Utility plugs on each channel or buses only?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
IP

Re: Utility plugs on each channel or buses only?

Post by IP » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:12 pm

with a custom utility it can go even better ....

make more than 1 chain to make different automations...
then a/b and choose the best one!!

and store the others for later use in-case you change your mind

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 am

IP wrote:something like this maybe

Thats how I do it too. I make my own Channel Strip Racks. Put them in the Template, or just drag and drop from the browser. I name them with a version number, so I don't mix up new and old versions.

And yeah, for the lazy ones, just lower the master! :D

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:04 am

Some great info there, thanks, hadn't realised that Util plugs didn't go to -inf, that FreeG looks hot too, ta.
About lowering the master, that's exactly what I don't want to do, I'd rather avoid bottle-necking the master bus and make sure that the total levels coming in are at a usable level. Recall reading about this here and elsewhere, unless any of you audio uber-brains want to chime in?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:13 am

I use Track Groups to coalesce similar sounds amongst themselves then I mix the groups together. first drums because they tend to dominate the mix, then bass, then melodic instruments, then vox.

IMO it's a better situation to be in to have to turn things down than turn them up.

good info in this thread. you can also put a Utility after a Utility to get -70dB, -105dB etc drops in volume. it is strange they stopped at -35dB. that's pretty damn quiet but still...

my $0.01.

edit - so my vote is to not do it on each channel, do it on groups of channels whether that's Sends or Track Groups.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, POD500HDX, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:39 am

Thanks Tone, think I will just put Utils on buses, then if I have time on all tracks and compare the 2

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:04 am

elxicano wrote:at IP... I forgot all about the volume limitation. I actually experienced that problem not too long ago when I tried to use it to fade out!

Anyway, one other freeware solution (not that the rack wouldn't do the trick) is the Sonalksis FreeG! http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99

Good one. I hate that Live's Utility won't attenuate to 0db. :evil:

90's child

Post by 90's child » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am

elxicano wrote:at IP... I forgot all about the volume limitation. I actually experienced that problem not too long ago when I tried to use it to fade out!

Anyway, one other freeware solution (not that the rack wouldn't do the trick) is the Sonalksis FreeG! http://www.sonalksis.com/index.php?section_id=99

Love this plug for comparing RMS levels of my kick and snare break/2-step patterns.

IP

Post by IP » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 pm

FreeG is a great utility alternative and a nice way to view at peak/rms values between devices!
(just drag n drop it and see what is happening before/after any plugin)

.... when it comes to cpu freeG may be still lightweight but

1x freeg = 2x audio effect racks + 2x live utility [Without automation]
1x freeg = 3x audio effect racks + 3x live utility [With automation used]

OR for volume automation only (even an empty rack is enough)

1x freeg = 5x audio effect racks [Without automation]
1x freeg = 7x audio effect racks [With automation used]

Anyway currently im using always and to every channel

1. The free brainworx cleansweep as the first part of my chain for very very clean low/hi cuts
(Cleanest low cut technique/plug-ins - Disq @ gearslutz)
2. A racked utility as the last part of my chain just for the vol/pan automation. (actually i could strip it down to an empty rack but sometimes i need the "width" and dc tools)

So i always have my faders clean of automation and shit .... just for mix.