Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
dum

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:48 pm

davepervman wrote:i mean it serious btw. the helping, that is.

:lol:
because:
a] the way you've been hounding him
b] as if you're going to be of some use.

I can only deduce that you are not at all serious! Or some kind of shit-touching nutter...
too close to call!
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:50 pm

well, the bashing develops the hope (it is exactly about not supporting that public beta business) that they change their attitude and pull it all back behind the curtain. making a permanent beta test circle, with a proper bug tracker and not sending e-mails and shit in... and a closed communication base via an e-mail tracker / circle between only the testers and developers, just like any other half decent software company does.

oh well, i am out. waiting for 8.1.2
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:51 pm

dum wrote:
davepervman wrote:i mean it serious btw. the helping, that is.

:lol:
because:
a] the way you've been hounding him
b] as if you're going to be of some use.

I can only deduce that you are not at all serious! Or some kind of shit-touching nutter...
too close to call!
i offered it to him previously, too. and i am serious. i could spent time with his setup, hopefully nailing down the problems he had to some specific hw-sw combination, and then report this to ableton. i'm quite good at locking down roots of errors. in his environment and setup, it looks like it happens quite regularly, even if randomly.

i always try to help. i'm not always good in forums doing so :) not at all :) but in real life, oh yes. about all my friends would be able to tell you that. i want problems to be fixed. not just hide them.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:54 pm

SubFunk wrote:well, the bashing develops the hope (it is exactly about not supporting that public beta business) that they change their attitude and pull it all back behind the curtain. making a permanent beta test circle, with a proper bug tracker and not sending e-mails and shit in... and a closed communication base via an e-mail tracker / circle between only the testers and developers, just like any other half decent software company does.

oh well, i am out. waiting for 8.1.2
if you don't have a support corner in the public forum, this looks bad. every company has that.
they have a bug tracker, and use this to handle the majority of bugs.
see my bug report: "Re: (Case ableton275973) Bug when starting two clips on launchpad while changing a parameter on Operator."

private betas are much worse than public betas, as the customer base then is lower, the amount of setups and combinations is lower, and thus the amount of found bugs is lower.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:56 pm

oh depperman..the problem is nailed since month..its L8..why do you think there is a quality anouncement...do you live behind the moon?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:59 pm

3phase wrote:oh depperman..the problem is nailed since month..its L8..why do you think there is a quality anouncement...do you live behind the moon?
no. your problem is that somehow it crashes when multicore is enabled, and that because some midi interference happens somewhere. and this "somewhere" has to be found.

how hard is it to understand that one has to find out in detail where something happens? and when? and how everything else surrounds it?

is that really so hard?

live 8 is crashing. the problem is not live 8 but some specific situation triggering a problem at a specific point inside of live. the situation to that specific point has to be found. then one can poke and poke again in the devenv to see exactly how it crashes where.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm

Subfunk is probably referring to the PAID public beta testing.
i.e: the idea that they can sell premature code, have the paying customers do the beta testing while their coding talent works on next years premature code.

they should have the permanent testers in private etc, AND a prolonged public beta test prior to release. But definitely, as I think Subfunk was saying, they need to stop expecting paying customers to be the beta testers.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

dum wrote:Subfunk is probably referring to the PAID public beta testing.
i.e: the idea that they can sell premature code, have the paying customers do the beta testing while their coding talent works on next years premature code.

they should have the permanent testers in private etc, AND a prolonged public beta test prior to release. But definitely, as I think Subfunk was saying, they need to stop expecting paying customers to be the beta testers.
i registered to the beta, downloaded it, and beta tested it months before i bought any form of live.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:01 pm

davepermen wrote:private betas are much worse than public betas, as the customer base then is lower, the amount of setups and combinations is lower, and thus the amount of found bugs is lower.
funny that all my software (audio) that is not in public betas at all! is way more stable then live8 :|

weird?

