Question: Rendering as Loop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Aequitas123

Question: Rendering as Loop

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:37 pm

i'm trying to render a few loops i've done for a video game.

the problem i'm having is that i want the song to start and then loop, but i don't want the loop to be from the start, but from another location after the start. basically a D.S. al Coda.

is there a way of doing this in ableton? i thought maybe with the Set Song Start Time Here function and the Loop brackets that this might be possible.

any help is appreciated.

Aequitas123

Re: Question: Rendering as Loop

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:49 pm

nobody's looked at this tread yet? camaaaaaan

sounddevisor

Post by sounddevisor » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:36 pm

By "rendering," do you mean printing as a standalone audio file (i.e., .wav, aiff, mp3, etc?)

If so, you might try splitting your song into two (or more) parts - print a section from the beginning of the song to the beginning of the loop as one file, then print from the beginning of the loop to the end (or to the end of the loop, if that's different) as a second, separate file. If there's an ending section that happens after the loop, print that as a third file.

- sounddevisor
http://www.myspace.com/sounddevisor

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:05 pm

by rendering i mean Exporting to Wav.

is there a way to mark a D.S. al Coda in a wave file in Ableton (or another DAW), so that a player can know to loop back to a certain point, which is not necessarily the beginning?

hereschenes

Post by hereschenes » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Do you mean you only want to start from an intermediate point once as an intro, and then continuously loop from start to finish after that? If so, I think you'd have to manually implement that logic in the code which is responsible for playing the music.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:24 am

yes you can do this easily. say you have a rendered clip that is 2 bars of rendered music, and you want bar 1 to be an intro and bar 2 to loop. drag the rendered music into ableton session or arrange view whatever you prefer. go to the clip view and make sure the clip is set to warp and set to loop. position the start marker at the start of bar 1. move the loop start marker (left "bracket" of the loop bracket) to the start of bar 2. (the start marker may follow along, but you can drag it back to the start of bar 1). also, note that you can do this with the number fields in the clip window. there are places you can directly type in clip start/stop and loop start/end.

Aequitas123

Post by Aequitas123 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:40 am

andrewbrewer wrote:yes you can do this easily. say you have a rendered clip that is 2 bars of rendered music, and you want bar 1 to be an intro and bar 2 to loop. drag the rendered music into ableton session or arrange view whatever you prefer. go to the clip view and make sure the clip is set to warp and set to loop. position the start marker at the start of bar 1. move the loop start marker (left "bracket" of the loop bracket) to the start of bar 2. (the start marker may follow along, but you can drag it back to the start of bar 1). also, note that you can do this with the number fields in the clip window. there are places you can directly type in clip start/stop and loop start/end.
tried that but it only renders whats in the loop bracket (bar 2 in your example) and forgets about the start point.