minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:43 pm

JIF - I've enjoyed stuff of yours I heard and I certainly wouldn't say it's bad or not worthy. wanna hear the bland pointless crap I make? ;) IMO it's amazing that we write songs at all.

maybe the real issue is that SOME MUSIC SHOULD STAY ON THE F-ING HARD DRIVE!!!! :evil:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

beviz

Post by beviz » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:39 am

Tone Deft wrote:
maybe the real issue is that SOME MUSIC SHOULD STAY ON THE F-ING HARD DRIVE!!!! :evil:
The smartest thing written in this thread.

smutek

Post by smutek » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:48 am

Johnisfaster wrote:to clarify I'm not anti minimal at all, I like minimal music and the minimal approach to music. But minimal doesn't mean boring as shit. And often times you see people making a boring as shit song and they call it "minimal techno" like it's an excuse. like "nah, theres nothing going on here and it's really boring. But that's okay cause it's a minimal track"

no, no it's not okay.
Sure it is.

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:26 pm

I usually listen to minimal as background music, either at work or when I go for a walk. Very rarely does any of it ever catch my fancy enough to pay close attention to it.

I do appreciate the aesthetic, though, both in music and art, as well as architecture.
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:22 pm

KrisM wrote: I do appreciate the aesthetic, though, both in music and art, as well as architecture.
Here's the finished house I bought from a minimal architect.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:24 pm

beats me wrote:
KrisM wrote: I do appreciate the aesthetic, though, both in music and art, as well as architecture.
Here's the finished house I bought from a minimal architect.

well, with enough cheap & shit drugs you can easy live there and feel comfortable.

never been in a junky house? ohhh.. hang on those are dark, tasteless and dirty. my bad.
*** Image GAFM ***

chis

Post by chis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:55 am

Yes, I agree. And that includes Deadmau5 and Villalobos.

I don't care if these guys have production skills, that means fuck all if they can't write a good melody. Could they match house beats to an infectious piano riff?

The naughties were all about the conversion of dance music as DJ tools, rather than "anthems", or proper songs. Minimal techno is the ultimate result of this. No-one writes tracks any more, even, just loops that'll shake some boo-tay in a club.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:45 am

Depends on the booty i woud say...

mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:51 am

besides.. minimal is no musical style.its a dj style.. besides that its all house music and everything is allowed except beeing gross and ungroovy...

stupid copy cats of cause that think they have to do the imaginary style by copying tooltracks and b-sides result in the picture that minimal is a boring techno style.. but far from it.. a real "minimal" hit is a full featured techno/house hit with all that it needs incl. hooklines and 4 bar basslines some even have vocals...

besides.. people that mention ricardo and deadmouse in one sentence disqualify for statemenst regarding electronic music anyway...

chis

Post by chis » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:05 am

*Passes 3Phase his new elitist cap*

They both produce thoroughly boring minimal music, Villalobos seems a tiny bit more able to write grooves. But why do they need to go on for 10-20-30 minutes?

Oh yes, I just remembered you're a troll. Leave the grown-ups to discuss the important things.

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:08 am

minimal ? are you guys kidding me, that is sooo 2008 :wink:

these days its all about the funky tech house with loads and loads of bongos - allmost exhausting to listen to, thought the african drum hype would die after people get sick of it - but its still going strong and its hard to find any tech house without bongos these days - infact, i doubt that there are any tracks withou them

beside that, i like funky tech house a lot 8)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:44 am

Nick Shepherd wrote:beside that, i like funky tech house a lot 8)
besides the fact that i love so much different music, from jazz, over pop, over rock, over nearly everything really, but when it comes to dancefloor electronica... then funky techouse is as well within my favourite, it contains sex. however for the dancefloor it has to be funky of some sort.
*** Image GAFM ***

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 am

chis wrote:*Passes 3Phase his new elitist cap*

They both produce thoroughly boring minimal music, Villalobos seems a tiny bit more able to write grooves. But why do they need to go on for 10-20-30 minutes?

Oh yes, I just remembered you're a troll. Leave the grown-ups to discuss the important things.
grown up? you? :lol:

sorry.. i dont find the word to describe you incompetence wright now...

just had a listen to your generic pseudo trance tracks... tss...you are really not in the position to critizise ricardo or deadmau or call them boring...

a diffiuse wash of preset string sounds over ungroovy beats with lots of shaklag here and tüdelü there, with the over all emotional expression of elevator music made on chrystal meth...
And the general lack of an own musical idea... all the tracks sound the same...

tss..

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 pm

plymouth is awash with trance, happy hardcore and the sort of funk middleclass people like before they settle into a steady diet of coldplay and perpetuating a necrotic capitalist machine. You guys complaining about minimal dj tools being played in near infinite sets- well afaic you're in some form of futuristic paradise.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:46 pm

3phase wrote:
chis wrote:*Passes 3Phase his new elitist cap*

grown up? you? :lol:

sorry.. i dont find the word to describe you incompetence wright now...

just had a listen to your generic pseudo trance tracks... tss...you are really not in the position to critizise ricardo or deadmau or call them boring...

a diffiuse wash of preset string sounds over ungroovy beats with lots of shaklag here and tüdelü there, with the over all emotional expression of elevator music made on chrystal meth...
And the general lack of an own musical idea... all the tracks sound the same...

tss..
3phase - you want to play the "I'm a pro and I'm pissed off card" that's cool, I guess, it's your income, but how about acting like a fucking pro and stop being a dick?? no 'pro' worth his salt would write shit like that.

his tunes huh? where are your tunes? are you really THAT good?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz