Hey Tone Def - Launchpad Mapping

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
STRATEGY_510

Hey Tone Def - Launchpad Mapping

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:59 am

Hi,

Did you say somewhere that the bottom row of clips on the LP can be mapped to stop clip buttons for each track? I searched but only saw someone saying you said that (which is a bit different than seeing you say it to someone). Anyway, if so, can it be mapped as such across several banks? And with that, do you lose any functionality other than the 8th row of clip-launching?

Thanks,
STRATEGY

outershpongolia

Re: Hey Tone Def - Launchpad Mapping

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:09 am

STRATEGY_510 wrote:Hi,

Did you say somewhere that the bottom row of clips on the LP can be mapped to stop clip buttons for each track? I searched but only saw someone saying you said that (which is a bit different than seeing you say it to someone). Anyway, if so, can it be mapped as such across several banks? And with that, do you lose any functionality other than the 8th row of clip-launching?

Thanks,
STRATEGY
bottom row of the session view page? couldn't you just use a blank row of clips with stop buttons?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:16 am

outershpongolia wrote:

Thanks,
STRATEGY
bottom row of the session view page? couldn't you just use a blank row of clips with stop buttons?

and how you know that this are empty clips? jumping in 8 blocks is nice..but double keystrokes are on stage secondary operations...

besides ..wouldn it be really so difficult to spend 2 lines of code that just mange to realize when track related functions are assigned and just dynamical shifts them than?
things like mute solo or even global controls on deviced like on/off of firs/second and so on device?

5 lines of code? 10 lines of code?

I wonder if ableton is aware what they do to theire reputation with politics like that...

beside the crash szenario.. which makes people angry...

JUst an example..last week.. i had a discussion..with another old school berlin techno producer...

I said... the abletons are villans.. they act overly stupid on the controler implementation to force the users to buy mfl...

He said.. no no..they are just a bit trottelig..

how can i translate trottelig?

something like genial engineer that is so into his thing that he appears a bit retard to the outside world..

is there an english word for that?

So villans or ******?
not a nice image for a company that had the image of being the smart asses not so long ago..

So what is the truth here?
Option A or B, or maybe a bit of booth?

Or nothing and its just normal for a middle class company from a certain szise with a product that is not ment to be high end anyway?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:43 am

i am with you on the focus on max as a solution for problems that could be fixed by the sharing of the py scripts- which they won't do. Its a lost opportunity, regardless of the cause. The integration of controllers with live is a mess, with user edited text files, unsupported cracks of the axiom pyc and a lite version of max all sort of doing the same thing.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:30 am

oddstep wrote:i am with you on the focus on max as a solution for problems that could be fixed by the sharing of the py scripts- which they won't do. Its a lost opportunity, regardless of the cause. The integration of controllers with live is a mess, with user edited text files, unsupported cracks of the axiom pyc and a lite version of max all sort of doing the same thing.

i wouldnt call it a mess.. its just remarkable how bad abletons own controlers are implemeted/supported in relation to industrie standards like mackies and others ..
there is really a certain brute style to the implememtaion that somehow suck in the studio and on stage. and is actually a pitty to see the nice hardware devices somehow beeing crypled this way..

I don´t know if you really can replace the missing things with mfl..
can you directly insert your mods to the exsisting controler template than?
or do you have to rewrite the whole cliplaunch logic yourself and build up on that than?

anyway.. booth cases are actually a stay away case for max for live..
i dont like to be forced to buy something with cheap tricks like that...

what is worse? a dumb implematation or somebody that acts dumb to sell you something?

And all this prohebition tactics.. do you know that the ableton controler templates are only accesible when the controler is physicak connected?

to avoid some other companys to do theier own ableton controlers?

thats surly a risk with such half implemeted products..the competition easily could steal biz from ableton and partners with just a few adjustments to software and layout...

Actually i am really more into the villan theorie...

A worked out business plan like a chess game..

first a bit limited controlers and rough software implemantation.. this boosts sells of mfl..
the long awaited and wished dedicated controlers sell big time anyway..

than the new genertaion of controlers comes... better layout..optimized to user wishes...

still dont using the full potential.. but slightly better implemetation and some hidden abilitys will give max for live extra wight...

3rd circle...
4rd circle..

a win win win situation for the assicited companys.. not so nice for the user cows.. but ..at least theire boring live has more excitement this way...
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:41 pm

3phase wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:

Thanks,
STRATEGY

and how you know that this are empty clips? jumping in 8 blocks is nice..but double keystrokes are on stage secondary operations...
I'm obviously missing something.. You put an empty scene every 8 or so scenes and you'll have stop buttons in your session view page.. you'll know they're empy clips cause they don't have LED's.. Is that not what you wanted?

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:56 pm

3phase, you're being an ass. the LP is made by Novation, its implementation is rather brilliant. your hatred of Ableton makes you post stupid shit. have you ever used a LP? I've put in many many hours on mine, it's great.

