8 updates snails pace…or just tired of bugs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

8 updates snails pace…or just tired of bugs?

Post by beats me » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:22 pm

In past versions of Live I would just download the updates when available but didn't really notice the pace of the updates because I really didn't have any issues.

This time around I'm noticing the update pacing more because after working with the latest version for a bit and it keeps crashing I just stop using 8 until the next update and go back to using 7.

So are the updates at a pretty consistent pace to previous years or are they moving a lot slower this time around?

I guess the other thing that might be throwing me off is all the beta revs. I don't really know what the logic is behind that. FFS release 8.1.2 already and start working on the next round of bugs because you know it's not going to be done at that rev no matter how many betas they go through. It's giving the impression that very little progress is being made…and apparently none of this is including the mother of all bug fixes, whatever that is going to mean.

siliconarc

Re: 8 updates snails pace…or just tired of bugs?

Post by siliconarc » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:02 pm

8.1.2 has been in beta for 2 months. that has to be a record.

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 pm

Max for Live!
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:26 pm

There's good reason why they are betas though. They often release a beta these days that becomes even less stable for some people than the previous beta. In this case, it should not be a full release. I think it's right that they keep them in the beta phase until they are at least as stable as the previous release, instead of one step forward and two steps back.It seems tricky for them these days to release a version that doesn't become better for some but worse for others.
Professional Shark Jumper.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:53 pm

I am thinking that they are taking very seriously the credibility of their program, given the crashes that some people have had.
Much better to release a more definitive upgrade. M4L only makes that a much harder task.

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:01 am

Novation is announcing 8.1.3 in march in their newsletter ?