Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:18 pm

First of all, Hi everybody; I know that probably some similar topic has already discussed in the past, BUT i'm really in a trouble :
I need an audio interface that can also be used as a mixer in live performances. I mean an audio interface with DSP FXS, Eq, Compression, that can be inserted in its channel et ... Now i'm using a MOTU 828 mk3 connected to a MacBook Pro Intel COre 2 Duo running Ableton Live 8.1.1; minimoog Voyager and some old analog syntesizers connected to the MOTU and directly played by me and finally the mic of my lead singer that is also connected to MOTU's mic channel. I Obviously use MOTU's REV, COmpr and EQ for the voice and all my synths ... The same audio interface is used for studio production with a last generation iMac.
I'd like to improve the quality of my studio productions ("ultimate stuff", ready for mastering and not just some good "demoes") and i'd like to but a "top-class" audio interface that has "live mixer's" features similar to those of MOTU 828 mk3 : (fxs, comp, eq, etc etc ...) but with very professional pre-amps and converters ...
I read a lot of posts in forums about this subject and asked many opinions, but now i'm getting very confused
Thes are the suggestions that i already collected :

- "Buy A Metric Halo interface ...(ULN-2 with a focusrite octopre connected by ADAT I/O in order to add channels to the interface" (this is my favourite option: ULN-8 would be better but it is too expensive for me; ).

- "keep Your MOTU 828 mk3 that IS actually a top-class interface; just buy a good pre-amp for the mic/voic, becaus motu's pre-amp aren't very good" (if this is true, i'l bee HAPPY to save money (?) )

- "Buy a Presonus StudioLive 16.4.2 and You'll feel very satisfied in every kind of situation (studio productions, live performances, etc etc ...)"

- "Buy an Apogee Ensemble" (Ok, but what about live mixer's functions and fxs ...?)

Could someone give me his opinion about it ?
Thank You very much in advance
Best Regards
M.
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

logic_user99
Posts: 1965
Joined: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:58 pm
Location: Nottingham, UK

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by logic_user99 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:34 pm

Why don't you buy a FW-enabled mixer?
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 pm

logic_user99 wrote:Why don't you buy a FW-enabled mixer?
Thank You for the answer :-) ! Do You mean something like Presonus StudioLive (that is an audio interface and a digital mixer at the same time, indeed) ... ? Well, it's one of the options i'm considering ...I Just would like to be sure that i'll have a big quality improvement (pre-amp, conversion...) if i'll go to this direction ! It seems ha good solution, anyway ...
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:46 pm

well, sonically the metric halo or ensemble is the best choice, i personally are a huge fan of metric halo.
*** Image GAFM ***

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 pm

The 2408 mk3 is a very good interface. I'm not really clear on why you're so quick to get rid of it. The convertor / pre-amp argument is valid with respect to RME, Apogee etc. But you're stuff isn't gonna sound drastically better than the 2408.


If your biggest concern is improving quality of your productions. Look at your monitors, your room, as well as your DA conversion from your computer to your monitors.

Just my .02

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:56 pm

EHR ... Actually, as i wrote, my interface is a 828 mk3, not a 2408 ... :wink: ... !
ChiDJ wrote:The 2408 mk3 is a very good interface. I'm not really clear on why you're so quick to get rid of it. The convertor / pre-amp argument is valid with respect to RME, Apogee etc. But you're stuff isn't gonna sound drastically better than the 2408.


If your biggest concern is improving quality of your productions. Look at your monitors, your room, as well as your DA conversion from your computer to your monitors.

Just my .02

Tod
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:30 pm

SubFunk wrote:well, sonically the metric halo or ensemble is the best choice, i personally are a huge fan of metric halo.
I always read very nice comments about metric halo ... :-) Excellent pre-amps (NOT the "old" 2882 !) and converters, reliable, fantastic Sw console ... What a shame i'll have to connect something like an octopre to the ULN-2, in order to get more inputs for my synths (this is essential for live performances, of course!) i don't want to be misunderstood : OCTOPRE is good gear, of course, but its level is lower than Metric Halo's ... AnyWay, i would use MH mic inputs for the voice, of course, and octopre's inputs only for the keyboards !
B.T.W. ... : I REALLY LIKE YOUR TOWN :wink: !!! WHY do You call it "toilet" ... ? (Well, it's Your business, of course ! :wink: )
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

SubFunk
Posts: 7853
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:41 pm
Location: A Big Toilet Called Berlin
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:38 pm

because it is a giant toilet. :?
*** Image GAFM ***

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:26 pm

MAGNETO_66 wrote:EHR ... Actually, as i wrote, my interface is a 828 mk3, not a 2408 ... :wink: ... !

