Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
blueprint
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:19 am
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by blueprint » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:04 am

Title is pretty self explanatory but I have a hunch that they're going to release it sooner than later. Maybe in 4 months?

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:55 am

blueprint wrote:Title is pretty self explanatory but I have a hunch that they're going to release it sooner than later. Maybe in 4 months?
All I can say is, if they do, I hope it doesn't bring as much trouble as 8.

At least I'm running it ALMOST crash free *knock on wood*.

BlackMath
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:16 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by BlackMath » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:12 am

how do you figure 4 months exactly....thats just silly.

alex.the.forge
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:29 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:26 am

I am still having loads of problems with crashing etc... but when it behaves I am finding it SO much more inspiring than v7 - Live is really starting to mature and I'm loving the workflow.... except when the workflow is force quit or restart constantly! ;-)

LOFA
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:02 am

Unless you need M4L buy a used version of 7 and wait another 4 months for a more stable version of 8. If we're lucky.

Live 8 with maxforlive is the most powerful, exciting thing I have every used. Every time I load up a set. Immediately after it crashed. It crashed on me well over a hundred time this week.

I highly encourage you to buy it 7 though. The best thing ever. Other than 8 w/ M4L. For the 0.-x000000.ms it runs before crashing.

Great drinking game though!

Bleep Blop Ima Robot
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 am
Location: OC, CA

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:30 am

demo it of course, see how it runs for you, i dont think 9 will be coming out in 4 months though, so i dont think id wait. People experience problems, some dont, you might be a lucky one and run a flawless version of live...mine does, havnt crashed in saaay....i cant even remember 8O ..... :mrgreen:.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:38 am

Bleep Blop Ima Robot wrote:demo it of course, see how it runs for you, i dont think 9 will be coming out in 4 months though, so i dont think id wait. People experience problems, some dont, you might be a lucky one and run a flawless version of live...mine does, havnt crashed in saaay....i cant even remember 8O ..... :mrgreen:.
:lol: :lol: You can't remember cause of all them Cali greens!

Bleep Blop Ima Robot
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 am
Location: OC, CA

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:42 am

outershpongolia wrote:
Bleep Blop Ima Robot wrote:demo it of course, see how it runs for you, i dont think 9 will be coming out in 4 months though, so i dont think id wait. People experience problems, some dont, you might be a lucky one and run a flawless version of live...mine does, havnt crashed in saaay....i cant even remember 8O ..... :mrgreen:.
:lol: :lol: You can't remember cause of all them Cali greens!
i know right, damn good groceries...

i dont even remember the past 5 minutes :? :?
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:45 am

Either way you look at it, a solid, stable, release of Live 8 would be like getting a Live 9. :wink:

Don't mean to be bashin', since I've had good experiences with it so far..

HeadrickProductions
Posts: 611
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 pm

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:57 am

I jst have to add my own comments and say that who ever said wait five months and then buy eight is the right idea. What I have learned about ableton, is that if you purchase their software when it first comes out you must be ready to deal with basically a public beta version of the software that you paid for. I learned this with Ableton eight. What I think ableton should do so they do not lose their fans is to start their product off at a cheaper rate in the beginning for the folks who jst want to get our little grubby hands on the newest thing. Then as their product becomes stable (GOD WILLING) the price should increase. They should realize the importance when you got guys who are certified ableton trainer complaining about there products on their own forum(WAKE UP GUYS). This being said I still love the idea that ableton represents, it is jst a shame that I am still reading the same complaints forever about 8 sucking when the bridge is suppose to be coming soon which will cause an entire new set of problems. I am already reading scared posts in the scratch live room about fears of having ableton on board will cause problems because of 8's reputation is the polar opposite of scratch live's rep for being a stable as they come.

Hope this helps cause I wish I would have asked that question when I was thinking about getting 8
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Bleep Blop Ima Robot
Posts: 1180
Joined: Tue May 05, 2009 7:31 am
Location: OC, CA

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:22 am

HeadrickProductions wrote: What I think ableton should do so they do not lose their fans is to start their product off at a cheaper rate in the beginning for the folks who jst want to get our little grubby hands on the newest thing. Then as their product becomes stable (GOD WILLING) the price should increase.
Just don't think it would ever work out, having something sold at a cheaper price then later charging more would most likely upset people, because of updates for the product you bought for a cheaper price, and get updates and now live is stable per say, and then they decide to up the price saying "oh its stable now buy our product" when you could've got it for a cheaper price in the beginning and just waited for updates??? Its like somethings you buy, say video games, sometimes they might be buggy, but they don't release new versions with fixes, and after that sell them for a higher price stating that its stable now pay more...see... wouldn't that piss you off?.

just saying...

i had to many groceries...outer where joo at i need to share some of this shite!!!
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

outershpongolia
Posts: 2230
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:40 am

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:10 am

^ Groceries is frozen as shit over here in Chi

gosinisha
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:24 pm
Location: on the rolling mill

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by gosinisha » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:30 pm

better 8 stable than 9 in development. 8 has no problems, stable working here on vista64 live 809.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

jez3122
Posts: 534
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Lincs,England
Contact:

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by jez3122 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:39 pm

9 wont be out for over a year i'd say....

they wont releases it untill it's rock solid after the shit they got for releasing 8 b4 it was ready
Live 7.0.16, core 2 Quad 2.66ghz 4 gb ram,ESI U46SE,Vestax VCM-600, M-Audio Axiom 25,
evolution249c,Maudio Xpression pro, various guitars,Akai mpd16, NI intact,YamahaMSP3's,zoom323, a Ukulele and a Crate of Stella.

LOFA
Posts: 3364
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:10 pm

Re: Buy 8 now or wait for 9?

Post by LOFA » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:10 pm

I predict there will not be a live 9 until fall 2011/winter 2012. First there are the bugs that need to be sorted out. Then there has to be some sort of period where Live regains a reputation for stability. In parallel, there needs to be time for M4L to come into its own identity within the market so that decisions can be made as to what should be a new feature and what can be better handled within the M4L user-base.

It seems that the number one thing that Ableton needs to take care of now is its core. I wonder if this will be the period of time where they address some of the fundamental changes to their engine that they have discussed. It probably a hard time to be such a small company, but they will get through this.

I envision that 9 will come out and it will be stable. An it will devour everything in its path. But, not for a good while. With all of the new products and attention they have right now they can get by without the upgrade tax.

I think they jumped the gun with the release of M4L and Live 8. I can't blame them though. How do you keep something so awesome, so in demand to yourself? I am positive that they will do their best to avoid such a fiasco in the future.

Post Reply