minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beviz

Re: minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Post by beviz » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:21 pm

There was a time :) , when the whole "minimal techno" schtick was associated with people like Jeff Mills or Rob Hood. Back then, it was something that didn't make you throw up even if it was on repeat for 3 hours ("Waveform transmission vol.1" or "Internal Empire" for example) - most of the crap that's being called "minimal" these days really sounds like an excuse for boring, lifeless, just plain crappy tracks, it's really hard not to agree...

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm

@ LM,

the entire contact crew is on the forefront of boredom, all of them and the related labels, to start with.

need more?

start with those, and you will be bored for a long time... if you need more boredom, ask me.
*** Image GAFM ***

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:30 pm

i don't know contact crew. how about i name some "minimal" techno that is mind blowing instead? basic channel. troy pierce. Mathew dear as false. heartthrob. kassem mosse.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:35 pm

beviz wrote:There was a time :) , when the whole "minimal techno" schtick was associated with people like Jeff Mills or Rob Hood. Back then, it was something that didn't make you throw up even if it was on repeat for 3 hours ("Waveform transmission vol.1" or "Internal Empire" for example) - most of the crap that's being called "minimal" these days really sounds like an excuse for boring, lifeless, just plain crappy tracks, it's really hard not to agree...
This

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:38 pm

for those who dig minimal, here´s a couple of nice mixes:

http://soundcloud.com/gach

the last mix cant be downloaded on soundcloud, but here: http://digitalkranky.de/v8/index.php?id=211

its the one I like the most.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:18 pm

new?

caaflex

Post by caaflex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:47 pm

SubFunk wrote: the point of minimal tracks is that they are plain tools for real good DJs
not true. not saying that you cant mix the hell out of a bunch of minimal tracks and have a quality set, but it's not the point of minimal techno. the point of minimal is minimize to maximize.

i don't understand why there is all the bashing of minimal techno on here? it's nothing new, if anything it's already passed it's hay day and starting to evolve and blend with other genres like all dance music eventually does.

there is a lot of intolerance on this board, which can be expected from amateur musicians, but a true musician can appreciate other forms of music regardless of their personal tastes. so maybe those minimal haters out there just don't get it, maybe you have never really heard good minimal in a proper environment, who cares. but why waste so many threads bitching about it? i've only been posting on here for about a month and this is probably the fourth of fifth thread with the same people bashing on minmial techno over and over again like it's going to convince anyone else to not like it anymore.

get over it already yo.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm

@ caaflex,

well i agree, speaking only for myself the reason i 'rant' is because i live in a city of total musical intolerance and have hardly any choice to listen or play other music then the type of minimal that is bad, real bad, they can not even filter out the good stuff of that genre from the bad, not even speaking of providing or accepting any other music styles, that accounts not just for listening but also playing, people hardly except it, at least not to an amount which i would consider healthy or tolerant in a city that size, people here are everything but musical tolerant.

i actually do not hate it, yes it is old and usually boring, but of course there is some hidden gems. but it's a forum, so i can rant rather then as i mentioned already punching the next DJ, when i go to a club.

makes me feel better at least for a few seconds, to let the blast out here, virtual.

and i feel like some others feel like that, too.

p.s. i would love for example to listen to some good, real go liquid funk every now and then, it is impossible here. i tried since 2 years, once, bloody once was a liquid funk party on a wednesday at watergate, and that in berlin, pffft... tolerance my ass (the reason why there is not much else around is because people do not accept anything else!!!). people are utterly narrow minded here (when it comes to music!), i don't even want to tell you what kind of experiences i sometimes have people coming up to me and making comments about musicians performing at the ableton live user group's open stage here... makes me want to throw the towel sometimes.
*** Image GAFM ***

caaflex

Post by caaflex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:06 pm

man i'd be stoked to live in Berlin. such good music out there. but i dont doubt that it is oversaturated in minimal and techno.

i agree with you though, a lot of the minimal DJs nowadays play some pretty bad stuff. but there are going to be bad tracks and bad DJs in every genre. but thats a good reason to punch the dj, not hate the entire genre. there really is some REALLY good minimal techno and minimal house out there.

i used to hate minimal myself till i heard a good dj play it on a proper system. sometimes with music as, for lack of a better term, "advanced" as minimal techno it takes the right environment for the listener to get the full experience.

but i hear ya, rant on my man. just don't mind the occasional anti-rant rant from me :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 pm

I fucking hate anti-rant rants!!! get that shit out of here!!

Steve Reich posts without youtubes??
Piano Phase played by one person(!!!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKXy1FPTdvg

Music for 18 Musicians (kind of annoyingly broken into parts)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU23LqQ6 ... PL&index=1

etc.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:12 pm

one thing is for sure, in terms of music berlin is so utterly overrated, i left berlin now 13 years ago (i was born here) because of music (same thing no progression, since the haydays of 87 - 92/94) and i came back now nearly 2 years ago and they are still on the same low level. i made a huge mistake! that is for sure.

and to the low level i do not only mean the music, but the whole environment, quality of clubs, etc. bad, just cheap and dirty and rotten, no real quality.

ahhh well, it is me i have to blame to come back into the fucking giant toilet, i should have known better, i was born here and know germans.

end of rant.

or i am to old, i was already on illegal acid house warehouse parties long time before the fucking wall came down. and the kids jumped on the train.
*** Image GAFM ***

caaflex

Post by caaflex » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:16 pm

you should come out to the states sometime. People out here listen to all kinds of different EDM. The mainstream stuff is usually pretty cheesey but there is a good underground scene in most bigger cities. Check out the line up for Electric Daisy Carnival in California this year. Little bit of everything, but again you get the commercial mainstream crap too.

Minimal is still pretty underground in most parts out here. lots of good warehouse parties with DJs that really dig the music and aren't just hopping on the trend or conforming to the norm. Probably why I like it so much more since it's not being forcefed to me on every corner. That's more TOP 40 hip hop and pop music out here.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:18 pm

Tone Deft wrote: JIF - can you refresh us on what your music sounds like? what do you call it? think we'd ALL like it? (you do Electribey trance kind of stuff, right?)
My music is basically crappy, and I don't really call it anything since it's not worth sharing. I accept that it's not very good, but what I don't do is call it minimal as an excuse for how boring it is.

I found a track on youtube the other day that had over a full minute of kick and high hat before ANYTHING else happened. They called it minimal.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:20 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:people who slag off entire genres are almost invariably complete twats who don't actually know anything about music.
.lm.
For the record I'm not slagging an entire genre of music. I'm saying that all too often people use minimal as an excuse for boring track. Theres good music in every genre I truly believe that.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:36 pm

minimal™