Stylus RMX with Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
old school user

Stylus RMX with Live

Post by old school user » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:16 pm

Brand new product, very exciting, but:

How do you work with the midi files and Live? The Drag and Drop technique doesn't work.

Workaround appears to be Export in the Chaos section. Then dragging the midi file into a clip.

Even with that how do you channelize correctly in Live? RMX is a multi-timbral instrument with 8 parts on Ch 1-8. I've RTFM, but don't see it.

Anyone?

Neil

ijn1

Re: Stylus RMX with Live

Post by ijn1 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 5:35 pm

I just got Stylus RMX and am dissapointed to see that the drag-and-drop doesn't work...

You can, however, leave a project folder open on your desktop then drag-and-drop to that (instead of using export). It creates a MIDI file that automatically shows up in your folders view in Live. You can then drag it to the MIDI track where you have Stylus RMX inserted. Two drag-and-drops instead of one but I can live with it...

I haven't tried multichannel yet.

--Ian

Damonv

Post by Damonv » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:27 pm

Is it worth getting to use with Live? Am thinking about it.

Damon

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:56 pm

Dude this thing is the holy grail for drums. A little high CPU load in live but OMG, I can't beleive what this can do. Eric Persing is by far the best sound designer on the planet. I was up all night learning this beast and it is truly amazing. Check the site for the features but you will absolutely not be disappointed.

www.spectrasonics.net

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:32 am

i'm definitely going to check out the site but could you go in to more detail about why you personally think its so great, im very interested in actual users impressions. what kind of music do you do and what exactly is most attractive to you about rmx?

thanks
-mic
for the love of Live

illsub1

Post by illsub1 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 2:16 am

I know just drag into a temp folder and then drag from live. 2 steps but no big deal at all compared to the old way. The sheer volume of quality material and ability to perform REX files is one reason. Edit groups... all the details and movies are on their site.

Set one MIDI track with no input that will have RMX on it, then add 8 new MIDI tracks (CTRL+SHIFT+T) Set their outputs to the midi track live is on and Set the channels to 1 thru 8 respectively. Maybe make a template so you don't have to do it every time. I do funk, jazz, electronic... The chaos is the absolute! He worked with Bram of Supatrigga fame and improved on his concept. It can chaos only certain parts of the beat like everything but the Downbeats or back beats and randomly rush or drag to make it much more humanistic!! I could go on for days but I gotta dive back in! The lack of manual is fine cause I learned the whole product in a couple hours with the videos. Eric taught me for friggin free!!!!! GET IT YOU WON'T REGRET IT AT ALL THE BEST THING SINCE LIVE ITSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!