being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
SubFunk

Re: being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:44 pm

davepermen wrote:interesting to call live sample based, when I'm only using live devices, but no samples.. to each it's own way.
+1

i primarily use AU synths, etc. hardly, except some single hit drum sounds, ever samples.

on the other hand i get the point that the whole approach of ableton feels somehow loop / sample based.

(well midi came pretty late into the game, it really was a sample based loop player, that was the main reason why i jumped pretty late onto it, with V5, i know midi came with 4, though)
*** Image GAFM ***

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:07 pm

Don't worry about the criticism, there are still luddites out there who criticize the invention of electricity and others who would prefer to live in a feudal system and barter chickens for goats.

Just flash your wad of cash at the guy and go mwah,ha, ha, ha, ha :twisted:

and if he continues to get on your tits, rabbit punch him when he's not looking and when he's down on the ground pull out your dick and pee on him, screaming 'that's how I DJ, mwahaha mwahaha :twisted: ' as stated before. That'll learn the f#^$er :) Optional extra : defecate on him and use a large pointy stick in the excrement to write 'Live sucks' on the guys face. That'll double learn him.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:11 pm

^^^ he he funny, and i always thought i am the aggressive one around here!? :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

smutek wrote:As if it isn't enough to get ragged on by actual musicians us Dj's now have to fight amongst ourselves regarding what constitutes a "real dj".
QFT.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:11 pm

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:Kirk is too modest.
:lol:

First:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:I'm sick of saying it (mainly cos it makes me sound like a big-headed jerk), but I was the first pro-"DJ" to use Ableton exclusively for sets. D
Followed by:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:as for the 'first pro-DJ thing' - I really didn't mean it to come across as conceited - but I guess statements like that
always come out sounding like shit... especially from the mouths of DJ's/producers!
hmmm. Ok Kirk, fair enough.

Then a few posts later as if its a joke:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:well being OFFICIALLY THE FIRST PRO DJ TO USE LIVE EXCLUSIVELY FOR DJING ( :lol: ), I have come across a lot of issues
modest huh? :lol:
there's a limit to humility. ^ this is past it.

Kirk Degiorgio

Post by Kirk Degiorgio » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:15 pm

H20nly wrote:
RonaldDumsfeld wrote:Kirk is too modest.
:lol:

First:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:I'm sick of saying it (mainly cos it makes me sound like a big-headed jerk), but I was the first pro-"DJ" to use Ableton exclusively for sets. D
Followed by:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:as for the 'first pro-DJ thing' - I really didn't mean it to come across as conceited - but I guess statements like that
always come out sounding like shit... especially from the mouths of DJ's/producers!
hmmm. Ok Kirk, fair enough.

Then a few posts later as if its a joke:
Kirk Degiorgio wrote:well being OFFICIALLY THE FIRST PRO DJ TO USE LIVE EXCLUSIVELY FOR DJING ( :lol: ), I have come across a lot of issues
modest huh? :lol:
there's a limit to humility. ^ this is past it.
ermm.. that was clearly a joke.
http://www.planetary-folklore.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/kirkdegiorgio

Mac Pro 8 Core, 2GB RAM, OS 10.5.8, Logic 9.02, Live 8.1.3, Prism Sound Orpheus.
MacBook Pro 2.26ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, OS 10.6.3, Live 8.1.3, Akai APC40, NI Audio 4DJ.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:17 pm

Trypset wrote:This argument/debate will never end.

DJ's came first. They jockey disc on turntables that play records, even be it timecode now.

The their are CD DJs, they jockey CD's on CD turntables that play CD's

Then there are people who imitate what DJ's do with these tools with a computer and possibly some controllers. It's not the same thing, and neither is the end result. So why call yourself the same thing? Just drop the label/term DJ and be an artist, mixer, performer, whatever you want to call yourself, make up a new word, but it's not DJing. It's an imitation of DJing. Hell maybe people think they are above DJing, who cares because it is totally different. The only thing in common is that you are making the speakers bump. Guitar players do that do, cover bands who play only other peoples songs don't call themselves DJs...

