new version of midiStroke / now open source

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bigbadotis

new version of midiStroke / now open source

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:17 am

If you don't know what it is, midiStroke is a free small program for OS X that lets you trigger keystroke macros via MIDI. It's a very simple way to, for example, delete clips in Live by pressing a foot pedal. It also accepts program change messages, so if you have a foot pedal that only transmits program change messages you can use midiStroke to translate them into messages that can be used in Live for remote control.

I've had a lot of requests for midiStroke to remember the MIDI source used between sessions; I got around to implementing this today. I also cleaned up the code a little and fixed a bug or two. You can download the app here:

http://www.charlie-roberts.com/midiStroke

I've also released the source under the MIT License on github:

http://github.com/bigbadotis/midiStroke/

I'll probably add some comments and clean up the code a little bit more in the next couple of days. - Charlie

chapelier fou

Re: new version of midiStroke / now open source

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:53 am

Nice !

By the way I have been doing these kind of things with the max [aka.keyboard] object. Do you know this ? I have been unable to find the "numbers" (or the effect of them on other keys' numbers) of the fn, shift, and cmd.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Hi Charlie,

JUST started using midiStroke this last week.

Thanks so much for the freeware!

Simple question but solution evading me... I've programmed two keys on my controller to move up and down the preset browser but they also trigger the midi note (and resulting tone) of what ever I've got loaded into the channel I'm using.

How would I prevent this?

Thanks again,

R.
A 'live' musician struggling with technology...

10.5.8, Pro Tools 8.0, Logic 9.0.2, Reason 3.05, Live 8.0.9.

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:04 pm

Cheers my man, midiStroke is a lifesaver..
Wasn't a big deal selecting the midi src every time but now we can just launch it and not have to worry..

You're hard work is much appreciated.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:11 pm

this looks good.. :D
i´ll try it.. thanks for programming and sharing a usefull tool
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:48 pm

ho are the comlumns for shift, alt, ctrl are supposed to work? cant get them to accept input

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:57 pm

Thanks everyone for the kind words.
chapelier fou wrote:Nice !

By the way I have been doing these kind of things with the max [aka.keyboard] object. Do you know this ? I have been unable to find the "numbers" (or the effect of them on other keys' numbers) of the fn, shift, and cmd.
I haven't used Max in a while (although I'm thinking about getting back into it with M4L). Have you tried using the key object to see what the numbers are that go into Max when you press a combination? Maybe they're identical to what you need to feed aka.keyboard.
oldbetseysatan wrote:Simple question but solution evading me... I've programmed two keys on my controller to move up and down the preset browser but they also trigger the midi note (and resulting tone) of what ever I've got loaded into the channel I'm using.
I'm guessing you have to make sure your MIDI controller is not also set to "track" inside the MIDI preferences of Live.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:58 pm

3phase wrote:ho are the comlumns for shift, alt, ctrl are supposed to work? cant get them to accept input
You already created a MIDI trigger (left hand table)? They work for me... what OS are you on?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm

apple 10.62.

ah.. i ve it now.. you need to input mutiple triggers.. the last in the list turns the input fileds for cntr/shift/etc.. invisible.. they get visible again when you select a previos entred trigger..

therfore with only one trigger you dont see the input fields

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:48 pm

Ok, I think i get the problem. You just need to make a keystroke output using the "+" button in the upper right hand corner. You can have multiple outputs per MIDI trigger. When you first launch the program it creates a sample MIDI trigger and populates it with a keystroke for you. When you make additional triggers you have to create the keystroke outputs manually.

Again, there can be multiple outputs... for example, one MIDI note could trigger a Select All > Copy > Paste > Paste > Paste sequence if you wanted it to by pressing the output plus button a bunch of times and setting it up accordingly.

Hope this helps. - Charlie

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Charlie!

Old Betsey Satan - The Flower Shop 8 Track. "She fought long and she fought hard..."

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:57 pm

I'm using midistroke since 1 year now,

thanks again for this great little brilliant freebie Charlie!!!

cheers

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:37 pm

Wow, major props for the new version and making it open source to boot! I've been using QuicKeys (works with OSX and Windows) for translating midi to keystrokes but now I can also recommend midiStroke as a free alternative for fellow mac users. While the previous version not remembering the input source was not a big deal, it still was a hassle. Thanks for this.

oldbetseysatan

Post by oldbetseysatan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:29 am

OK so I've gotten my controllers CC's successfully mapped to UP/DOWN/ENTER in the Browser. Very simple of course.

But now I'm trying something SLIGHTLY more complicated and I can't seem to get it to work...

I want to open the Browser and need to program CMD + ALT + B but it just keeps crashing midiStroke.

Can someone tell em what I'm doing wrong?

Cheers fellas,

R.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:22 am

You want all that stuff on one line, like so:

The separate lines are for if you have more than one keystroke you want to output for a single MIDI trigger. For example, if you wanted to open your browser and then create a new tab, that could all be assigned to a single trigger by having two rows in the right hand table: one that opens the browser (like the image) and the next row that creates a tab with cmd+t.

Hope this helps. - Charlie