i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubFunk

Re: i found the perfect studio monitors!(Genelec)

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:11 pm

i hear you, the first time i heard them i had as well the immediate instant OMFG experience, where the hell is that coming from? where is the real speaker i hear hidden?. they simply and that is particular strong with the 8000 series can't be judged by size, they out weight pretty much any larger system. (that is in their comparable league / price range)

and it was forever clear i need to get some... never looked back and have no intention to ever change the pair i have,
only thing that can happen is a larger model if i ever move to a much larger room. otherwise that is an investment for a lifetime, no need to change.

i even bought them again without even checking anything else again after my first pair was stolen with the sub, well made me 'upgrade' the 8000 are a leap ahead of the old 1029s, even those are as fucking great.
*** Image GAFM ***

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Had the 8040s without a sub for almost 2 years here, and I have to say the bottom end and volume these put out is quite amazing, along with the trademark Genelec imaging and smoothness. I have learnt the point at which I defer tweaking my subs to a properly treated control room on larger monitors. I can do 90% of my production and mixing on them, and then go to a bigger studio to tweak the bottom end.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:23 pm

well,i just went to the Genelec site,the 7050 sub is not suitable for my studio(you need a room of 55-75m3,mine is approx.28 m3)

forget the 8040,8050,also not suited.
the 6010&5040sub ARE suitable for a room like mine,but then i have the subwoofer placement issue again.
frak it,i'm getting the 8030,case closed!

thanks for all the advice,guys!

i salute you!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:32 pm

well, you see.

i know it is nice to have big speakers, but if the room doesn't give it, the room doesn't give it, and it is a vital part (respectively the interaction and placement) and then you are way better of with a smaller system in that case, the results you can achieve with that will be more satisfying then squeezing an elephant into an elevator.

they make that list for a reason, they could be greedy trying to sell the big models up. but they don't, they make sense.
*** Image GAFM ***

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:43 pm

SubFunk wrote:well, you see.

i know it is nice to have big speakers, but if the room doesn't give it, the room doesn't give it, and it is a vital part (respectively the interaction and placement) and then you are way better of with a smaller system in that case, the results you can achieve with that will be more satisfying then squeezing an elephant into an elevator.

they make that list for a reason, they could be greedy trying to sell the big models up. but they don't, they make sense.
yep,another reason i love Genelec,i can't recall the last time i saw a list like that on other speaker manufacturer's sites.
honesty is what counts in the long run.

GO GENELEC!!!!!!!!!
you have my allegiance!!!!!!!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:49 pm

SubFunk wrote:at `Ze2be, he? that must be the first generation 1030s with subs then, the new subs all have specific switches (even remote) to disable them or toggle.
I never realy took time to investigate it. you might be right.. There is a jack input, which I thought was for a center speaker. Its not! It says Remote Subwoofer Bypass! :D Its a jack input. Do I need a special remote device, or can I just plug a jack in there??

Quote from the socket info on the back of the sub:
"The subwoofer is muted and the crossover bypassed when the jack socket tip and sleeve are shorted"

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:53 pm

ze2be wrote:
SubFunk wrote:at `Ze2be, he? that must be the first generation 1030s with subs then, the new subs all have specific switches (even remote) to disable them or toggle.
I never realy took time to investigate it. you might be right.. There is a jack input, which I thought was for a center speaker. Its not! It says Remote Subwoofer Bypass! :D Its a jack input. Do I need a special remote device, or can I just plug a jack in there??

Quote from the socket info on the back of the sub:
"The subwoofer is muted and the crossover bypassed when the jack socket tip and sleeve are shorted"
glad the info was from help after all those years running genies :D

yep, it is just a switch (as stated: short circuit the tip and sleeve). so you can comfortably toggle the sub on/off from your desk.

you can either buy one or make one, yourself.
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:54 pm

*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 pm

genelec has built that in because many engineers like me don't really like to mix with subs.

you might just sort of quickly back check, but not really going through the whole mixing process with a sub running, that is to taste though...
i am definitely one of the no sub for mixing guys.
*** Image GAFM ***

subunit23

Post by subunit23 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:59 pm

I also have a pair of 8030 and am so happy with them! No sub but I do loads of A/B comparisons with commercial tracks of the same genre as mine, for bass management especially. As you said very very revealing, often to the point of embarrassment. I have learned how to mix down with them and have been praised for the clarity of my mix by the engineer you mastered my album recently. I think the 8030 have had a prominent role here.
I sometimes A/B my mixes on a pair of Dynaudio BM5A but never really like what I hear. Hard to describe but I feel the 8030 are really really dry compared to the dynaudio. Less flattering and very clinical. On the BM5A, things sounds too good to be true and less precise if that makes sense.
I would also praise the 8030 for their stereo imaging and the depth. You can really craft 3D environments with them.

If you get the 8030 could I also recommend you made sure your soundcard is up to the game. In my case I went from m-audio to the apogee duet and it completely transformed the experience of mixing.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am

SubFunk wrote:glad the info was from help after all those years running genies :D

yep, it is just a switch. so you can comfortably toggle the sub on/off from your desk.

Cool! :) Ive had the sub a few years, but I have had genelec monitors since around 97. first 1029A, then upgrade to 1030A, and after that, I got the sub.

I found it here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Genelec-700 ... 1442223.gc
$149 is a bit pricey for a little jack switch. Do you know how to build one?

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 am

ze2be wrote:
SubFunk wrote:glad the info was from help after all those years running genies :D

yep, it is just a switch. so you can comfortably toggle the sub on/off from your desk.

Cool! :) Ive had the sub a few years, but I have had genelec monitors since around 97. first 1029A, then upgrade to 1030A, and after that, I got the sub.

I found it here: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Genelec-700 ... 1442223.gc
$149 is a bit pricey for a little jack switch. Do you know how to build one?
yes, take a mono jack plug, use a standard power 2 wire cable (of the length of your choice) solder the tip and the sleeve onto each of the wires and use any hand switch then just solder the two opposite ends onto the switch, so if you trigger the switch the tip and sleeve will short circuit, is that clear?

you need nothing but short circuit between the tip and sleeve of the jack.

149 dollars is plain robbery!

if you buy a real good jack (neutrik) and quality cable and a super duper quality switch, you might spend 30 - 40 dollars max.
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:36 am

SubFunk wrote:yes, take a mono jack plug, use a standard power 2 wire cable (of the length of your choice) solder the tip and the sleeve onto each of the wires and use any hand switch then just solder the two opposite ends onto the switch, so if you trigger the switch the tip and sleeve will short circuit, is that clear?

Can I use a sustain pedal? :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:40 am

ze2be wrote:
SubFunk wrote:yes, take a mono jack plug, use a standard power 2 wire cable (of the length of your choice) solder the tip and the sleeve onto each of the wires and use any hand switch then just solder the two opposite ends onto the switch, so if you trigger the switch the tip and sleeve will short circuit, is that clear?

Can I use a sustain pedal? :D
i don't know,

if i would rather use a foot switch, costs about 20 dollars, no need to buy m-audio or yamaha they are anyway all made by monacor and those you get for 20.

http://www.shopwiki.de/_Monacor+FS-50A+ ... eter+Kabel
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:41 am

SubFunk wrote: if i would rather use a foot switch, costs about 20 dollars, no need to buy m-audio or yamaha they are anyway all made by monacor and those you get for 20.
This one: http://www.rolandus.com/products/produc ... oductId=53