STRATEGY_510 - nope, never posted that.

yes, when you midi assign something of course you loose the default functionality, it'd be chaotic if you didn't. what do you mean by banks? the LP doesn't have banks. you mean session vs user1 vs user2 modes? those modes are independent of each other.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:18 pm

to stops clips you can use either empty slots in session mode or the stop buttons in the mixer mode. By default, without assigning or programming anthing. This is quite functional.

You could also set your clips into toggle mode for launching, then you can use each button to start and stop its clip.

lot's of possibilities ....

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:57 pm

outershpongolia wrote:

Thanks,
STRATEGY

Thanks for this! The answer was right in front of me ;)

STRATEGY

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:24 pm

STRATEGY_510 wrote:
outershpongolia wrote:

Thanks,
STRATEGY

Thanks for this! The answer was right in front of me ;)

STRATEGY
Didn't think 3phase was gonna write an essay on the matter 8O :roll:

I do this anyways to separate my tracks.. so it's already integrated into my session view setup..

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:58 pm

3phase wrote:

besides ..wouldn it be really so difficult to spend 2 lines of code that just mange to realize when track related functions are assigned and just dynamical shifts them than?
things like mute solo or even global controls on deviced like on/off of firs/second and so on device?

5 lines of code? 10 lines of code?

I wonder if ableton is aware what they do to theire reputation with politics like that...

beside the crash szenario.. which makes people angry...

JUst an example..last week.. i had a discussion..with another old school berlin techno producer...

I said... the abletons are villans.. they act overly stupid on the controler implementation to force the users to buy mfl...

He said.. no no..they are just a bit trottelig..

how can i translate trottelig?

something like genial engineer that is so into his thing that he appears a bit retard to the outside world..

is there an english word for that?

So villans or ******?
not a nice image for a company that had the image of being the smart asses not so long ago..

So what is the truth here?
Option A or B, or maybe a bit of booth?

Or nothing and its just normal for a middle class company from a certain szise with a product that is not ment to be high end anyway?

All I can say is that I'm glad that there is someone else who is as pissed off at the company like I am. As far as your question about option A or B I'd have to say a bit of both.

As far as the way they behave as a company they have to be just simply greedy people who are losing so much money because of the illegal software market and there UNSTABLE product, so they have to prostitute themleves out to any company they can to make money. I think the apc 40 is pretty solid but that is jsut my opinion. We have seen them put out a relatively stable product before but not we see that they do not care at all about people (If I'm wrong WHERE IS THE PROOF).

I am sure the rane folks are worried just like we are because I have not seen anyone in the beta forum say that the newest beta is so UNSTABLE. That is just simply NOT ACCEPTABLE

And the fact that the words ableton 9 have even been spoken is SAD. Why not fix what we have

THis is the type of things that KILLS companies and if they don't see that then go get a simple B.S. in management and get back to US.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

dmcm

Post by dmcm » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:11 pm

HeadrickProductions wrote:
We have seen them put out a relatively stable product before but not we see that they do not care at all about people (If I'm wrong WHERE IS THE PROOF).
Proof:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132761

The fact that we've been waiting for a while on a new version is a good thing.

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:36 am

On the session page, you can make use of the column of 8 round buttons on the right. A little awkward being vertical, but it's not to hard to get use to them. I am using them for TRACK ARM for 8 tracks. Same page as my session clip grid. No paging around and paging back. You could label them "1-8" or whatever for additonal visual cues.

I really like the LP. But paging never works for my hand/eye coordination when under pressure in the heat of creative throes. I need everything available right there.
Life is Good

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:32 am

dmcm wrote:
HeadrickProductions wrote:
We have seen them put out a relatively stable product before but not we see that they do not care at all about people (If I'm wrong WHERE IS THE PROOF).
Proof:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=132761

The fact that we've been waiting for a while on a new version is a good thing.
Notice that they knew about this for almost a year and said nothing until after the Xmas rush.....Then start putting up all the positive reviews from the mags that all there buddies work at

For a year of crashes we get a paragraph with no specifics and I've been told that the new beta's are VEry unstable...just check the threads

The folks who are mad are the ones who bought in the beginning when 8 came out!!!

It's not just a OS thing cause it seems more MAc folks are having problems....
It's not just a VST/AU thing
It's a software program that suffered the same fate as Iccarus...Flew to high on horribly Unstable wings

Check my quality thread to see how I feel about the PROOF

Also have you ever stood on stage when the program CRASHES....SILENCE IS DEADLY.....happened three times so far
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:42 am

nowtime wrote:On the session page, you can make use of the column of 8 round buttons on the right. A little awkward being vertical, but it's not to hard to get use to them. I am using them for TRACK ARM for 8 tracks. Same page as my session clip grid. No paging around and paging back. You could label them "1-8" or whatever for additonal visual cues.

I really like the LP. But paging never works for my hand/eye coordination when under pressure in the heat of creative throes. I need everything available right there.
Doesn't htat get rid of your scene launching? i mean, if it fits your workflow than go for it.. but that'd be a deal breaker for me.