Not taking away from the different skills involved or saying one is better than the other, but people call apples apples for a reason and oranges oranges for a reason. If you are mixing music off a computer then that's exactly what you are doing, mixing music off a computer. If you are using ableton to so call DJ, without playing any original beats, basslines, fills then why aren't you using the traditional tools of a DJ? Automechanics don't use the same tools as a carpenter. That's why they are called automechanics and carpenters are called carpenters.

Pee is the answer, still.
There is a limit to this shit too...

DJs started out flipping records. Was "Disc Jockey" even an endearing term? There was no skill involved other than that deep sexy voice talkin shit between tracks.
Don't try to church it up kid. If you wanna talk about what a DJ is at the root level... its not all that much. Neither was skateboarding. 1000's of tricks later though...

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:42 pm

I was brought up on the rough council estates of South Leeds, so if you were a hippie, wore make up or didn't want to mess up your manicure, or someone called out your DJing, be prepared for a beating ...My grandmother who lived in Seacroft beat the crap out of a teen who broke into her house for drug money with a cane, she was my hero.

I'm all for peace love and understanding - but when trouble is kicking off, I'm all for random peeing on some guy who is getting on my nerves :lol:

Anyone wanna join Axel and me in our crew, Kombat Ableton :lol:
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:54 pm

leedsquietman wrote:I was brought up on the rough council estates of South Leeds, so if you were a hippie, wore make up or didn't want to mess up your manicure, or someone called out your DJing, be prepared for a beating ...My grandmother who lived in Seacroft beat the crap out of a teen who broke into her house for drug money with a cane, she was my hero.

I'm all for peace love and understanding - but when trouble is kicking off, I'm all for random peeing on some guy who is getting on my nerves :lol:

Anyone wanna join Axel and me in our crew, Kombat Ableton :lol:
yeah, i hear you!

similar here, working class background, managed a way better education than anyone else previous in my family... i am also a real super peaceful housecat in reality until you call for real trouble, then i turn pretty quick brutal and you have a broken bottle in your face before you can even flick with your eyebrow. (mind you i had to deal with real mafia in eastern europe running the club, i know what it means to deal with people who are willing to take your life for more or less nothing)
*** Image GAFM ***

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:02 pm

H20nly wrote:
Trypset wrote:This argument/debate will never end.

DJ's came first. They jockey disc on turntables that play records, even be it timecode now.

The their are CD DJs, they jockey CD's on CD turntables that play CD's

Then there are people who imitate what DJ's do with these tools with a computer and possibly some controllers. It's not the same thing, and neither is the end result. So why call yourself the same thing? Just drop the label/term DJ and be an artist, mixer, performer, whatever you want to call yourself, make up a new word, but it's not DJing. It's an imitation of DJing. Hell maybe people think they are above DJing, who cares because it is totally different. The only thing in common is that you are making the speakers bump. Guitar players do that do, cover bands who play only other peoples songs don't call themselves DJs...

Not taking away from the different skills involved or saying one is better than the other, but people call apples apples for a reason and oranges oranges for a reason. If you are mixing music off a computer then that's exactly what you are doing, mixing music off a computer. If you are using ableton to so call DJ, without playing any original beats, basslines, fills then why aren't you using the traditional tools of a DJ? Automechanics don't use the same tools as a carpenter. That's why they are called automechanics and carpenters are called carpenters.

Pee is the answer, still.
There is a limit to this shit too...

