Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by timothyallan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 am

10-15 students at 600 bucks a pop is some pretty decent cash too. Maybe I'll do that for my next tutorial series!

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:55 am

davepermen wrote: bugs always happen. in any software. his REACTION then was utterly wrong. his flamewar against the product, too.
davepermen wrote: i only started harassing him as he harassed ableton in more than one thread about how bad they are and not doing their work.
davepermen wrote: no, i just wasn't in before. and the way he formulated it is not nice, nor polite, nor anything.
davepermen wrote: his behaviour is WRONG, IGNORANT, AND STUPID.
davepermen wrote: instead, he started bitching.


Dave. Honestly. I could keep going with these quotes, but your attitude and behaviour is bordering on obsession. You don't like 3phase. We get that.

At this point you've made this totally personal and have appointed yourself the Defender Of The Ableton Realm against The Heathen 3phase. :lol:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

LoopStationZebra
Posts: 10586
Joined: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:57 pm
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:03 am

Travis 'davepermen' Bickle wrote:the discussions with 3phase in november got me quite crazed right out of my fucking mind. so i'm quickly offended by statements of him, when ever he attacks what ever.

Listen, you fuckers, you screwheads. Here is a man who would not take it anymore. A man who stood up against the scum, the cunts, the dogs, the filth, the shit. Here is a man who stood up.
Image

:P
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

FrankieP
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat May 30, 2009 4:56 am

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by FrankieP » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:07 am

timothyallan wrote:10-15 students at 600 bucks a pop is some pretty decent cash too. Maybe I'll do that for my next tutorial series!
Hey Tim, i'll sign for it! Anybody that uses his voice to program basslines is good in my book! :)

timothyallan
Posts: 5788
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 11:05 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by timothyallan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:11 am

lol you saw that hey? :D

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:42 am

timothyallan wrote:10-15 students at 600 bucks a pop is some pretty decent cash too. Maybe I'll do that for my next tutorial series!
indeed. instead of complaining, one should put the chance to own gain, right? :)

problem is, if you'd do it, i would get tempted actually..
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

davepermen
Posts: 2198
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:38 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by davepermen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:45 am

LoopStationZebra wrote:Dave. Honestly. I could keep going with these quotes, but your attitude and behaviour is bordering on obsession. You don't like 3phase. We get that.

At this point you've made this totally personal and have appointed yourself the Defender Of The Ableton Realm against The Heathen 3phase. :lol:
i have no problem with 3phase. just with his behavior, as it doesn't help him, and hurts others. and i try to fix that :) but yeah, i'm quite obsessed about fighting unfair behavior, and use the same weapons to fight those guys: unfairly attack them all the time :)

i'm actually curious if his midibug is still existing (as he always said there is just one bug existing and live should fix it. they fixed a midi bug that i reported. so by his understanding, his bug should have been gone by now, too :))
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Doctor Doctor
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by Doctor Doctor » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:01 am

FrankieP wrote:wow... 8O

Sorry Doctor Doctor, seems like your thread veered way past its original intent.

Just want to add though, i'm currently taking Point Blank Online's Deep & Soulful House course and I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. At first, I thought the courses they offered are indeed quite expensive, but soon I realized the 1-2-1 feedback from a very knowledgeable tutor was well worth the fee alone. It's not all "download the video and follow along" based tutorials, you also get exclusive project files for you to dive in deep and analyze the project/tracks structure, arrangement, sound design and mixing. You first discuss the history of the genre, the major players, analyzing their style, creating drum kits, patches, structure and mixing. Each lesson has an assignment that you need to submit by the end of the week for the tutor to analyze and give feedback. He then sends you a personalized video of your track and the project files with the ammends he had made, so you can see the changes and suggestions he had done on your project. You then can decide for yourself whether you like the changes and build from there. Pretty unique in my opinion. You also get access to all the projects and personalized feedback from each student taking the course. So if you got 10-15 students taking the course, that's a whole lot of tips, files and videos to partake. That in itself is well worth the fee imho.

Anyway, Some of you may consider Doctor Doctor's thread as spam. But c'mon, who doesn't "spam" nowadays. Just another form of advertising. And in this case I could very much vouch for what is being advertised and I give them my full support.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed doing a course with us Frankie, and its great to have someone else vouching for the fact that we offer a unique aspect of teaching music production, through the 1-2-1 personalised video feedback on your projects. Also Frankie is right in that we do not wish to be 'spamming' the forum with useless information or services, but we feel that our courses may be of genuine interest to some users of the Ableton forum.

