Ableton Sucks Again..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3dot...

Re: Ableton Sucks Again..

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:05 am

LOFA wrote:I hear what you are saying. I could never say I was disappointed in Ableton. I rely heavily on M4L in my set at this point in time. It's like the whole point of Frankenstein: if you mess around in god's country, you can expect some major instability.
hehe..
God's ALL analog ..

I bought M4L exactly so I can build my dream-setup...
and save it within my DAW...
(it falls a bit short for what I'm wanting in that department...no access to params within racks..no sysex)
but I'm experiencing more crahes with it..
the shell needs to be solid..
besides that .. always wanted to delve into Max but couldn't justify it for the price..
I wholeheartedly thank Ableton for giving me that chance on a saner price-range.
and within their DAW...

that said.. I can't stand for crashes ..
not while I intend to play me 'dream-setup' live..
and not when I'm building/composing/jamming...
that's the disappointing factor..

I searched this forum far and wide to maybe find a setup that works for everyone...
but couldn't..
not even MAC (was willing to convert for that end..) which is the closest to a 'closed system' as a computer can get..

I'm all for Ableton's new move. take your time. make it more stable.
I know it's not a simple task..
at this point I'm waiting patiently ...
bite my tongue ..count to 10 each time it crashes..
save frequently..pace myself..
test and re-test everything..
it crashes.. I go back..
I reserve the right to vent a little here..
I'm still a good-will ambassador of Live in the real world...

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:21 am

3dot... wrote:I'm still a good-will ambassador of Live in the real world...
+1

scientist

Post by scientist » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:25 am

i think it's worth pointing out that a lot of the people complaining now have run up a sizable number of posts on the board. sure, a lot of posts are bullshit but at the very least a high post count shows some sort of dedication to live and the ableton community.

i'd estimate that at least 50% of my posts come from beta testing periods, spanning testing for almost every version (i started on v1.5). i've put a ton of time into making live function correctly because my livelihood depends on it, and until recently this method has worked well. not so with version 8. here it is nearly a year later and (for me at least) things are worse off than they were at the start. why the hell did i spend a good portion of my spare time beta testing 8 when ten months later it is in the state it is in? the time was completely wasted. so, if all the effort i put in months ago amounts to a still unstable product, why in hell would i put any MORE time in? it defies logic.
Dennis DeSantis wrote:There's not much more that can be said right now. If you're having crashes with the current versions of Live, and you are depending on it for live performance, then it's probably best to consider an alternative solution until things are working better for you.
this is a profoundly depressing statement.
i passed the tipping point a couple weeks ago. in stock parlance, i've moved from "strong buy" to "hold".

oddtones001

Post by oddtones001 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:40 am

I'm glad that everyone who bitches and gripes does. I'll know when it's actually time to upgrade to 8. I'm just a hobbyist making music that most of you would most likely think is shit. I do it for my own entertainment and for my friends who like it or who are just being nice. I don't depend on Live or Logic to make a living or for a few extra bucks, but I do expect a DAW to work as advertised. Not many problems with the latest version of 7. I had some issues tonight with Automat crashing my shit. Plogue was fucking up too , but I don't know if it was a Live thing or not. 7 works great with the Launchpad and it's easy to use with my TI Snow and is stable so no need to spend what i can't afford this week or the next on an upgrade that isn't stable. Thanks to all of you who keep us informed. You guys can be intimidating at times but you do know your shit. This forum has helped me so much since I first started using Live. I'm usually too impatient and not bright enough to RTFM to get what I get from what is posted here. The other bullshit posted here that has nothing to do with Live is pretty funny sometimes. I'm not upgrading until the bitch and gripe level drops a bit. Abelton support has been great. When I had problems with a Korg product, I was too embarrassed to post that question here and the Abelton guy walked me right through it. Korg support were dickheads and acted like they didn't understand or didn't want to be bothered, reminded me of Apple. Korg told me to contact Abelton. That was the most useful info I got from them. It's late and I have no idea where this thread is going so good night/morning.
Mac Pro quad 2.6 ghz, OS X 10.6.8,Rosetta 200,Apogee X-FireWire card,Joe MeekVC1Q,MS2000, Logic 9,Live 8,Operator,Mackie Big Knob, JBL LSR 4328s,Audio Technica,AKG,Neumann,Radius,Virus TI Snow,PadKontrol,Launchpad, Maschine, Tempest.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am

well, if you go by that you're going to be waiting a long time. People have been bitching about ableton here nonstop since around v4 or 5.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

dum

Post by dum » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:06 am

mr leisure muffin is right.
it's just a coincidence that people bitching about ableton's business practises (advertising functions that aren't delivered until the guts of a year later) as early as v5 are completely vindicated now by what seems to be popular opinion, acknowledgement from the ceo, and what seems to be the most unstable release yet even for the most unrelenting and delusional fanboys.

total coincidence.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:35 am

8.0.9 is still available for download, just be tricky and you reach it.

