Help me pick a new interface please! :)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

Help me pick a new interface please! :)

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:27 pm

Firebox just died. Gotta buy something now.

Windows 7
Need at least 2 XLR ins, 2 more 1/4" ins, preferably more.
Need separate headphone out
Low latency
Must be rugged for lots of taking it out of the studio, gigging
$200-$300 range

I really liked my Firebox. Could use more inputs and lower latency.

Also looking at:
Mackie Onyx Satellite - Looks fantastic for me, but gets terrible reviews, discontinued.
Focusrite Saffire - I like that it has onboard DSP fx, such as reverb. Don't like the plastic case, and its discontinued
Focusrite Saffire Pro - I wish it had onboard DSP fx, otherwise looks very much like Firebox
RME Fireface 400 - Gets me so wet, but waaaaay out of my budget! :cry:

Any ideas?

I'm also madly searching reviews on all of these pieces, but hoping someone here as additional insight. Gotta get the studio back up and running before I go mad from deprivation!!

GrooveNinja

Re: Help me pick a new interface please! :)

Post by GrooveNinja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:33 pm

Save up your money and get the RME. A really great interface, along with great monitors, are things of great beauty, and you will never regret buying them. You will even wonder how you ever got along without them!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 pm

You are an evil evil man!

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:58 pm

Scratch the Onyx no matter what...only 2 inputs at once. Too bad, I really really like the design and durable build.

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:03 pm

ethios4 wrote:You are an evil evil man!
It's the truth!

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:07 pm

ethios4 wrote:Scratch the Onyx no matter what...only 2 inputs at once. Too bad, I really really like the design and durable build.
Still, it doesn't compare to the RME... :twisted:

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:15 pm

When I think about spending that kind of money I start thinking about all the other steps in the equation that I need to fix....proper bass treatment of the studio being #1. For the price of the RME I could get a Firebox, bass traps, and an APC40. *sigh*

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:19 pm

It's looking like either the Firebox or the Saffire Pro 24. They are basically identical, but the Saffire has an on/off switch. I've used the Firebox for a long time and I'm quite happy with it, but maybe I would be even happier with the Saffire? Decisions decisions...

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:26 pm

The Saffire definitely seems to have a more robust software mixer.....much more....

GrooveNinja

Post by GrooveNinja » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:43 pm

I have no experience with either, but Focusrite seems to me to be a higher quality company with the higher quality product. They make some very high-end equipment.

In my experience, in the long run, it always pays to buy the best. If you buy the best, you buy it once. If you cheap out and buy something lesser, you always end up buying the best in the end. It just ends up costing you more. That has been my hard-learned (and expensive!) lesson, being somewhat frugal by nature. :oops:

flippo

Post by flippo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:20 pm

check out the Echo range

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm

GrooveNinja wrote:I have no experience with either, but Focusrite seems to me to be a higher quality company with the higher quality product. They make some very high-end equipment.

In my experience, in the long run, it always pays to buy the best. If you buy the best, you buy it once. If you cheap out and buy something lesser, you always end up buying the best in the end. It just ends up costing you more. That has been my hard-learned (and expensive!) lesson, being somewhat frugal by nature. :oops:
listen to him...
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:45 pm

I've got a tc electronics konnekt 6 that I've been liking (loving) a lot... it seems like it would work for gigging.. in hindsight I fucked the duck because it doesn't have phono jacks but thats not too bad for my scene... only 2 inputs too, where I'm going with all that bad press is - I think its still worth a look for you...

http://www.tcelectronic.com/DesktopKonnekt6.asp<- what I have

http://www.tcelectronic.com/audiointerfaces.asp<- other options

The price is right and remember... if you find it super cheap online, Guitar Center will price match and you can beat em out of sales tax to boot.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:30 am

Oooh interesting....I had not even looked at those. The Impact Twin is looking pretty good....gonna have a closer look. Thanks!

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Mar 19, 2010 1:44 am

Id recommend these as gig safe:
1. RME -good size, elite sound
2. MOTU Ultralight -good size, great sound
3. Native Instruments -great size, great sound

I do have a Mackie Onyx in the studio that has been great. Except I burned the power supply. Im currently using one of my gig cards, the ultralight, which also is great. The Onyx have been rock solid for years, and it sounds great. That said, I don't think the Satelite delivers enough i/o for its size. I also use a smaller laptop card: Echo Indigo DJ for smaller gigs. Also rock solid and good sound.

One of my buddies got one of those Focusrites. Its been nothing but trouble. This and that.

Native or Motu for smart budget with quality. RME for no compromise!