Consolidating unwarped clips results in a warped clip

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
locojohn

Consolidating unwarped clips results in a warped clip

Post by locojohn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:36 pm

Hello all,

I just noticed that consolidating a group of unwarped clips results in a warped clip. Although not a bug, I think this usually not desired.

Andrejs
/*
  • the basic tone of life remains the same,
    and in it there are some happy melodies
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

tlennon

Re: Consolidating unwarped clips results in a warped clip

Post by tlennon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:37 am

Check to see if new clips are warped by default in the preference tab.
Terrence Lennon

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

tlennon wrote:Check to see if new clips are warped by default in the preference tab.
Nope:

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:01 am

This should not be a problem. The warp analysis allows for the clip to play back exactly at the tempo of the set where the orginal clips were consolidated. It will also allow for time stretching if you change the tempo of the set or import it to another set of a different tempo.
Terrence Lennon

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:06 am

tlennon wrote:This should not be a problem. The warp analysis allows for the clip to play back exactly at the tempo of the set where the orginal clips were consolidated. It will also allow for time stretching if you change the tempo of the set or import it to another set of a different tempo.
The point is this consolidated clip is the improvised recording that is absolutely not in sync with the project's tempo and it should not be. I would like this clip to play always unwarped and I don't want the warp mode to switch on automatically when I consolidate piano recordings like this together into a single clip. Eg. logically I don't want to remember that I have to check the clip's warp mode again after consolidating unwarped clips. I hope it makes sense.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:24 am

Definitely makes sense. However, Ableton's approach to music is mostly rhytmic an idea spawned for DJ's and Live performs. So I certainly understand both points of view. Perhaps suggest it in Wish List so they will create another option in prefs.
Terrence Lennon

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:07 am

locojohn, if your not going to change the tempo, try using a different warp algo. Like Tones. It should sound better for piano. And switch the master grid on and of with ctrl + 4. This way you can quickly move clips without snapping to grid.
? ? ? ? ?

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:15 am

ze2be wrote:locojohn, if your not going to change the tempo, try using a different warp algo. Like Tones. It should sound better for piano. And switch the master grid on and of with ctrl + 4. This way you can quickly move clips without snapping to grid.
I am sorry, but this is a high quality and ultra low noise classical music + field recordings project that I am working on and I definitely cannot use any warp modes for any samples that I have recorded for this project whatsoever. It is simply not possible.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:25 am

locojohn wrote:I am sorry, but this is a high quality and ultra low noise classical music + field recordings project that I am working on and I definitely cannot use any warp modes for any samples that I have recorded for this project whatsoever. It is simply not possible.

Andrejs
Hmm.. Repitch then? it want change audio quality as long as you don't change the tempo..
? ? ? ? ?

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:32 am

err... just switch Warp off in clip view after consolidation? no harm done to your audio file!

edit: re-read your later post, I can see you don't want to switch Warp of manually, but I guess thats what you'll have to do for now.

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:15 am

seems that warping enabled on a consolidated clip would have any effect on it's playback... regardless of whether it's rhythmically in-line with the tempo or not.

am i wrong?? the OP sounds like paranoia over the warp button being lit, as opposed to an actual problem (i.e. classic complaints revisited)

warp is on recorded clips and processed clips to expand the capabilities of what you can do to the clip, not to change how it plays back

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:17 am

locojohn wrote:Eg. logically I don't want to remember that I have to check the clip's warp mode again after consolidating unwarped clips.
you don't. unless you change the tempo of the set

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:36 am

you can always select multiple clips and warp/unwarp all at once. with a project like the one you are describing, just before project completion, i would select all clips and ensure that warp is turned off

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:51 am

longjohns wrote:
locojohn wrote:Eg. logically I don't want to remember that I have to check the clip's warp mode again after consolidating unwarped clips.
you don't. unless you change the tempo of the set
plus 1

it won't matter if warp is on unless you change pitch or tempo -- that is the official word from Ableton - if the project tempo is the same as clip tempo no warping will occur

locojohn

Post by locojohn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:36 pm

longjohns wrote:seems that warping enabled on a consolidated clip would have any effect on it's playback... regardless of whether it's rhythmically in-line with the tempo or not.

am i wrong?? the OP sounds like paranoia over the warp button being lit, as opposed to an actual problem (i.e. classic complaints revisited)

warp is on recorded clips and processed clips to expand the capabilities of what you can do to the clip, not to change how it plays back
I don't think it's a paranoia. Probably you live too much in the world of session view and loop based music. It's OK. What I am talking about is more similar to an instrumental music arrangement with over 20 tracks and over 100 recorded clips where the last thing I want to worry about is warp modes in these clips.

The problem is I HAVE TO change tempo sometimes in order to record various parts of a project at different tempo (piano), but of course I do not use warp mode for the recorded clips since I want to maintain pristine quality of the originally recorded sound. Once I change tempo, like you said, my warped consolidated clips will bring audible artifacts to originally recorded piano or field recording samples. OK, I can select all clips in the arrangement at some point and turn warp mode off for all of them, but having to remember doing it at some point is a no go....

I wish I could just disable auto-warping for the whole project. People work differently, long john. Consider paying some respect to other ways of working.

Andrejs
/*
    and some sad melodies
    - sekito kisen
*/