Ableton Sucks Again..

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cryptic UK

Re: Ableton Sucks Again..

Post by Cryptic UK » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:37 pm

SUCK!
Drums

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:39 pm

esky wrote: I agree that the persistance of some people reminding that Live 8 is not stable for a lot of users hopefully leads to a better product in the end, but i doubt that whining or insults or aggressive behaviour or whatever are helpful. Especially when used like the already mentioned record...

meh.

Persistance of some people aside, the last 2 weeks have seen quite a few long time users who have NEVER had a problem suddenly have issues - usually with snap/crackle/pop in one form or another. I've been debating whether or not to start a new BITCH thread. I know it's pointless and lame, but wtf. I was pretty cool about my new problem at first. But after Ableton refused to drop me a download for 8.0.9 (because I missed it the first time around), my attitude has changed entirely.

I never had a problem with Live 8.1.1. I even started a thread saying how awesome it was. Woohoo! Then, suddenly, it craps out. I've gone back and forth with Ableton support. One guy tested my rig. Couldn't duplicate the problem. Go figure.

I went and rebuilt my latest set with 8.0.8 (which was always stable, btw). But now, the Launchpad crackles with every button push. Lame. I'd missed out on 8.0.9 and was hoping that would solve my remaining issue. In one email from Ableton, the guy actually tells me that I should try 8.1.1 because that's the latest version.

Kill. Me. Now.

All I know is this: Gerhard makes this heartfelt apology with lots of blubbering about how they dropped the ball with quality or whatever. Says that things will change. But in the meantime they can't even throw me a .dmg of 8.0.9? That's fucking lame. Sorry. I don't care what the fucking excuse is. Or the concern about how it's not the latest version or server bandwidth or drive space or space aliens. Don't give a rat's ass. What, are they worried that I'm going to not realize it's the latest version? Or that I'm going to sell it on the black market? Or that pretty much everyone will be asking for past versions? Or that IT MIGHT ACTUALLY SOLVE MY PROBLEM? Whatever excuse they have, it's not good enough.

Whatever. Brah. Ableton can do what they will. They seem to operate without impunity. I really thought it was cool that Gerhard wrote that piece. Now I don't believe a fucking word of it. To think I used to be such the Fanboy. Christ. I've got like 3 Ableton t-shirts. How fucking lame is that? meh. I have no trust or faith in Ableton anymore, and certainly won't be an early adopter for Live9. I'm hoping that one of 2 things happen, and I don't care which:

1. Another company emerges and crushes Ableton with a superior piece of software that is as stable as it is innovative.
2. Ableton sends me a copy of 8.0.9, gets their shit together, and dominates the world forever.

:|
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi folks,

If you really need access to 8.0.9, a short-term solution would be to download the current Live Intro installer. This version is still based on 8.0.9, and will become a full version of Live/Suite when authorized with a full-version serial number.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:22 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

If you really need access to 8.0.9, a short-term solution would be to download the current Live Intro installer. This version is still based on 8.0.9, and will become a full version of Live/Suite when authorized with a full-version serial number.
that is the spirit!

besides all problems ableton rocks! it is not a shame having problems... it is all about finding solutions, as i said pressure is healthy and will lead to solution. :wink:
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 pm

SubFunk wrote:pressure is healthy and will lead to solution. :wink:
we'll see if the whiny people have the maturity to admit when Live is working well for them and can man up with just as many positive vibes.

is a whine free forum possible? me thinks not, I'm going to whine about that.

/wah

meh, Happy Friday!!!!!!! AT LAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!

question is, do I go into work or not?? :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZclddLcOYYA
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:43 pm

davepermen wrote:"we all know 8 is battered.."
except for all those WHERE IT WORKS?

yes, there are problems for SOME, and there are too much problems. but for very many, there AREN'T really problems.

Than just give the SOME theire update money back ... If its just a few it cant be a big deal or?

And i have given ableton enough good vibes in the past.. made many peolple to get into this trap and adviced the SAE in Berlin to include it into theire teachings.. thats enough in advance and too much to deserve such a mess
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
SubFunk wrote:pressure is healthy and will lead to solution. :wink:
we'll see if the whiny people have the maturity to admit when Live is working well for them and can man up with just as many positive vibes.

is a whine free forum possible? me thinks not, I'm going to whine about that.