btw, i do test other software, but I DECIDED TO DO SO, i said it already, it makes ALL the difference in the world, being forced to it, or not!

just like i was happy to test 8 when it was proper beta. now i want to use it, period.

and the other software i am testing is always usable ones it gets public, btw.

damn you pulled me into it again... i don't want to complain anymore... i just want a normal use out of live again.

i am frustrated, because i love it and can't use it properly right now, utterly frustrated.

peace!
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:02 pm

never argue with retards.. first the bring you down on theiere level and than they beat you with experiance
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

SubFunk wrote:
davepermen wrote:private betas are much worse than public betas, as the customer base then is lower, the amount of setups and combinations is lower, and thus the amount of found bugs is lower.
funny that all my software (audio) that is not in public betas at all! is way more stable then live8 :|

weird?
yes, very. as any bigger software company doesn't do it that way anymore, as they learned that it doesn't work well (microsoft does public beta of ANY software by now, f.e.. they didn't before. most other major software vendors do the same)
btw, i do test other software, but I DECIDED TO DO SO, i said it already, it makes ALL the difference in the world, being forced to it, or not!

just like i was happy to test 8 when it was proper beta. now i want to use it, period.
and it should be that way. yes. you decide for A-Z bughunting, and want the W-Z product afterward. fully agreed. and they failed. fully agreed.
and the other software i am testing is always usable ones it gets public, btw.
live isn't for all, and that shouldn't be. indeed.
damn you pulled me into it again... i don't want to complain anymore... i just want a normal use out of live again.

i am frustrated, because i love it and can't use it properly right now, utterly frustrated.

peace!
and i'm frustrated to see all that frustration and hate in these forums. and i can't help much. i'd love to be able to do more. when it works, it's awesome. i'd love to be able to share that with all of you.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

3phase wrote:never argue with retards.. first the bring you down on theiere level and than they beat you with experiance
i love arguing with retards. if, by the end, i can somehow help them. it was worth all the hazzle. (and yes, i know the irony of this post, as you look at me as the retard... :))

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:10 pm

I think Doctor Doctor will be delighted with all the bumpage his thread has received.
Or maybe he'll be quite let down by the content ?

Who knows!

I'm late for hip-hop school!

c ya!

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:12 pm

dum wrote:I think Doctor Doctor will be delighted with all the bumpage his thread has received.
Or maybe he'll be quite let down by the content ?

Who knows!

I'm late for hip-hop school!

c ya!
heh, yeah, sorry for all that. the discussions with 3phase in november got me quite emotional, so i'm quickly offended by statements of him, when ever he attacks what ever.

have fun at hiphop school.

FrankieP

Post by FrankieP » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:25 pm

wow... 8O

Sorry Doctor Doctor, seems like your thread veered way past its original intent.

Just want to add though, i'm currently taking Point Blank Online's Deep & Soulful House course and I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. At first, I thought the courses they offered are indeed quite expensive, but soon I realized the 1-2-1 feedback from a very knowledgeable tutor was well worth the fee alone. It's not all "download the video and follow along" based tutorials, you also get exclusive project files for you to dive in deep and analyze the project/tracks structure, arrangement, sound design and mixing. You first discuss the history of the genre, the major players, analyzing their style, creating drum kits, patches, structure and mixing. Each lesson has an assignment that you need to submit by the end of the week for the tutor to analyze and give feedback. He then sends you a personalized video of your track and the project files with the ammends he had made, so you can see the changes and suggestions he had done on your project. You then can decide for yourself whether you like the changes and build from there. Pretty unique in my opinion. You also get access to all the projects and personalized feedback from each student taking the course. So if you got 10-15 students taking the course, that's a whole lot of tips, files and videos to partake. That in itself is well worth the fee imho.

Anyway, Some of you may consider Doctor Doctor's thread as spam. But c'mon, who doesn't "spam" nowadays. Just another form of advertising. And in this case I could very much vouch for what is being advertised and I give them my full support.