MIDI Delay

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
solutionsagent

MIDI Delay

Post by solutionsagent » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:54 am

Hello,

I changed the Output Buffer size to 5ms and Input Buffer size does not seem to help. The change to 5ms for the Output buffer size did help the delay with MIDI instruments but not completely. Is it normal for PC based sequencers to have a delay when recording MIDI tracks? It works fine when recording 80BPM tracks but I am afraid that it is more subject to error if I am off just a bit when quantizing or at higher BPMs. Can anyone give me any advice?

I am using a Yamaha S90 as a controller. And the delay can be heard between the local tone generated and the timing of the send once the MIDI note is processed through Ableton then returned out to the Yamaha S90.

Thanks,

SolutionsAgent
SolutionsAgent

solutionsagent

Post by solutionsagent » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:08 pm

Does anyone else experience this delay from when you press a key to when the sound is output?
SolutionsAgent

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:14 pm

I also noticed delay when recording midi track to audio, not much but sometimes I had to correct the wav. Both types are much worse then in Cubase but it maybe due to my interface that is optimised for Cubase (midex) so it works as good as hardware seq, nearly.

solutionsagent

Post by solutionsagent » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:11 pm

Anyone else have a thought on what is causing this or is it normal???
SolutionsAgent

solutionsagent

Post by solutionsagent » Tue Nov 02, 2004 1:13 am

Am I the only one here that writes music on a MIDI controller? :lol:
SolutionsAgent

divonic

Post by divonic » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:58 pm

solutionsagent wrote:Does anyone else experience this delay from when you press a key to when the sound is output?
I get a weird delay in (externally synched) Live when I press play on my external sequencer. Live waits a secord untill it starts and then it rushes for a second before it catches up. then it's fine.