio onto the vinyls and manipulate it in real time.
nope, i asked a question, cue points are redundant with records in my eyes, looping, fair enough... and recording audio into a deck? since when can you do that with v1 of serato?

and still i claim it is nothing in comparison to what others offer, v2 is not adding anything yet, it is merely catching up slowly with traktor in respect to functionality. i don't bash serato, i only say it is dead primitive as of now, it wants to catch up after YEARS with traktor and it hopefully will step ahead, depending what the bridge development has to offer in the future. that is my opinion.
*** Image GAFM ***

teejay
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:06 am

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by teejay » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:20 pm

Serato seriously looks like a toy to me. Can it do even HALF the things Traktor can do? (leave alone all) Quantized beat jumps (ala Live), quality fx/routing, extensive looping options, extensive Midi options (truly unlike any other on the market today).. the list goes on and on...

And their current version is considered rock solid.

McQ714
Posts: 1851
Joined: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:12 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by McQ714 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:30 pm

Ben_Binary wrote:I dont wanna get into a debate like MAC v PC boyzzz :roll:

I think you BOTH are getting a little too trigger happy on this forum.

Why bash Serato just because it doesnt suit YOUR style of production or performance ?
I aint bashing traktors value as a dj tool ...

To the OP:

You can rock the party with either software - they just do it in different ways.
If you are using Ableton then it is obvious that Serato is the way to go :lol:
news flash to you, Ben... these are the same people that argue the mac vs PC debate.

if you are looking to integrate and use Live with another program, then i guess Serato would be the wiser choice... for this year anyway. NI is a very capable company and Traktor is a great product. I wouldn't be surprised if they are already looking into making a similar solution between Traktor and Maschine. we already know they are tightly synced to one another. now if you are looking to integrate two programs running on separate computers, i don't think Serato is at all capable of this (don't know for sure). if you already have a great interface, and just want software, get Traktor.

Traktor would be my choice.. especially since it can sync externally to other programs. it has everything Serato has and more.

Hidden Driveways
Posts: 1977
Joined: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:13 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Hidden Driveways » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:59 pm

SubFunk wrote:since when can you do that with v1 of serato?
Since the beginning. The Rane SL1 interface has a microphone input for this purpose.

I like this thread though, and I respect everyone's opinion.

I'm trying to collect all of the pros and cons that I can on these two platforms. Here's what I got (correct me if I'm wrong - I'll edit this post to add more info):



Traktor
Pros:
No dongles or proprietary hardware needed
Control up to 4 decks with timecode
Compatible with most MIDI controllers
Lots of effects (3 at a time in each deck?)
Built-in software mixer
Somewhat of a standard in Europe
Relatively inexpensive entry price (which explains the European thing - cheap bastards :wink: )
Syncs to external programs
The new Kontrol X1 controller looks really nice

Cons:
You need to pay $$$ for new versions
Manufacturer's reputation leaves a little to be desired
Not a club standard in the United States
Waveforms do not give frequency information
No Ableton collaboration

Serato
Pros:
All software upgrades are free for life
Actively collaborating with Ableton's developers on The Bridge
Control up to 4 decks with timecode (with version 2.0, in public beta now)
Waveforms show bass, mids, and treble as different colors
Built-in SP6 sample player (which can be used as 6 decks)
Rane interfaces are standard equipment found in most US clubs
Serato is a small company dedicated to making music software
Still as stable as Live 4.1.4 :wink:
Runs like a champ on netbooks and underpowered computers
Optional video VJing plug-in available

Cons
Proprietary hardware required
Expensive entry-level price ($540 USD)
No software mixer in Scratch Live (not an issue for ITCH)
Scratch Live requires an external mixer (ITCH does not)
Slower pace of development
Limited MIDI controller support
There is something inherently goofy about the Numark NS7 :wink:
Last edited by Hidden Driveways on Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Semuta
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:52 am
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Contact:

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by Semuta » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:46 pm

I want to point out that with Traktor, using timecode is dependent on purchasing Traktor Scratch, and Traktor Scratch will only work with NI sound cards. For 4 turntable functionality with Traktor scratch, the Audio8 is required. Timecode will not work without NI's hardware plus the additional license of the "Scratch" version of Traktor.

S
http://www.semuta.com
Ableton Suite 9 : Push : Maschine : Komplete 8 Ultimate : Sugar Bundle : Diva

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by dum » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:59 pm

Alot of the discussion revolving around Serato & The Bridge has been rather asinine.
You get people hating on it who don't:

dj with or care for vinyl
have or like decks
use serato in the first place

So what's the point of their input into the discussion ? It's just Digital bias V Analogue dressed as something else. Serato v1 has been perfect. Ya, it's a record box in a computer - perfect. Anything else would have been bloat considering it's purpose.

Traktor is kool too. But I just couldn't be bothered trolling house djs who prefer it. What would be the point of that ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

cypher
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 2:15 am
Location: Pontefract, West Yorkshire, UK

Re: tracktor or serato which to buy??

Post by cypher » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:04 am

It could be money wasted as DJing live is easy in Ableton with a controller, unless you want CDs or Vinyl controls

But I have to say, I've used em all and Traktor scratch is F'ing ace !
Mac Pro, 8 core, 3.2ghz, 3TB internal HDs, 16gb RAM, Rollin' with Vinyl, Traktor Scratch Pro and coded vinyls, a Xone 4D and of course Ableton Live 5.2.2, and all music etc backed up regular !!!!!!!!! word. Also a max'd up to the limit Macbook Pro

Post Reply