/wah

meh, Happy Friday!!!!!!! AT LAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSST!!!!!!!!

question is, do I go into work or not?? :?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZclddLcOYYA
absolute fair point!

totally agree on admitting when it is working / solved. 9like me with 8.1.1 untill it started again to screw for no obvious reasons, out of the blue... :cry: and i can't pinpoint the shit myself, even worse.)

as for a forum without whining, nah... that is the best place to do it right? :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:51 pm

If Live is really giving you enough trouble that you'd like your money back, I suggest you contact customer care. It is, unfortunately, beyond my power to issue refunds via discussion in the forum.

Best,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:If Live is really giving you enough trouble that you'd like your money back, I suggest you contact customer care. It is, unfortunately, beyond my power to issue refunds via discussion in the forum.

Best,
speaking for myself, i don't want my money back at all... i wait for 8.1.2 in high hopes... i love live and like to use it trouble free, that is all.
but i understand angry people, it is one of the most expensive audio software sequencer products around right now... go figure.
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:06 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:If Live is really giving you enough trouble that you'd like your money back, I suggest you contact customer care. It is, unfortunately, beyond my power to issue refunds via discussion in the forum.

Best,

problem is that i need my content created in L 8 for the next shows coming up end of march,
..and i am getting more than nervous now because thats only 5 weeks left..

Do you get this shit fixed now? can i risk to go on stage with it? will you guaranty me stability as you did in the past?

i cant afford more crashes on stage.. otherwise this gets a reputation..
I probably should give up on my L8 content get my money back and buy an mpc...
Actually.. maybe a good idea

I would hate when people see me using live on stage.. dont feel the wish to promote it anymore

2 nord modulars and a mpc sounds like a reasonable weapon.. could run reaktor as standalone for the grain shit..
and the show would go on even when somebody would steal the laptop

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:41 pm

you don't have a version of your Live set saved in Live 8.0 or Live 7.x?

that's your shortcoming. be a pro, right?

you can't open two copies of Live, 8.1 and 8.0 and make a brand new fresh .als from a blank template?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:06 pm

i am not one of theese guys that is doing play back on stage,.. i actually write the tracks.. in big parts at least.. i need my sounds sets..drum machines.. special delay cascades.. and so on...

i tryed to go back to L7..too much work..totally kills my motivation to do all this twice.. and belive me..afer doing this shit for over 20 years the motivation is the most valuable good.. ther is nothing to proove and with the concurence situation on the over filled techno market not much to win..just showing that you are still there.. and than having all the time this shitty pain thru your trusted software..

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:15 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Thank you, Dennis.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm

davepermen wrote:"we all know 8 is battered.."
except for all those WHERE IT WORKS?

yes, there are problems for SOME, and there are too much problems. but for very many, there AREN'T really problems.
I really do not understand what point you are trying to make. Or rather, it's a bit amusing that you defend software based on the fact that it works fine for SOME. You base your arguments on the fact that it's working for you. And you even word it as if the fact that it works fine for some makes up for the fact that it does not work for others. That is what the word "but" implies in "but for very many, there AREN'T really problems". Well that makes me feel better. Just knowing that if I had this one guy's exact setup and used Live exactly the way he does (which could be any multitude of the functionalities in Live or whatever fraction of them), it would be perfectly stable, that's comforting. Nice that you stick up for Live strictly based on how it works for you. And what if you were one of the ones who were having a lot of problems? Would you change sides and become one of the vocal ones you put down? Or would you suffer in silence? If the latter, let me just say I'm glad it is others who have problems so that ableton hear about it and are forced to deal with it. I love ableton, but I think with Live 8, they do do need a bit of a kick in the pants and I think the "squeaky wheels" are a big part of the reason Live is getting the oil (ie. bug fix efforts coming up).

For the record, I'm not someone who is finding Live unusable by any means. But I do get 4 or 5 crashes a day only using for a couple hours at most after work (I do also use Logic and can't honestly remember the last time I had a crash with it). Live is stable enough for me to use fairly happily, usually. But would I trust Live on stage? No. And seeing that it is primarily a live performance software, I'd like to be able to trust it the way I could with Live 6.
Professional Shark Jumper.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:27 pm

3phase - that blows. I have no doubt your Live show is more than just playback, if you ever head this way, give me a shout out. :D

I've been working on a large set, fulfilling my dream of having a large set of breakbeats and drums to play with. I've put many many hours into it. then one day I saved it as an 8.1 beta and couldn't use it for a few weeks. I was crushed but learned a hard lesson, ALWAYS save a set in older versions of Live before moving to a new one. I NEVER thought about that before. I rarely ever thought about doing revisions, now it's a top priority.

remind me one day for us to look back at all this and laugh. ;) I don't rely on Live to make a living, it's just a hobby for me, but I can understand your frustration. best of luck!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz