Robert Henke, could you please expound upon this?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tw1nstates

Robert Henke, could you please expound upon this?

Post by tw1nstates » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:39 pm

hello,

I was very interested to read a quote from you regarding something I hadn't thought of doing before in Live:

So often I have that impulse telling the world: hey, you can use the sidechain input of the compressor you already have in Live, and you can feed that sidechain with a slightly delayed version of the original signal. You could also apply saturation, filtering, or even reverb or again an instance of the compressor in that side chain signal to shape its timing and response to its input. This will have a result of the compression curve, and this means you can build anything from a very normal compressor up to the most exotic effect you can imagine. And you can store those structures for later re-use. You can automate every single aspect of it. You can use ten or twenty instances of it in a song. Are you guys aware that you have more power right in front of you than the best music producers and hardware designers just ten years ago would have dreamed off?

Could you please post a tutorial on this? This would be an excellent thing to behold.

There haven't been many new Ableton tutorials in a while. it would be good to see something from the Ableton camp. . .

I am sure there are plenty of other folks on the board that would be interested to know how this would work.

Thanks!
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

oddstep

Re: Robert Henke, could you please expound upon this?

Post by oddstep » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:59 pm

yeah a tutorial would be an engaging read - but isn't all the relevant information there in that statement. route the audio from a track to another track- monitor mode in, source prefx... put a delay on it.put other stuff on it. use this channel as the 'key channel' on the side chain input.

I had never thought about side chaining a track to an fxed version of itself before- the automation possibilities are pretty wild.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Does it sound any good though?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:50 pm

sounds like henke gave away a production secret for free. if your a fan of his music, then its probably worth trying this out

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:59 pm

Tom Cosm had a video on sidechaining:

http://vimeo.com/6137380

and to be honest the way he used the 'simple delay' with
-link on
-full wet
-and a tight delay time x1, x2, or 20-90 m/s
... is kinda what you/Henke is describing in the OP.

it was pretty great and so easy. its great when getting duplicate tracks to play off each other a bit more. really great stuff, and thanks Tom

stjohn

Post by stjohn » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:02 pm

did i mention it was great??

great

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 pm

yeah I'm having fun checking out whats possible.... delays on full wet to displace the duplicate signal followed by a long reverb, then a gate are pretty good at generating interesting rhythmic pulses. techno!

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:53 pm

Yeah,

I meant a video tutorial.

I have heard robert say a couple of times that you can do anything with operator and the live stuff that any other synth can, but I don't find it that great sounding in comparison to my Arturia v collection or G Media stuff,

Same with the Live stuff compared to UAd, however i will say that I find the live filter to be pretty good.

So, I was hoping that w might get some practical examples, a video rather than an essay. . .

I wholeheartedly agree that having a million compressors etc can be a distraction, i tend to use about 3, tried the uad channel strips and didn't buy em as i found all of them to not be quite as flexible as the compressor on my URS Channel strip pro.

Anyway, RObery clearly knows what he's talking about so it would be good to see some real life examples. not necessarily of compressor emulation, rather if you want to achiive this do this, type stuff.

FYi I know how to set up a compressor and sidechaining etc it was more to get his take on how you could use that creatively. . .
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave