sample magic secrets of house

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evileye

sample magic secrets of house

Post by evileye » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:54 am

Im think of perchasing the sample magic secrets of producing house. But im unsure if i would get anything out of it.
anybody got this? is it just for beginners?

90's child

Re: sample magic secrets of house

Post by 90's child » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:50 pm

I'm sure you'd find a few tit bits but really why, when you can watch professional producers in their studios breaking down their tracks on the Computer/Future music magazine DVD's?

Since I have been watching those DVD's (for over 3 years) I have realised that what most people post on music forums is absolute bullshit. :lol:

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:51 pm

A lot of stuff on the Computer Music DVDs is also bullshit too. Some of those producer masterclasses suck so bad, that you wonder how on Earth these doofuses managed to have any success. Not all - but a pretty significant minority. I especially see over compressing/maximizing, random use of EQ without sweeping the bands, unnecessary layering of 100 kick drum samples and generic choice of sounds/samples/arrangement which has no creativity in it whatsoever and just copies what everyone else has been doing the past 18 months.

Then again, some of these are really worth watching and informative. It's just like everything else, everything in music is saturated to shit, that finding good music and good advice is sometimes like fishing through your poop to find a chunk of corn when you ain't eaten any corn for a week.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

evileye

Post by evileye » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:48 pm

leedsquietman wrote:A lot of stuff on the Computer Music DVDs is also bullshit too. Some of those producer masterclasses suck so bad, that you wonder how on Earth these doofuses managed to have any success. Not all - but a pretty significant minority. I especially see over compressing/maximizing, random use of EQ without sweeping the bands, unnecessary layering of 100 kick drum samples and generic choice of sounds/samples/arrangement which has no creativity in it whatsoever and just copies what everyone else has been doing the past 18 months.

Then again, some of these are really worth watching and informative. It's just like everything else, everything in music is saturated to shit, that finding good music and good advice is sometimes like fishing through your poop to find a chunk of corn when you ain't eaten any corn for a week.
I have bought computer music and future music for five years to be honest only a few masterclass are any good. I keep trying not to buy them but curiosity gets the better of me
the magazine has started repeating it self. So maybe i should just watch them on youtube
thanks for your opinion

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:54 pm

Ooi what would you say were good ones? The only ones I hav seen that I thought were ok were DnB ones and I make fours. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:21 pm

leedsquietman wrote:A lot of stuff on the Computer Music DVDs is also bullshit too. Some of those producer masterclasses suck so bad, that you wonder how on Earth these doofuses managed to have any success. Not all - but a pretty significant minority. I especially see over compressing/maximizing, random use of EQ without sweeping the bands, unnecessary layering of 100 kick drum samples and generic choice of sounds/samples/arrangement which has no creativity in it whatsoever and just copies what everyone else has been doing the past 18 months.

:lol: yo!
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 pm

seems like it would just be a bunch of cliche samples.

learn your history then follow in their footsteps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EznncXgJqyU <-- history of house, great documentary. it's been posted here many times before but not for a while.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:03 pm

i mean this can be heavy discussed, but our days with the crazy amount of free samples and manipulation possibilities any audio program comes with by default i don't really understand how people can buy, spend money on, sample packs, or banks, or ~ CDs, [not talking torrents, legal free stuff] i think all it really does is helping being lazy making the effort spending half a day or a day downloading hundreds of sounds, pretty much anything you wish for is around and spending another little time tweaking them while you use them and actually learning sound manipulation / production along the way.

my2cents
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:05 pm

we all start out knowing nothing about any of this. over time we learn such truths, hopefully.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:22 pm

Tone Deft wrote:we all start out knowing nothing about any of this. over time we learn such truths, hopefully.
yes of course. i just say i wonder, where the creativity went... in the days of MPCs and such people (utter beginners with zero clue) sampled tapes, videos, radio, etc. and then mangled the shit out of it, today you go and buy boring stuff instant, oh well...
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:25 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:we all start out knowing nothing about any of this. over time we learn such truths, hopefully.
yes of course. i just say i wonder, where the creativity went... in the days of MPCs and such people (utter beginners with zero clue) sampled tapes, videos, radio, etc. and then mangled the shit out of it, today you go and buy boring stuff instant, oh well...
the masses always went out and bought stuff and tried to get rich and famous the quick way.

it's only those that didn't, that we remember. we don't remember the millions of trash bands that existed that where all crap, we don't remember all the be-alikes that existed when "we where young".. not that i'm not anymore :) (26 here). but the "good old times" are always a bit better to look at than they where.

the creative people are always around. but they're always few, compared to all the ones who would like to, but aren't.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:34 pm

i don't think the old days have been better in general, but i disagree that people always bought stuff, one seriously good thing was that it was real difficult to afford stuff, we are so spoiled today with highest quality and possibilities for next to no money, compared to 10 - 15 years back...
that we are less forced to develop ideas, we just go into the audio store supermarket and choose, and yes i do think it is bad and produces way more rubbish, not that rubbish was not always around, but the amount our days raised sky rocket high.

people developed a market for pre made samples to feed laziness, just like fast food serves the laziness of preparing a good and proper meal.

and i am not against sampling, but i just wonder why to spend money, when today a trillion high quality samples are legally available on the net.

it takes a little google effort, that is all.
*** Image GAFM ***

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:37 pm

sure. on the other hand, it allows anyone who HAS creativity to explore it. while only some years ago, it was not affordable for anyone to (legally) do this just out of curiosity. i'm f.e. very happy that so far, music hasn't cost me that much (all legally). i know, would i've been born 10 years more early, the same would have ruined me financially.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:01 am

as for the fascination with samples, IMO people with this hobby fall into one or more layers.
- making instruments, VSTs, synths, violins
- making patches for synths
- general noodling on instruments
- recording loops
- writing songs
- DJing songs or playing in cover bands
- Mastering songs
- putting on events
- posting on forums

IMO many of us fall into regions of that, some are lucky to be able to do a wide range of things well. point being, I can see someone having more of a DJ mentality to take what we hear as loops and make them into something totally different.

it also leads into what is original material? did you make the instruments for your original song that I heard at your event that you're posting about? no? fucking poser.

I don't like using pre-made loops except for breakbeat drums 'cause that's the sound I like.

Dave - at 26 life is just starting. ;)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:09 am

Tone Deft wrote: it also leads into what is original material? did you make the instruments for your original song that I heard at your event that you're posting about? no? fucking poser.
i think that's my first question when ever i meet some big band/artist playing guitar, drums, whatever :)

FUCKING POSER YOU!! you're just playing, having no clue, dude!! :)

actually, i programmed some synth-style stuff. in c++, iehk (for some demoscene style stuff). so i guess i could. but then again, operator is so awesome fitting to me, i have no need for any other/homemade synth (but thought about it while playing with m4l)
Dave - at 26 life is just starting. ;)
yeah. after some early near-endings, i actually feel that way a bit :) never let the child in yourself die..