Question about recording latency ! Nudge by Nature ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Laura_Live

Question about recording latency ! Nudge by Nature ?

Post by Laura_Live » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:36 pm

Hello everyone,

when recording vocals at Buffersize 64 with 1.5 ms of recording, will Live automatically correct the latency and move the recorded file 1.5 ms on the right spot or do I have to do it after I recorded ?

Thanks for helping

Laura 8O 8O

Tone Deft

Re: Question about recording latency ! Nudge by Nature ?

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:20 pm

Track Delay (bottom of each track, might be minimized) is used for that. but only apply it during playback. try playing with it while bouncing to another track to see what it does.

when Live is setup for me with large latencies I just say screw it and move the start marker after I'm done.

as for latency, Live or any DAW can't actually report what the true latency is.

hth.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:29 pm

are you talking about within the headset (monitoring)?

64 is really low buffer size. I'm surprised you're hearing much latency. It can be adjusted out so that you don't hear it, but even if you do, when you record and play back it should be fine. In the past I've had to turn off the vocal track in my headset because the latency made such a reverb effect on what I was hearing that it was causing me to change the tempo of my vocals.

There are 2 places that you can adjust.
1. in Live's preferences - if you can get down to around 13 ms overall latency in there you shouldn't hear too much madness in your headset.
2. on your soundcard/mixer's interface on your computer.

Have you fiddled with the settings in both of those spots?

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:12 pm

Thank you, I am aware of how to change the settings etc, also my question was not related to monitoring issues but rather if the recorded waveform is already automatically put in place by Live to compensate for the 1.5 ms latency or whether I have to always set my track delay after I recorded the vocals so that it is *like it was recorded*...??

8O 8O

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:18 pm

you have to tweak it yourself or use the track delay.

Live wouldn't be able to move it on its own because it can't tell what your latency really is. Live sits inside your computer, oblivious to the outside world. it might ask the sound card what its delays are, Live can calculate what Live is doing and compensate for that but there's other stuff in between that can add to the latency. something like that, it's been a while since I've read up on that aspect of DAWs.

this looks to be a good practical talk on the matter, it doesn't address the geekshit of Live not being able to report the true latency, but that's an aside.
http://www.chinesepuzzlerecording.com/h ... tency.html

or google around for more info.

hth and it's not too much of a ramble.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:27 pm

I have never had an issue with the recording not being where it should after I hit stop, just the sound during recording not being as it should. Does that make sense?

I don't know that Live is nudging or being told to nudge by a setting that I am adjusting other than the latency settings. It would seem to me that if you actually are ending up with your vocals in a different spot than where you recorded them that the equipment (or its drivers) could be to blame rather than Live.

What type of interface/soundcard/mixer are you using to capture audio?

Are you moving the audio back in time or ahead when making your corrections?
If ahead, I would think that there is some type of bottleneck on the input side.
If back, I would tend to think that there is some type of bottleneck on the output side - that you hear when you start singing, in other words, slowed play back.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:51 pm

Isnt this something the "Driver Error Compensation" setup/tutorial sorts out? Or am I reading this wrong?

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:45 pm

Donnie wrote:Isnt this something the "Driver Error Compensation" setup/tutorial sorts out? Or am I reading this wrong?
you are exactly right, the driver error compensation moves the recorded material how ever much you set it for

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:53 pm

So yeah, Laura_Live, just look up the tutorial on "Driver Error Compensation" which directs you how to figure it all out. You will know its the right one when it tells you to wire your outputs to your inputs and stuff to do the test.

Cant tell you how many live users I find that are oblivious to this, including myself up until about 6 months ago.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 pm

:oops:

thanks!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:00 pm

Hehe I thought I was missing something since you didnt mention it earlier Tone. Either way, glad to help.

Honestly, Ableton should probably make this pop up the first time you start Live since its so incredibly vital...yet often overlooked.

Laura_Live

Post by Laura_Live » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:37 am

Indeed... there should be a button to automatically link it to the latency caused by the respective chosen buffer size..

thanks everyone