What an epiphany!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zee verkawound

What an epiphany!!

Post by zee verkawound » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Well, after struggling with Live 8 suite for the last year or however long it's been out, I finally went back to version 6. I have had it. I am not opening 8 again until the version is truly stable. Right now Live 8 Suite is just a total POS. It's really a sad case of sheer stupidity with respect for the Abes. It's like being in the twilight zone of something. How do you release a product that just keeps getting worse? If Ableton does ANYTHING short of completely restoring their name by REPAIRING 8 from the ground up before going on to one other product or development, I truly believe they will be going out of business. No one can get away with selling anything where every single issue of their product is defective. I don't care how revolutionary their workflow environment is. I don't care who they are or what business they are in. It just doesn't work that way. After loosing a VERY valuable set Thursday evening, that was the last straw.

What I am just about ready to do I have been contemplating for the last 6 months. I am either going to purchase Cubase, Sonar, or Samplitude. I just can't seem to wrap my head around which one will work best for creative purposes.

SubFunk

Re: What an epiphany!!

Post by SubFunk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:42 pm

i totally hear you.

the thing is that i utterly love the program and i want to use it, but it gives me grief without end.
the thing i am most tired of is the response of many users, don't use 3rd party plugs, then you don't have trouble, when i never since the day i started using DAWs had any kind of trouble with any version of a plug in any other DAW i ever used, not matter if it was a super old or the newest or even a cracked version of a plug, only live is having the issue.

i so love live and it is by far my preferred writing and partly also preferred production tool, i love to see it working again.

i really hope they get it sorted soon.

and i am not an ableton live hater, i am an ableton live lover, that is why i am so angry and disappointed.
*** Image GAFM ***

nylarch

Post by nylarch » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:52 pm

Have been demoing Ableton 8 Suite and I have to say going back to regular (non-suite) Live 7 is a pleasure - its snappy, I like the time stretch better - seems like the architecture of the program doesn't really support the direction its going in (full featured content host).

My best experience is running Logic for the content, mixing, instruments, etc. which is quite stable and holds up under the load and having Ableton seperate as kind of a phrase sampler, slice to midi, running clips....kind of more in line with what it did from the beginning.
MacBook Pro; Live 8 Suite, Reaktor; '77 Fender Jazz Bass; Apogee One;

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:54 pm

zee verkawound wrote:Well, after struggling with Live 8 suite for the last year or however long it's been out, I finally went back to version 6. I have had it. I am not opening 8 again until the version is truly stable. Right now Live 8 Suite is just a total POS. It's really a sad case of sheer stupidity with respect for the Abes. It's like being in the twilight zone of something. How do you release a product that just keeps getting worse? If Ableton does ANYTHING short of completely restoring their name by REPAIRING 8 from the ground up before going on to one other product or development, I truly believe they will be going out of business. No one can get away with selling anything where every single issue of their product is defective. I don't care how revolutionary their workflow environment is.

yeah, 8.1.2 is long overdue, Live8 lacks solidity....

I sometimes feel like a fool working on shaky software with my apc... what a dumbass investment

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:18 pm

WaveRider wrote:
zee verkawound wrote:Well, after struggling with Live 8 suite for the last year or however long it's been out, I finally went back to version 6. I have had it. I am not opening 8 again until the version is truly stable. Right now Live 8 Suite is just a total POS. It's really a sad case of sheer stupidity with respect for the Abes. It's like being in the twilight zone of something. How do you release a product that just keeps getting worse? If Ableton does ANYTHING short of completely restoring their name by REPAIRING 8 from the ground up before going on to one other product or development, I truly believe they will be going out of business. No one can get away with selling anything where every single issue of their product is defective. I don't care how revolutionary their workflow environment is.

I sometimes feel like a fool working on shaky software with my apc... what a dumbass investment
Thats what sucks.. the Launchpad and APC40/20 are awesome, but they're not very useful without Live 8, which isn't as stable as it should be.

scientist

Post by scientist » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 pm

SubFunk wrote:and i am not an ableton live hater, i am an ableton live lover, that is why i am so angry and disappointed.
+1. and of course the move from 7 to 8 was when i finally sprang for the suite update. i wish i could get that $300 back.

STRATEGY_510

Post by STRATEGY_510 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:49 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
WaveRider wrote:

Thats what sucks.. the Launchpad and APC40/20 are awesome, but they're not very useful without Live 8, which isn't as stable as it should be.
hey, just curious, what benefits does the Lauchpad have with Live 8 that aren't there in 7?

