being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
andydes

Re: being accused of not being a "real DJ" with Ableton

Post by andydes » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:24 am

pix wrote:I didn't read the whole thread but just want to answer the OP's original post by saying that the more I grow in my professional career (non-music related) the more I realize the world if full of mediocre people that can't stand anyone with true talent.

"If they come at you, you're probably doing something right"

First time I heard this I thought it was an awful way to relate to others. Not anymore, specially in competitive situations like the one you describe.

Keep your mind on the prize, and don't let dicks like that ruin your nights anymore.
Screw you! You sound like one of those twats who'd rather find a solution to a problem than spend all your time trying to cover your own arse.

:twisted:

TechnoLover

Post by TechnoLover » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:24 am

memes_33 wrote:when "real" dj'ing became popular, "real" dj's were accused of not being "real" musicians.

when the tool of literacy was introduced, it was criticized because people thought that it would allow us to lose our memory. when the eraser was invented, it was criticized because it allowed people to make more mistakes. anytime a new revolutionary way of doing things emerges, people who have invested time & money & energy into the old way have resisted it. its just a fact of life with technology.

i do agree that a greater stage presence is a lot more important as laptop dj'ing becomes the norm. unless you're someone like daedelus or edison who are constantly and obviously manipulating things with their hands, bending over a computer screen and bumping your head while occasionally turning a knob isn't going to cut it in most situations. that's always been my weak spot as a performer of electronic music.
Agree!

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:36 am

TechnoLover wrote:
memes_33 wrote:when "real" dj'ing became popular, "real" dj's were accused of not being "real" musicians.

when the tool of literacy was introduced, it was criticized because people thought that it would allow us to lose our memory. when the eraser was invented, it was criticized because it allowed people to make more mistakes. anytime a new revolutionary way of doing things emerges, people who have invested time & money & energy into the old way have resisted it. its just a fact of life with technology.

i do agree that a greater stage presence is a lot more important as laptop dj'ing becomes the norm. unless you're someone like daedelus or edison who are constantly and obviously manipulating things with their hands, bending over a computer screen and bumping your head while occasionally turning a knob isn't going to cut it in most situations. that's always been my weak spot as a performer of electronic music.
Agree!
Double agree!!

Post by 102455 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:03 pm

Different people have different definitions of "what is a DJ?"...

Breaking it down to basics, it's a person playing recorded music for the entertainment of others. The 'entertainment' could be dancing, listening, whatever.

Whether that music comes from vinyl, CD, DAT, MiniDisc, iPod or computer - the person doing it is still a DJ.

The difference in peoples opinions though, is usually based on what amount of control that DJ has over what's happening.

Is the DJ relying on the equipment (e.g. Ableton Live) or not (e.g. vinyl turntables)?

There are lots of ignorant people out there who are under the impression that using playback kit that 'helps you' is "not DJing".

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:24 pm

ShelLuser wrote:I didn't read the entire thread (shame on me) but...
but nothing. you've had a year and a half to read it!

just because the OP hasn't even logged in for the last 6 months and is probably using a new nick these days gives you no excuse to be slacking. you don't get to become a world class DJ by shirking your responsibilities in DJ threads Shel. i'm faxing you a copy of 'How to DJ Right' i expect you to return to this thread with a full report on the top paid DJ skizlz out there... yes that's right, picking a playlist for a wedding.

i, no WE, expect no less than total disclosure on the subject... like; how do you know when it's time to play 'She Shook Me All Night Long'? How hard is it to beat match classic Bar Mitzvah tracks with floor shakers such as 'Whoomp There It Is' or Justin Bieber's latest release? How much Britney is too much and should Lady Gaga be reserved for when Mom and Dad are getting tipsy or as hype music to get them going?

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:46 pm

H20nly wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:I didn't read the entire thread (shame on me) but...
but nothing. you've had a year and a half to read it!

just because the OP hasn't even logged in for the last 6 months and is probably using a new nick these days gives you no excuse to be slacking. you don't get to become a world class DJ by shirking your responsibilities in DJ threads Shel. i'm faxing you a copy of 'How to DJ Right' i expect you to return to this thread with a full report on the top paid DJ skizlz out there... yes that's right, picking a playlist for a wedding.

i, no WE, expect no less than total disclosure on the subject... like; how do you know when it's time to play 'She Shook Me All Night Long'? How hard is it to beat match classic Bar Mitzvah tracks with floor shakers such as 'Whoomp There It Is' or Justin Bieber's latest release? How much Britney is too much and should Lady Gaga be reserved for when Mom and Dad are getting tipsy or as hype music to get them going?
Don't forget the #1 rule for wedding DJ's... don't forget to charge your iPod.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Serra

Post by Serra » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:38 pm

isn't that what they said about CDs? haha

http://youtu.be/BXIygTrVIHU
www.twitter.com/superstringz

Superstringz 'Revolver' on feature film, more info soon:
http://www.beatport.com/track/revolver- ... ix/2042615