i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Franz-Olof

Re: i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Post by Franz-Olof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:02 am

I just ordered 8030's. :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

the entire 8000 series works extremely well with super low volumes or the total blast your neighbours will hate you (if they didn't shoot you) for.

there is nothing like it that has such an equal output with different volume settings.

go with the 8030s if you can afford them, they are definitely sufficient for dance productions (or any type of music for that matter, just mention it because people are always so obsessed with the low end in dance tracks), if you can't come up with super duper perfect mixes on those, you simply can't mix. period.

EDIT: damn typos again :oops:
Last edited by SubFunk on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:03 am

Franz-Olof wrote:I just ordered 8030's. :D
nice :D , welcome to the club!

tip: spend a good deal of time setting them up properly (positioning) they are a bit fussy or in other words positioned properly you get a hell lot more out of them.

follow the little setup card that ships with them and go to the genelec website or forum for more tips.

it will make a rather huge difference! (that actually accounts to all monitors, the positioning is more then vital and can even "turn an average speaker into a good one")
*** Image GAFM ***

Franz-Olof

Post by Franz-Olof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:00 am

Thanks.

BUT: the shop just cancelled - they took a wrong price from me. He was very very sorry. Well, so am I. Now i must hunt them down again.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 am

Thomann?

Franz-Olof

Post by Franz-Olof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:08 pm

Rave wrote:Thomann?
No. Just a small netstore. They gave me a good price but I called local shop and next weekend I get to loan both 8020s and 8030s from them and test them in my tiny home studio. I take also Adam 7 sub so I can try that too with Gennies. Will be interesting.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:07 pm

What I meant was you should try them if your current store has let you down.

Tis great that you have the opportunity to try them at home. Tbh I don't think you will need a sub. Lots of top producers don't use teem and if they are set incorrectly you will just have problems.

Good luck with it :)

Franz-Olof

Post by Franz-Olof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:19 pm

SubFunk wrote:the entire 8000 series works extremely well with super low volumes or the total blast your neighbours will hate you (if they didn't shoot you) for.

there is nothing like it that has such an equal output with different volume settings.

go with the 8030s if you can afford them, they are definitely sufficient for dance productions (or any type of music for that matter, just mention it because people are always so obsessed with the low end in dance tracks), if you can't come up with super duper perfect mixes on those, you simply can't mix. period.

EDIT: damn typos again :oops:
This is good to know. The volume thing.

I'm obsessed too!

And I already know that I can't mix but I trust that with Genelecs I can know it even better.

Franz-Olof

Post by Franz-Olof » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:22 pm

Rave wrote:What I meant was you should try them if your current store has let you down.

Tis great that you have the opportunity to try them at home. Tbh I don't think you will need a sub. Lots of top producers don't use teem and if they are set incorrectly you will just have problems.

Good luck with it :)
Ok. I got you now. I do use T-shop also but these I get at least at the same price locally and SOONER.

Rave

Post by Rave » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:58 pm

Franz-Olof wrote:
This is good to know. The volume thing.

I'm obsessed too!

And I already know that I can't mix but I trust that with Genelecs I can know it even better.
I can't mix either but these really do help. Take your time setting them up properly though. I have mine on isolating stands with primacoustic pads (which are not cheap) to tighten up the bass even more. One I have repainted the room I will acoustically treat the room.

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:27 pm

just ordered a pair of genelec 8050 today. can not wait to work with them : )

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:58 pm

Genelecs are nice but not neutral enough and i think a little to bassy for me........But again we all got different ears......Enjoy your new speakers :D
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

DJTIVA

Post by DJTIVA » Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:57 pm

you are about the first to say they are not neutral enough. in comparison to many other monitors i would say they are quite neutral.
as i am mostly into electronic music it is not very bad if the genelecs are bit on the basey side.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:27 pm

33tetragammon wrote:my room is 12m2,ceiling about 2m20-2m50.
OMG - you want to stick a big sub in there? Even 8040/50 would seem to be overkill for that space?

As for general sub use - my space is 5.5m x 6.5m - 12" sub in there and TBH - balancing it is a complete pain.
Like subfunk says - great for spot checking, or just enjoying stuff etc, fiddling with synths etc, but for actual mix decisons - tends to skew them allmost as bad as headphones. I tend to find them more useful as a yes there is bass or no there isnt type thing. And thats after alot of time spent calibrating relative levels and cross over freqencies etc.
Nothing to see here - move along!