Macbook's Pro HD upgrade...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
logic_user99

Re: Macbook's Pro HD upgrade...

Post by logic_user99 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:00 am

+1 for this thread. I need to replace the HDD in my Macbook; 120GB is nowhere near big enough.

Only got 18GB left and don't have any of my sample libraries on there...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:02 am

logic_user99 wrote:+1 for this thread. I need to replace the HDD in my Macbook; 120GB is nowhere near big enough.

Only got 18GB left and don't have any of my sample libraries on there...
i am in the exactly same situation...

i want to go for a 7200 rpm seagate, but i am still a but scared doing it myself, as i have the MBP model where you need to take the entire computer apart to change the HD.
*** Image GAFM ***

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:10 am

SubFunk wrote:i want to go for a 7200 rpm seagate, but i am still a but scared doing it myself, as i have the MBP model where you need to take the entire computer apart to change the HD.
It really isn't difficult - you just have to make sure you use the right tools (a couple of small jewelers screwdrivers and a Torx 6 driver) and make sure you don't force anything. These instructions were simple to follow:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 529,00.asp

Go on, you know you want to... :D

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:34 am

Pitch Black wrote:
SubFunk wrote:i want to go for a 7200 rpm seagate, but i am still a but scared doing it myself, as i have the MBP model where you need to take the entire computer apart to change the HD.
It really isn't difficult - you just have to make sure you use the right tools (a couple of small jewelers screwdrivers and a Torx 6 driver) and make sure you don't force anything. These instructions were simple to follow:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2 ... 529,00.asp

Go on, you know you want to... :D
thanks for the encouragement :D , well i guess i will dare it soon...

i just need desperately a larger disk.
*** Image GAFM ***

glysigakis

Post by glysigakis » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 pm

@ Pithcblack
This is the same hd i bought.
I'm sure that i am not going to face any problems,i'm only going to use each progr at a time,djing with traktor or producing with logic.For logic content i am going to use my lacie rugged fw 800.I hope that traktor's 2nd installation won't make any problem.I am going for a clean installation with Snow Leopard.

Thank you all guys for your replies.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:33 pm

It's really simple SubFunk, not that hard at all.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:20 pm

Tarekith wrote:It's really simple SubFunk, not that hard at all.

how did you managed the cloning?, i mean where did you put your old disk into?, did you had an extra enclosure? that is also my problem, i don't want a fresh install if possible, i like to just clone my old disk onto the new one... the software is also not the problem... but how to physically transfer the data?, i need an external enclosure where i can put the old disk temporarily, right? or is there a different solution?
*** Image GAFM ***

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:29 pm

I did a fresh install for mine, for my wife's I just restored from a Time Machine back up, worked perfect.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:37 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Tarekith wrote:It's really simple SubFunk, not that hard at all.

how did you managed the cloning?, i mean where did you put your old disk into?, did you had an extra enclosure? that is also my problem, i don't want a fresh install if possible, i like to just clone my old disk onto the new one... the software is also not the problem... but how to physically transfer the data?, i need an external enclosure where i can put the old disk temporarily, right? or is there a different solution?
I do this- clone discs OS and the rest since past 5 years (so all structures/paths are same- partitions OS, Live, Samples, Music (which is Traktor + song collection).
You need external box. All companies Apple or PC try to earn too much on HDDs. I always buy HDD I want, at price I like. Meanwhile have collection of discs in external boxes. Good for organising stuff, 1 for Traktor backup only, 1 for video,1 for general backups, 1 for video editing etc. I think it is more reliable, takes less space then bloody CDs and DVDs and makes it easy to find your data.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:44 pm

Tarekith wrote:I did a fresh install for mine, for my wife's I just restored from a Time Machine back up, worked perfect.

ahhh... of course time machine, perfect, i use that as well... so i guess it is sorted then...

thanks, Tarektih.
*** Image GAFM ***

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:25 pm

Yeah go for a 500gb internal. Actually I think they have a little bigger now, like 640gb or something. The 1gb are still on the way I think, not sure.

I've got the content from Logic Pro 9, Ableton Suite, Konplete 6, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX expanded, Maschine, several Kontakt libraries and about 40gb of samples built up over the years, all on the internal 500gb 5,400 rpm drive. Works fine.

And +1 on Time Maschine. I've got an external 1 TB drive as backup for my internal 500gb. Switching hard drives couldn't be easier. Just hit restore from the backup when the new drive is in.
Professional Shark Jumper.