I mp loopStationZebra with the links but here they are both macosx and windows:
two links for each :arrow: first ones are live then it's suite
hope it can help some :wink:

robleighton22

Post by robleighton22 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:51 am

3dot... wrote:
davepermen wrote:"we all know 8 is battered.."
except for all those WHERE IT WORKS?

yes, there are problems for SOME, and there are too much problems. but for very many, there AREN'T really problems.
I highly doubt that...
it's probably more like this:
SOME people are not really creating crash scenarios...
cuz it's pretty well documented that live8 IS ultra-buggy ....
crashing way too much for a live performance app...
i find 8.1.1 fine.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:19 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

If you really need access to 8.0.9, a short-term solution would be to download the current Live Intro installer. This version is still based on 8.0.9, and will become a full version of Live/Suite when authorized with a full-version serial number.
OK - if you really dont have a binary of 8.0.9 anymore then this smacks of huge issues with your development process - do you not have a properly build/release process with archiving of each build and especially all releases builds?

Perhaps your past reliability has just been luck, but now the product is bigger and more complex, but you still do it the old way? Sounds like you need a proper experienced development manager with solid development process experience. Sorry - not meaning to tell you to suck eggs, but ive seen this so many times with smaller dev companies getting to a certain point with their product, then it all falls apart until the development process is improved sufficiently and this usually means getting a suitably skilled and experienced dev/build/release manager in place.

Same with access - fine for years, then the Virus TI fiasco which still isnt anywhere near as reliable as it should be... NI too suffer from this. Actually if you look around this market, there are loads of examples of companies that have reached this critical point where the product just seems to fall apart.

Anyway - give them time, Im sure they will learn from this like many companies do (at least they recognise and publically acknowldge the issue, whether they know exactly what to do about it remain to be seen - I hope so), or they will turn into steinberg and we will do what the ex cubase users in here did when Cubase went pear shaped winge for a while - maybe give them 6-months to a year of increasingly sarcy remarks, then eventually accept that nothing will change and so find something better and move on (again) :)
Last edited by Khazul on Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nothing to see here - move along!

twisted-space

Post by twisted-space » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:14 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
Hermanus wrote:8.0.9 is still available for download, just be tricky and you reach it.

I mp loopStationZebra with the links but here they are both macosx and windows:
two links for each :arrow: first ones are live then it's suite
hope it can help some :wink:

Downloading now. Don't know why Ableton can't make this known when people are asking for it though.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:42 pm

Strictly from production (not live performance) perspective: I've decided to stay with 8.0.8, as I have done a few tunes with it and it has been stable even under a lot of stress. Tried and tested, so to speak.

I would like to update to the newest version, but I'm wary of the changed file format that isn't backwards compatible. I keep reading about the issues, and I don't want to end up in a situation where I already have some important work done in a newer version, and then find out it bugs out on me, and can't revert back to 8.0.8 to finish up.

I understand there was a real need for the new format, but considering the guessing game with the dependability of each new version, it really hit at a bad time :|

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:51 pm

dum wrote:mr leisure muffin is right.
it's just a coincidence that people bitching about ableton's business practises (advertising functions that aren't delivered until the guts of a year later) as early as v5 are completely vindicated now by what seems to be popular opinion, acknowledgement from the ceo, and what seems to be the most unstable release yet even for the most unrelenting and delusional fanboys.

Exactly right, b.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm visiting the same forum as others. While there may well have been complaints about Live for ages, the number of diehard fanboys (count me among them) who are suddenly experiencing problems AND posting about them on the forum has skyrocketed.

Christ. Even one of Ableton's FEATURED ARTISTS, Zoe Keating, started a thread in support in which she blasted 8.1.1, and told Ableton that they should probably remove her from the featured artists' list because she was moving to Logic.

ffs.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 pm

LOFA wrote:
+1
+1, i even gave a workshop / introduction in bratislava before the party i was playing at last weekend. well people where happy, but i had problems...

it is nice to explain how wonderful it is that live is all realtime and such, and then you create tracks, move devices, etc. and it crackles all the time a tiny bit doing that :| ,
i do complain around here, to hopefully avoid embarrassment (for the product) like that in public in the future.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:08 pm

robleighton22 wrote:
3dot... wrote:
davepermen wrote:"we all know 8 is battered.."
except for all those WHERE IT WORKS?

yes, there are problems for SOME, and there are too much problems. but for very many, there AREN'T really problems.
I highly doubt that...
it's probably more like this:
SOME people are not really creating crash scenarios...
cuz it's pretty well documented that live8 IS ultra-buggy ....
crashing way too much for a live performance app...
i find 8.1.1 fine.
what's your system specs?
..and what's your average set track count (including aux)?
any 3rd party vsts ?

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:30 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
dum wrote:mr leisure muffin is right.

Exactly right, b.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm visiting the same forum as others. While there may well have been complaints about Live for ages, the number of diehard fanboys (count me among them) who are suddenly experiencing problems AND posting about them on the forum has skyrocketed.

Christ. Even one of Ableton's FEATURED ARTISTS, Zoe Keating, started a thread in support in which she blasted 8.1.1, and told Ableton that they should probably remove her from the featured artists' list because she was moving to Logic.

ffs.

ok, you're both right, i guess all the work that i've been doing on 8.0.9 is imaginary. sorry that i was smart enough not to buy m4l or install the update that included it. still just a fanboy here i guess. its not like i play gigs or write music with this shit...

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o