Any way to get Maschine to follow Drum Rack 'square'?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kconlan

Any way to get Maschine to follow Drum Rack 'square'?

Post by kconlan » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:46 am

My MPD32's pads will trigger whichever 16 cells are currently 'in focus' in a Drum Rack.

I cannot get this to work with Maschine, even after downloading a couple of additional templates off of NI's forum template thread and adding the midi remote scripts to the proper folder, etc.

NI's official Maschine Ableton template didn't work with drum racks at all for me, the pads spit out seemingly random midi notes.

The other templates I've downloaded spit out midi notes in (mostly) the right order, but what I'm really looking for is what I described above.

Any Maschine/Live users have this working?

Winterpark

Re: Any way to get Maschine to follow Drum Rack 'square'?

Post by Winterpark » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:50 pm

I made a maschine project that has it where each group spits out midi notes in sequence.

so group a is c0 upwards, group b starts where A finishes off, group c where b finishes off.... and so on... so whilst it doesn't 'focus' exactly, it is a pretty good workaround.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

kb420

Post by kb420 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:54 pm

I wondered about this myself, and I think that the Abes have to add Maschine to it's list of drum controllers for it to work.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 pm

Yes you can. I made a template called LiveMaschine which used the remote template thing. Group A maps to the current drum map while groups B-H play chromatic notes. I also made 4 pages for the knobs - Macros, Volume, Send A, Send B. All the transport controls are mapped as well as master volume. I uploaded it a while ago over at NI's site. Give me a minute and I'll find it.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:17 pm

Here you go. Post #35

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... 226&page=3

Contains the template to load into Maschine from the controller editor and also the custom remote script folder for Live.

As for the transport :
play = play
rec =rec
erase = stop
restart = loop
RW/FW buttons = RW/FW

kconlan

Post by kconlan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:44 am

Thanks for the replies.

am - I'm able to get that to work, which is good enough and how I always had to do it with my MPC, but what I'm really after is what fragmentated set up.

kb420 - You can do it; NI made a Live template that comes with it, and other folks like fragmentated have made others, you just have to drop the remote script file into the midi remote script folder in the Live program folder and it'll show up in the list of midi controllers under preferences.

fragmentated - Thank you sir. Yours was the template I tried last night; I'm obviously doing something wrong when loading it onto Maschine, will try again . Huge thanks for making it, I was somewhat surprised that between NI and Ableton it wasn't already done, and since having that feature with my MPD, I don't want to go back.

BlackMath

Post by BlackMath » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:48 am

so are you still able to trigger samples in Mashine and the midi goes out to drum rack or are you only using it as a controller for the drum rack..

just trying to wrap my head around this

kconlan

Post by kconlan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:02 am

If you hit 'shift' plus 'control' it switches between Maschine plugin mode and regular midi control. I'm hoping to switch seamlessly between controlling Maschine plugin and Drum Racks within the same Live Set.

However, I still can't get it to work. Even with LiveMaschine template properly loaded on Maschine, and selected in Live's Midi Preferences, Group A spits out midi notes starting with C-1, C#-1, D-1, etc. rather than triggering whichever 16 pads are in focus.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:10 am

clockwatcher wrote: Group A spits out midi notes starting with C-1, C#-1, D-1, etc. rather than triggering whichever 16 pads are in focus.
That is correct. I set up the remote script so that drum racks corresponds to these notes. I figured they were low enough that they wouldn't get much use so they were good ones to map.

Here's a screenshot of my preferences.

As long as I click on the drum rack and the blue hand appears and have Group A selected it follows around the current 16 drum pads in the drum rack.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:00 am

fragmentated wrote:Here you go. Post #35

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... 226&page=3

Contains the template to load into Maschine from the controller editor and also the custom remote script folder for Live.

As for the transport :
play = play
rec =rec
erase = stop
restart = loop
RW/FW buttons = RW/FW
I'm using it over all the other existing Live templates for Maschine. By clicking the arrow buttons next to the left screen, the page goes from the 8 buttons being arm and knobs being volume, to the 8 buttons choosing 8 banks and knobs being 8 macro knobs. There's also send a and b. Full transport plus the loop button (which on my controller does say LOOP but newer controllers will say RESTART) and the Group A pads always being automapped to whatever 16 Drum Rack pads that are in focus for those times you want velocity sensitivity with your Drum Rack makes Maschine the perfect companion next to my Launchpad.
Last edited by delicioso on Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kconlan

Post by kconlan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:10 am

Thanks man, I really appreciate your help on this, this one is really stumping me.

My settings are identical to yours as far as Maschine is concerned.

I was starting to think I was getting some kind of conflict with my APC40 and NativeKontrol's apc-cl1 preset that I use, until I tried it with the APC off with the same results.

Unfortunately Group A only triggers those 16 notes down towards the bottom of the drum rack cell matrix, no matter where the 'square' is, even when the drum rack is blue-hand selected.

I'm on Windows XP and it looks like you're on OSX, any chance that has anything to do with this?

I'm gonna jump into this again tomorrow, many thanks.

Winterpark

Post by Winterpark » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:33 am

clockwatcher wrote:Thanks man, I really appreciate your help on this, this one is really stumping me.

My settings are identical to yours as far as Maschine is concerned.

I was starting to think I was getting some kind of conflict with my APC40 and NativeKontrol's apc-cl1 preset that I use, until I tried it with the APC off with the same results.

Unfortunately Group A only triggers those 16 notes down towards the bottom of the drum rack cell matrix, no matter where the 'square' is, even when the drum rack is blue-hand selected.

I'm on Windows XP and it looks like you're on OSX, any chance that has anything to do with this?

I'm gonna jump into this again tomorrow, many thanks.
EDIT:::
hey... i had the same issue... i was putting the user remote script into the hidden app-resources midi remote scripts file, not the 'User remote scripts' file which is in Preferences/Ableton/User remote scripts.
web | fb | sc | twt | bc

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Big thanks for this fragmentated.

For whatever reason, when I open the custom maschine live template, it just opens to the Ableton Live template provided by NI?

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:22 pm

am wrote:EDIT:::
hey... i had the same issue... i was putting the user remote script into the hidden app-resources midi remote scripts file, not the 'User remote scripts' file which is in Preferences/Ableton/User remote scripts.

That might be the problem that others are experiencing who are having difficulties. There is a folder for user remote scripts - it does not with all the other mappings that Live comes preconfigured with. If installed correctly, the user remote scripts should always appear at the very bottom of the list in Live's preferences when choosing a control surface.

The LiveMaschine folder needs to be put in the user remote scripts folder. Inside the LiveMaschine folder is a userconfiguration.txt file. It needs to stay in this folder. Just drop the LiveMaschine folder in the right place.

I believe this is the location to put the folder on windows : (might have to enable view hidden folders)
C:\Documents and Settings\<YOUR USERNAME>\Application Data\Ableton\Live <VERSION NUMBER>\Preferences\User Remote Scripts\

On my mac it's here :
UserName\Library\Preferences\Ableton\Live <VERSION NUMBER>\ User Remote Scripts
Last edited by fragmentated on Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaddyHam

Post by DaddyHam » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:48 pm

No I've got that, its all set up in the preferences. It's when I open up the actual control editor, it won't let me open the provided user template? I assume it has nothing to do with version 1.1 or something of that nature?

EDIT: It's working, thank you so much for this, this made my month.