Although much of the discussion in this thread has veered off the topic and into a bit of an argument, the comments which are on topic appear to centre around the price we charge for the course. As Frankie has said the 1-2-1 personalised feedback which students recieve is the reason for a higher price than some of the other options available out there, the fact is that your recieving the time and attention of a professional producer to go over your tracks and i'm really glad to hear that Frankie found this an invaluable part of the experience.

It also seemed that people weren't to keen on the video which I posted as an excerpt from the course, so I though that maybe this one might be better. Although being a bit older the vid isn't as high-quality, the content is pretty interesting and I hope may go some way more to demonstrating the depth of the course on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/pointblankonline ... Q2h-hfTYeo

The discussion has been a very interesting read and although not all on topic, what has been has provided us with a futher insight into your reactions to what we do. Please keep the comments/feedback coming and I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.

Thanks Again,

Luke (Point Blank)

moonboy
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:31 am

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by moonboy » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:21 pm

Doctor Doctor wrote:
FrankieP wrote:wow... 8O

Sorry Doctor Doctor, seems like your thread veered way past its original intent.

Just want to add though, i'm currently taking Point Blank Online's Deep & Soulful House course and I have to say it exceeded all my expectations. At first, I thought the courses they offered are indeed quite expensive, but soon I realized the 1-2-1 feedback from a very knowledgeable tutor was well worth the fee alone. It's not all "download the video and follow along" based tutorials, you also get exclusive project files for you to dive in deep and analyze the project/tracks structure, arrangement, sound design and mixing. You first discuss the history of the genre, the major players, analyzing their style, creating drum kits, patches, structure and mixing. Each lesson has an assignment that you need to submit by the end of the week for the tutor to analyze and give feedback. He then sends you a personalized video of your track and the project files with the ammends he had made, so you can see the changes and suggestions he had done on your project. You then can decide for yourself whether you like the changes and build from there. Pretty unique in my opinion. You also get access to all the projects and personalized feedback from each student taking the course. So if you got 10-15 students taking the course, that's a whole lot of tips, files and videos to partake. That in itself is well worth the fee imho.

Anyway, Some of you may consider Doctor Doctor's thread as spam. But c'mon, who doesn't "spam" nowadays. Just another form of advertising. And in this case I could very much vouch for what is being advertised and I give them my full support.
Glad to hear that you enjoyed doing a course with us Frankie, and its great to have someone else vouching for the fact that we offer a unique aspect of teaching music production, through the 1-2-1 personalised video feedback on your projects. Also Frankie is right in that we do not wish to be 'spamming' the forum with useless information or services, but we feel that our courses may be of genuine interest to some users of the Ableton forum.

Although much of the discussion in this thread has veered off the topic and into a bit of an argument, the comments which are on topic appear to centre around the price we charge for the course. As Frankie has said the 1-2-1 personalised feedback which students recieve is the reason for a higher price than some of the other options available out there, the fact is that your recieving the time and attention of a professional producer to go over your tracks and i'm really glad to hear that Frankie found this an invaluable part of the experience.

It also seemed that people weren't to keen on the video which I posted as an excerpt from the course, so I though that maybe this one might be better. Although being a bit older the vid isn't as high-quality, the content is pretty interesting and I hope may go some way more to demonstrating the depth of the course on offer:

http://www.youtube.com/pointblankonline ... Q2h-hfTYeo

The discussion has been a very interesting read and although not all on topic, what has been has provided us with a futher insight into your reactions to what we do. Please keep the comments/feedback coming and I'll try to answer any questions as best I can.

Thanks Again,

Luke (Point Blank)

Hello Doctor Doctor;

I am interested in the tutorial; I produce deep house I do not use Logic; will there be a Tutorial based in Ableton that will focus on Deep house in plan?

Thank you!!

Khazul
Posts: 3185
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Reading, UK

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by Khazul » Fri Feb 04, 2011 7:29 pm

moonboy wrote:Hello Doctor Doctor;

I am interested in the tutorial; I produce deep house I do not use Logic; will there be a Tutorial based in Ableton that will focus on Deep house in plan?