My bad! :oops:

I'm actually using a MOTU Traveler which is quite a few years older than your 828 and I record vox and several outboards through it. But, again I chose to upgrade my signal chain with an Apogee Big Ben Clock and Apogee Mini DAC.
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:44 pm

No problem :wink: You'r very nice & gentle, like all the other people who readily answered to my post! Actually, i have NO REASON to say that i feel disappointed by the 828 mk3 ... I'm just having trouble in using it with sample rates higher than 48 KHz ... i get a lot of pops and noises but of course i have to try different settings of Live's preferences ... But the main reason why i'm thinkink about upgrading it is the fact that i'm starting to produce some "serious" (i HOPE!) stuff with an independent label ... so time for "simple demos" has gone !!! I'm looking for the best quality i can get with my budget ... and i was told that Motu's preamps can't be good enough for having professional audio stuff (i mean, ready for mastering...) B.T.W., i also bought "Harrison mixbus" SW and i think i'll use it in conjunction with Live (8.1.1) ... Does anyone of You know that SW ? Do You think i can also use it on stage, directly adding fxs to my synths without suffering any latency ? In this case, i could even get to Apogee Ensemble, since the Mixbus would provide the fxs i need on stage (???)
ChiDJ wrote:
MAGNETO_66 wrote:EHR ... Actually, as i wrote, my interface is a 828 mk3, not a 2408 ... :wink: ... !

My bad! :oops:

I'm actually using a MOTU Traveler which is quite a few years older than your 828 and I record vox and several outboards through it. But, again I chose to upgrade my signal chain with an Apogee Big Ben Clock and Apogee Mini DAC.
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

ChiDJ
Posts: 2241
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:59 pm
Location: CHick-A-Go!
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by ChiDJ » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:14 pm

I really think you need to gather more info before you spend this kind of money on things that may or may not improve your sound. I am skeptical about the people who are giving you advice.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the "harrison mix buss" is a summing box right?

There's a lot of debate about ITB verse OTB. I think It's been argued well both ways. Conclusion: you can get a great mix in or out of the box. It depends on your skills more than your gear.

Whoever is telling you you can't get a "pro" sounding record with MOTU pre's is completely wrong. Many, many, many hit records: Billboard top records are recorded with MOTU pre's. I know this as a fact because some of them are mine and many of my colleagues.

Don't rush in and buy the latest and greatest stuff thinking it's gonna make your tracks better.

It's the ear NOT the gear!

Peace!

Tod\
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

Image

vicz
Posts: 663
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 3:41 pm
Location: UK

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by vicz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:34 pm


Moody
Posts: 2115
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:47 pm

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by Moody » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:03 pm

Edirol M-16dx (very over-looked interface)
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

MAGNETO_66
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am
Location: Rome, Italy
Contact:

Re: Please, i really need some good advice ... :-)

Post by MAGNETO_66 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:33 am

Once again, Thank You ... Of Course, i also think that SKILL is the first and the main "prerequisite", in order to achieve prof quality. It comes before gears & equipment...! I've always been a musician(i'm trying, at least... :lol:), fallen in love with electronic sounds and programming...I'm just starting to learn the secrets of studio production; i will work with a very skilled sound engineer until i'll be able to do it by myself ... it won't be easy ! AnyWay, the most crucial point is always Voice recording...i'm not worried about recording the sound of my beloved analog synths :-) ... So if You say that i can get good quality with my MOTU, i'm very happy !!! So i'll save a lot of money, and God Knows how i need it...i also have to buy good stuff for live performances (wireless mic and in-ear monitoring systems for me and the other members of the electro-band !!!) ... Your words are very encouraging :) (
ChiDJ wrote: Whoever is telling you you can't get a "pro" sounding record with MOTU pre's is completely wrong. Many, many, many hit records: Billboard top records are recorded with MOTU pre's. I know this as a fact because some of them are mine and many of my colleagues.

Don't rush in and buy the latest and greatest stuff thinking it's gonna make your tracks better.

It's the ear NOT the gear!

Peace!
Tod\
I AM MAGNETO ... MASTER of MAGNETISM :-)!

Post Reply