Crashes... It's such a shame.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
oldbetseysatan

Crashes... It's such a shame.

Post by oldbetseysatan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:09 pm

I'm generally more of a Pro Tools and Logic user and mainly use Live for 'live with band' work (a few backing tracks now and then and a really efficient way to organize synths we use on stage etc) and then dabble in Live as an effect in the studio.

For the last few weeks though I've been using it daily as my exclusive DAW in the hopes of becoming more intuitive with it so that eventually a friend of mine and I can start collaborating together - He's on PC/Cubase and I'm obviously MAC so Live is common ground for us.

The problem is it crashes at least 5 times every session. And to be honest I'm starting to find I just don't, hmmm, trust it?

I must say that in the 5 years I've used Live on stage I have never had a single crash during a performance. Mind you I'm not a DJ with huge sets loaded up and I certainly don't push it but regardless, it's been rock solid.

But in the studio when I'm trying to really get into the grind it's just not holding up.

Whether I'm adding or removing plugs/instruments/tracks, editing midi, jumping between session/arrange, auditioning things via the browser, this thing just keeps on crashing.

Crash. Crash. Crash. It's such a shame.

This worst thing is that I actually found myself wasting time with a little internal debate today about whether I should go back to Logic/PT for composing and just deal with exporting all the files to my friend.

I hate that feeling. And it makes me sad to not have confidence in this software.

Oh well. I guess the forums don't need another moan but having just sat through my 3rd spinning ball and losing a synth I'd spent the last 20 minutes mangling, well...

I know. Save. Save. Save. But I'm even getting crashes when saving sometimes too.

Sigh.

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

Tone Deft

Re: Crashes... It's such a shame.

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:12 pm

oldbetseysatan wrote:I must say that in the 5 years I've used Live on stage I have never had a single crash during a performance.
it's quite simple, go back to Live 7, 6, 5, 4 or 3.

"doctor, it hurts when I do this..."
"then stop doing that."
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:22 pm

Yes that is simple.

Still a shame that it's even necessary but it is indeed a solution.

R.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:25 pm

give it time... I hope. 8O :lol:

FWIW there have been more than a few times I thought of starting a thread to vent about a crash, just to give me something to do while I wait for the computer to settle after a reboot. "post here every time Live crashes" kind of thing. I feel ya.

I've used 7 since I got 8 and it's just not the same. I really missed grouping tracks.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:30 am

Just reinstalled 7 and I might be wrong but it sure does seem more snappy.

Not nearly as processor intensive with the same (or at least very similar) template loaded up.

I'll give it a few days back at 7 and see how I get along.

Spent the last week building and mapping custom VST/AU devices and they can't be loaded in 8. :evil: ... Ho Hum.

R.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:46 am

still at work here, using a $50k per seat software program. it just crashed for the second time today.

fuck it, let's go bowling.

/vent
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:11 am

i cant go back in the studio but on stage we can.
where can i download live 7 from people ?

best
j :)

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:07 am

sorry to spam here but, in order to be fair with ableton too, I have to add:
NO crashed here with 8.1.1, max for live and max 5.1.3 !
NO crash during 4hours sessions...
with VST, with a big interface patch with around 100 live.remote~ , JS etc...
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:16 am

julienb wrote:sorry to spam here but, in order to be fair with ableton too, I have to add:
NO crashed here with 8.1.1, max for live and max 5.1.3 !
NO crash during 4hours sessions...
with VST, with a big interface patch with around 100 live.remote~ , JS etc...
This week
live would not start 3 times with each time it forze a restart was needed. On average 7 restarts per freeze were needed to unblock the issue . Approx time 30 mins per stick.

Other times like this morning it opens no problem.

I am patient and 90 percent of the time i can live with all these issues but on the other hand when it crashed the other night at 11.30 pm when recording (with no apparent reason as we simply added a plugin we have been using with no issues at all for the last 3 yeasr) and it took us 30 mins to restart and get live to open then that is a bit of an issue. We were bang in the creative flow. But again that is not a major league stuff hear mearly slightly frustrating.
Also once i did get live to final start to open up from the 11.30 pm session i used the option to recover live set and this also froze 3 times. Retrieve set would not work. This has also happend several times recently. I retrieved more or less where we were before the intial crash manually and from memory. Sometimes though the unrepeatable musical event happens and well you cant bring that back the way it was. But it would be better if this was not happening.

Live is 90-95 % stable for me so i can live with that - but for stage work we cant let this type of thing happen so we have a big question mark there at the moment.

Part of the solotuion i have came up with is

My moto these day is ctrl -s ctrl -s is every 30 secs or so when new developments within the set arrive

I have used that moto for years though as live has had growing pains before and expereince has engrained ctrl -s into my skull. Its now hardwired 8O and i am more frequent with it. :)
Last edited by jamief on Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:37 am, edited 6 times in total.

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:25 am

it sucks..
Julien Bayle

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:31 am

julienb wrote:it sucks..
Iam being totally honest hear - i doint think it does suck - i STILL ABsolutely love it
But i am proactive so ableton need's input from the user. i need stability for the stage 8)

best
j :D

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:36 am

reliability is required for all users where mive crashes
Julien Bayle

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:41 am

julienb wrote:reliability is required for all users where mive crashes
yes true - but in a writng capacity i dont let these issues deter me from my aim. Sometimes a brake for 10 mins from listening is a real benefit. But on stage we would be left hang by the seat of our pants and more importantly it woulkd potintially spoil our's and the audiences night as we really do like to play live and dvelop things in tune with the venues atmosphere and crowd. We like mistakes and spontienaty. With backup plans like cds and and another back up laptop on stage this would probaly be lost.perhaps not perhpas yes. but not an ideal thing. yes we have backup plans in place for this x 4 levels from complete equipment loss while travelling overseas lost luggae etc to live dieing on stage

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:48 am

It really is a shame about the crashes. The only thing that has kept me sane is the letter on improving quality and the developers current commitment to releasing a solid 8.1.2 update.

I've been successful somewhat with 8.0.9 (although I see from your sig, this is the version you're working with), but not as successful as I'd like to be using Live.

Going back to 7 is one solution, but there are far too many improvements over 7 that I don't want to lose, so I'm just being patient as possible

julienb

Post by julienb » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:52 am

elxicano wrote:It really is a shame about the crashes. The only thing that has kept me sane is the letter on improving quality and the developers current commitment to releasing a solid 8.1.2 update.

I've been successful somewhat with 8.0.9 (although I see from your sig, this is the version you're working with), but not as successful as I'd like to be using Live.

Going back to 7 is one solution, but there are far too many improvements over 7 that I don't want to lose, so I'm just being patient as possible

if you read carefully: http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=137018, you'd read that this beta cycle isn't about the quality post of the CEO.
but indeed, it sucks. I agree.
Julien Bayle