Kontakt or EXS24 Libraries for Sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pyramid Audio

Kontakt or EXS24 Libraries for Sampler?

Post by Pyramid Audio » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:12 pm

If I have a choice, and assuming these are non-encrypted libraries, is it preferable to use a Kontakt library, or an EXS24 library?

JBlongz

Re: Kontakt or EXS24 Libraries for Sampler?

Post by JBlongz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:22 pm

I'd recommend EXS24 files because Live just imports the patch file and simply references the samples. Some readable formats duplicate the samples...at least that's what I gathered from reading the manual.

I used to import some of my EXS files, but I have over 6,000 presets which makes a lot of work to be done. Since Live has not batch import, I decided to no longer waste my time. I use Kontakt 4, which imports and organizes files like Kore 2 software. I save a lot of time by saving a 16channel group track preset with audio and midi prerouted using Kontakt AU and 16 external instrument tracks. That way they load EVEN FASTER than just dragging the plugin itself from the plugin list. If you have Kontakt 4, I'd be glad to send you my preset. I do this for all of my most used plugins like Philharmonik, Sampletank, etc.
Last edited by JBlongz on Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:04 pm

You're going to have to try both as it really depends on a few factors...

I find that converting EXS24 files is quicker at first, but I've had less luck with retaining envelope values from the EXS24 format compared to Kontakt format, which means more work adjusting everything later... which you probably still will need to do, but at least from my experience converting from Kontakt format gives you a good place to start from.

If you know something has been heavily scripted in Kontakt format, then definitely go with EXS24.

It's probably best to try a couple patches in each format and see which is better.

Another option is to also ask on the forum in case anyone has already done the conversion you want.

theophilus

Post by theophilus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:43 pm

do you need them in sampler at all? if they have heavy kontakt scripting, you might want it - an example is that in some of the drum packages, scripting is used to alternate between left and right hand drum hits. Some new orchestral libraries (really expensive huge ones that I can't afford :) use the scripting to implement legatos - if you play C, then E, at the E it will actually play a sample of a C release followed by the E. So you will lose some articulation by not using kontakt.

But, some kontakt libraries are 'locked' iirc - you have to unlock them in kontakt, and those won't import into Sampler I wouldn't think.

If it's open, then getting the kontakt versions lets you have the best of both worlds - you can use it in kontakt and get the scripting if you want, or use it in sampler and get the integrated live workflow + any sampler features you use.

The EXS24 version should have raw samples included too (in .aif usually, but sometimes in .wav format) if you need those. Live may create those automatically for a kontakt import though, not sure.

If it's in locked Kontakt format or exs24... you have to decide if you'd rather have the scripting, or the raw wave forms. For orchestral stuff, scripting probably important; for evolving atmospheres, probably having raw wave files to use in sampler would be more important.