DJs started out flipping records. Was "Disc Jockey" even an endearing term? There was no skill involved other than that deep sexy voice talkin shit between tracks.
Don't try to church it up kid. If you wanna talk about what a DJ is at the root level... its not all that much. Neither was skateboarding. 1000's of tricks later though...
k well they are still a skateboarder using a skateboard....and kid??? WTF. I don't remember being rude to anyone, just stating my opinion as everyone else. How old are you and why does it even matter? And I'm not trying to make DJ's sound high and mighty, I was trying to show my opinion on the seperate skills tasks involved, wondering why someone who is more creative even wants to call themseleves a DJ.
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:11 pm

H20nly wrote:Don't try to church it up kidz. If you wanna talk about what a DJ is at the root level... its not all that much. Neither was skateboarding. 1000's of tricks later though...
fixed

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:13 pm

Is Mr. Degiorgio still about. Or indeed anyone with podcast knowledge. Been trying to download his podcasts.

Technology moves on a quite a pace I find. I was under the impression that a podcast was something you downloaded, put on your pod and listen to at your own convenience. All I get is streaming audio. Is this now normal or am I doing something wrong?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:21 pm

RonaldDumsfeld wrote:Is Mr. Degiorgio still about. Or indeed anyone with podcast knowledge. Been trying to download his podcasts.

Technology moves on a quite a pace I find. I was under the impression that a podcast was something you downloaded, put on your pod and listen to at your own convenience. All I get is streaming audio. Is this now normal or am I doing something wrong?
you do something wrong.

i use iTunes, subscribe to certain podcasts and it downloads the latest ones automatically when they get released or i can choose manually...
stick it then onto my iPod and hooray, podcast listening away...
*** Image GAFM ***

RCUS

Post by RCUS » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:57 pm

ableton is NOT the best DJ software that's for sure.

it is however the best open sandbox for live performance of EDM in my opinion.

i played my first gig in about 8 years two weeks ago using the same live set I put in that vid on the first page (go to the first page and watch it!) It was a little nerve-wracking particularly because i am still getting used to all the built in toys i made with dummy clips and my own frankenstein workflow of 8 tracks summed to two decks routed through a compression based mixing setup.

on the contrary, the DJ's after me were using traktor and one of those jog wheel VCI-like controllers.

when the night fizzled down I asked them if I could give it a try. it was my first time on traktor, evar. there were maybe 20 people left in the place, the DJ gives me literally a 30 second tutorial on traktor and then LEAVES ME ALONE in the booth! even though there was hardly anyone in the place i was terrified and was sure a trainwreck was just minutes away! i thought at least he was going to stick around if I had questions!

funny thing is, for anyone with any basic mixing experience, that's all it took for traktor. i actually was able to mix through about 40 minutes of music, and ended up with more people on the dancefloor by the time he came back =). one thing to note.....obviously one of things he taught me was how to "double click" to sync after you drop in the next track. everything else was cake. i thought i would try beatmatching but the fact that there was no spinning platter to fine tune freaked me the hell out!

the worlflow is the difference. because the workflow is dead SET in traktor it takes so much of the guesswork out, while my Live set took three months to make and i'm still getting used to it!

I must say though, traktor was insanely fun and stress free! is that a good thing though?

the tipping point for me will be when I feel 100% competent in my Live creation, and like any other intstrument player, that comes with practice.

oh and go watch RonaldDumsfeld kid/nephew/little bro beat the crap out of that MIDI Fighter. he's going to be wicked one day!

RonaldDumsfeld

Post by RonaldDumsfeld » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:03 pm

you do something wrong. i use iTunes
Bugger. That's it then. Never had this problem before but I had to install Quicktime to get Ableton to work with AIOFF files and since I don't have, or want iTunes, it's got nowhere to download to. Apple eh. Bunch of cunts. I must be able to fix this somehow.

While I'm on. Anyone else find this amusing.

An occasional DJ and Ableton user posts up to complain about jealous & hurtful haters in the house. A real DJ and Ableton user posts up in support. Aforementioned DJ Ringtones then turn into the very same jealous and hurtful haters. You couldn't make it up.

edit: yup. that's it. Found virtual Bill and virtual Steve having their usual row about who has the biggest dick. I wish they would both fuck off and let me decide for myself.
Last edited by RonaldDumsfeld on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.