Just bought a Launchpad..

STRATEGY

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:27 pm

Except for Max4Live, I can't see any advantages.

Obviously for M4L owners, it could be interesting.

I can run monome apps with launchpad on 7 [which I prefer for playing on stage_ talking about stability...]

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:11 pm

Still running 90 % stability which i can live with.

zee verkawound

Post by zee verkawound » Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:39 am

SubFunk wrote:i totally hear you.

the thing is that i utterly love the program and i want to use it, but it gives me grief without end.
the thing i am most tired of is the response of many users, don't use 3rd party plugs, then you don't have trouble, when i never since the day i started using DAWs had any kind of trouble with any version of a plug in any other DAW i ever used, not matter if it was a super old or the newest or even a cracked version of a plug, only live is having the issue.

i so love live and it is by far my preferred writing and partly also preferred production tool, i love to see it working again.

and i am not an ableton live hater, i am an ableton live lover, that is why i am so angry and disappointed.

SF
You pretty much took the words right out of my heart. I have NEVER been able to relate to a post more than the one that you made here. I owe you and I am very uneasy to admit that I almost have tears in my eyes as I write this. It's disgusting beyond words and the fact that I love Live so much makes it infinitely worse. You made that so clear. Even though I know it's temporary, it seems like an eternity damned to the twilight zone. Please put it right Ableton. Even if it means scrapping 8 and giving us all a STABLE 9. Or why not give the users that have been around for a few live generations and purchased the Suite 8 back 2 party (sampler, operator, etc.) licenses for their previous versions? That or you will just end up loosing more respect and admiration than you could ever possibly know is already given you, and yes worse, entrusted to you.

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:10 am

wait, this isnt a thread about tpain?

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:36 am

Hermanus wrote: I can run monome apps with launchpad on 7
sounds intersting..any links or add info how to do that and what are the "monome apps" can do for you?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:49 am

zee verkawound wrote:
SubFunk wrote:i totally hear you.

SF
You pretty much took the words right out of my heart. I have NEVER been able to relate to a post more than the one that you made here. I owe you and I am very uneasy to admit that I almost have tears in my eyes as I write this. It's disgusting beyond words and the fact that I love Live so much makes it infinitely worse. You made that so clear. Even though I know it's temporary, it seems like an eternity damned to the twilight zone. Please put it right Ableton. Even if it means scrapping 8 and giving us all a STABLE 9. Or why not give the users that have been around for a few live generations and purchased the Suite 8 back 2 party (sampler, operator, etc.) licenses for their previous versions? That or you will just end up loosing more respect and admiration than you could ever possibly know is already given you, and yes worse, entrusted to you.

I have to agree that you guys put in words how a lot of folks feel in a very respectful way ( I just don't have the discipline). I've been put down, as have others, for bitching when in fact we are just as hurt as you guys are we just react in a different way. What about the folks who don't have 7 or 6 to go back. My buddies who I use to collab with are gone so I'm stuck with 8.

Thank you for putting that out there and with statements like that Ableton will have to lissten and respect they way WE ALL FEEL.
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

trikster_b

Post by trikster_b » Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:18 am

(Bit of a derail but eh)I've been using version 6 for quite a while now, but I've demoed 8 quite a few times, and I really like it and it allows me to be a lot more creative than 6, but over the past year or so I've seen dozens (hundreds?) of threads on how unstable 8 is, and as I'm planning on buying 8 sometime in the near future, it's got me a little worried.

So I guess my question is: if I've never had problems with the demo version of 8, is it safe to assume that when I buy it, I'll continue to have no problems at all or is there something I'm missing?

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:37 am

trikster_b wrote:(Bit of a derail but eh)I've been using version 6 for quite a while now, but I've demoed 8 quite a few times, and I really like it and it allows me to be a lot more creative than 6, but over the past year or so I've seen dozens (hundreds?) of threads on how unstable 8 is, and as I'm planning on buying 8 sometime in the near future, it's got me a little worried.

So I guess my question is: if I've never had problems with the demo version of 8, is it safe to assume that when I buy it, I'll continue to have no problems at all or is there something I'm missing?
I mean, if you're using the latest update, you should be okay.. I'd say keep your working version of 6 installed, and don't mess with those projects or that Libary.. I REPEAT, KEEP YOUR WORKING SETUP INCLUDING PROJECTS AND LIBRARIES, because you can't go back if you decide to upgrade the libarary to 8, and if you open projects and overwrite them they wont' work in 6.. Hopefully you know all this already.