Novation Nocturn Keyboard...What Were they thinking??

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
evanb

Novation Nocturn Keyboard...What Were they thinking??

Post by evanb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:45 pm

Who is this keyboard targeted to? I cant figure it out? is it for live play, or DJ's? Is it a pricepoint thing?

anamexis

Re: Novation Nocturn Keyboard...What Were they thinking??

Post by anamexis » Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:47 pm

People to people who make electronic music, and want quick access to a couple parameters?
(Like, say, Live's instant mappings)

IP

Post by IP » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:51 pm

what is wrong with nocturn keyboard?

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:52 pm

i think it looks banging
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

evanb

Post by evanb » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:58 pm

It does look cool, just tryign to understand...was it just for someone who didn't want all the on hand controls of a remote sl? Are they trying to market it more towards Djs and live use

flippo

Post by flippo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:46 am

I think it would be great for ad-hoc studio use, where you want to quickly control a random plug-in from your keyboard using automap (providing it works as well as the videos suggest)

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Pretty sure its targeted more as a 'my first midi controler' type thing for beginners and what not. The SL series is very nice, but the pricepoint is arguably prohibitive for people just starting out.

Also worth bearing in mind that the flexibility of automap means that for some people the nocturn keyboard offers enough control.
Not everyone needs loads of knobs and faders...
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

IP

Post by IP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:08 pm

come on guys... it is just an alternative suggestion from novation.

What Were they thinking??

To make a top-build-quality unit with less features in a very low price.
And they succeeded 100%

Is there something strange?

When i got nocturn 49 on my hands i couldnt believe it!

The plastics and keys are top quality imo
and the price is ridiculous for what you get!

and like jake noise said
Not everyone needs loads of knobs and faders...

Now about this 1
jake noise wrote:Pretty sure its targeted more as a 'my first midi controler' type thing for beginners and what not.
i disagree... come on
Its all about what needs everybody have ... if someone dont need 1000 shit is he a beginner?
Last edited by IP on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evanb

Post by evanb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I am not doubting the quality just wondering who they were marketing to, there is no clear marketing ..so I was just curious

IP

Post by IP » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

It is very clear to me...

It is for people who need a 25 or 49 quality key controller with aftertouch

that needs maximum

8 endless encoders
16 buttons
8 velo. pads
speed dial
automap

and have a budget of ~250-260 euros :ppp

sorry for my English, im sure i have made many mistakes :oops:

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:59 pm

evanb wrote:I am not doubting the quality just wondering who they were marketing to, there is no clear marketing ..so I was just curious
It does look good-- pads, knobs, and higher quality keys with programmable aftertouch = controller stuff + nice musicality. It is also a good price point for the feature set.

So it is aimed at both "laptop musicians" and "laptop DJs", although *slightly* more towards the former than the latter I'd say.

Maybe more generally, the are "building the nocturn nameplate" product line. There are similar offerings from Korg and Akai, also-- it seems to compete well with those.

[edit] I would like to see a product that is the the top part of this (knobs, pads, etc) where the keys were replaced by a set of eight or so footswitches connected by a cable.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 pm

Its all about what needs everybody have ... if someone dont need 1000 shit is he a beginner?
not quite what I was trying to imply...

I guess a better way of putting it is that I see it appealing to two markets: those for who the SL series is overkill and those for whom the SL is too expensive (not neccessarily beginners, but low price gear is always going to be more attractive to beginners).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that not needing 1000 knobs doesn't mean you're a beginner, far from it. In fact I'd argue there's a real skill and benefits in using a more minimal set up sometimes.
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

Rationalizer

Post by Rationalizer » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 pm

jake noise wrote:Pretty sure its targeted more as a 'my first midi controler' type thing for beginners and what not. The SL series is very nice, but the pricepoint is arguably prohibitive for people just starting out.
Yeah, but what about Remote SL Compact? It was replaced by the nocturn series but I can't figure out why.
WIN8.1 x64 | Suite 9.5 x64 | RME FF400 | UAD-2 | Maschine 2 | SparkLE | Mopho | Blodeld | Komplete 9 | Ebony A2 | Adam A7 | Launchpad | Waves Diamond V9 | Many VSTs

Facebook | Youtube | Soundcloud | Beatport

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:21 pm

I really like those keyboards. Ringed LED knobs always rule, and that Speed Dial knob is supposed to map itself to whatever you point your mouse at. A lot of MIDI controllers come with buttons and crap that I'll never end up using, whereas the Nocturn seems to have everything I would use.

My problem is that the 25 is too small of a keyboard, and the 49 is too big (at least for what I'm looking for right now). If they made the footprint a bit smaller by moving the pitch and mod wheels, and added a few more keys to get it up to 32 or 36 keys, it would be a drop-dead no brainer of a choice for me. But, as it stands, the Edirol PCR-300 is my current fave.

evanb

Post by evanb » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:27 pm

I was considering the nocturn which is part of the reason of the start of this thread...I dont use the keyboard much and not looking for a APC so I may consider the Remote Xero MKII now since it appears to be better for mixer controls and studio use with the longer sliders and layout. Then may just got with a AKAI LPK25