Thank you!!
... and so continues the expensive vain search for that instant elixir that grants knowledge, experience, success, hookers, coke, groupies etc :)

Time - thats where its at - time.
Nothing to see here - move along!

xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:24 pm

fisto wrote:come on people, stop this ableton minimal techno shit. I really can't stand it anymore. Seems like the people are all brainwashed by this f***ing crap music, so they can't hear anything else anymore cause they don't understand a beat when it's not straight and when it has real tones in it not only some BS effects.
Don't you hear that every tune sounds the same? Its just about the kick and a tune like that I can do in 3hours, so where is the piont?
I hope that someone will kill techno soon, cause this is making idiots out of the people and it's already everywhere. In every cafe, at every party, in the telly, the radio.
Arrrrgghhh :twisted:
Sorry mate i think you should NOT give techno the fault for the damn Minimal shit out there! (But! there is some good minimal out there too!)

Techno means freedom in every aspect when you are producing your tracks and not the minimal scheme where everybody are trying to make the same buildups, the same sound as everybody else! thats what i doesnt like by 90 procent of the minimal tracks released nowadays.

To Point Blank and all the other online possers out there! You are doing nothing else than producing online videos with old schemes in your courses. Your videos are often about Build ups and commerz! Companys like yours are only milking the sick minimal cow to earn money on other peoples blindness.

My advise to all new producers! Go your own way! Learn by doing and not by following any stupid Videos with old teqniques, wanna be producers, and believe me! your sound will only sound like all the other "students". If you learn your equipment by doing it yourself your productions will be much more interresting in the end, and you will understand what i am trying to say here, its often a longer learning procedure but it will also bring you further in the long end.

Do it Yourself! And make something special and new! That's what Techno have been all about since 1986 where i started to listen and produce Techno!

Minimal will dissapear! Techno will come back even better, and with a lot more creativity in the next years....... :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

xzusa8ky
Posts: 1064
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2004 6:48 pm
Location: Vienna

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by xzusa8ky » Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:13 am

3phase wrote:but i admit.. regarding the amount of bugs and problems i run into in 2009 i filled relativly little reports and only sended any 5th or 8th crashlog.. i actually could have done 2-3 reports any single day i worked with L8...and spend any day with making the bugs reproducable...

but is that realy what i should have done? in an enviroment where the easiest to come along bug is passing the public betatesting unrealized? where nobody cares about event timing or timecode or erased parts in loop recordings or crashes when using midi?
where new bugs come with any bug cured?

with this many bugs and so many crashreports it´s probably information overload for ableton allready... probably for quite some time ..so they only go for the confirmed and in a reproducable form delivered bug... and this way they ended with the most buggy software on the market.. what is especially for a stage software a disaster

Hmmmmm....Funny! You was always laughing and wrote tons of post because other users here on the board have been complaining about all thoose damn crashes we have to accept if we buy Live, funny how things can change Phase! But welcome in the club too you! I hope you will start to understand why we are NOT satified with lives stability and have learned your lesson.............

Kind Regards! :P
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

muthafunka
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:28 pm
Location: Tokyo

Post by muthafunka » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:38 am

oops
Last edited by muthafunka on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

muthafunka
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 5:28 pm
Location: Tokyo

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by muthafunka » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:40 am

This just seemed appropriate somehow...

Everythings Amazing & Nobodys Happy

simonlb
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 9:48 pm

Re: Producing Minimal Techno with Ableton Live

Post by simonlb » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:03 am

xzusa8ky wrote:
fisto wrote:To Point Blank and all the other online possers out there! You are doing nothing else than producing online videos with old schemes in your courses. Your videos are often about Build ups and commerz! Companys like yours are only milking the sick minimal cow to earn money on other peoples blindness.

My advise to all new producers! Go your own way! Learn by doing and not by following any stupid Videos with old teqniques, wanna be producers, and believe me! your sound will only sound like all the other "students". If you learn your equipment by doing it yourself your productions will be much more interresting in the end, and you will understand what i am trying to say here, its often a longer learning procedure but it will also bring you further in the long end.
A lot of people just want to produce generic music though, why stop them ;) just look at the posts here or any similar forum asking how to sound like X artist.

I tend to find production videos fairly useful as a starting point, a take-off point where I can use the techniques to develop my own ideas, and so on. I disagree with the idea of "tutorials make you sound like other producers" just as much as statements like "having a guitar teacher makes you sound like someone else" when in reality it's what the student makes of it. But I'm sure for every producer like me or like you there's tens or even hundreds who just want to sound like the latest tech-house/minimal/electro/(insert genre here) sensations, and if guys like Point Blank want to amke money off them then why not, it's a capitalist society and all that...

Post Reply