Sugar Bytes.. do I get Thesys or Consequence?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Sugar Bytes.. do I get Thesys or Consequence?

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:13 pm

lolalola, are these not the exact steps I sent in the PM yesterday? (Including step 5 above) Did you not get it working?
Professional Shark Jumper.

nepotist

Post by nepotist » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:54 pm

I am I missing something with this program (Consequence)? I bought it on a whim and I was not impressed at all with the built in library, I thought it sounded pretty crap. What are people using this program for, I'd be interested to hear other's take on it. Maybe I just haven't explored it enough. I was using it to trigger stuff in Live for a while but it seemed like there were easier ways of doing that as well...
The Sales Department
TWITTER
FACEBOOK
BANDCAMP Download "Airlock" free-10 songs recorded in 10 Days

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:52 pm

nepotist wrote:I am I missing something with this program (Consequence)? I bought it on a whim and I was not impressed at all with the built in library, I thought it sounded pretty crap. What are people using this program for, I'd be interested to hear other's take on it. Maybe I just haven't explored it enough. I was using it to trigger stuff in Live for a while but it seemed like there were easier ways of doing that as well...
Ya I tried it but wasn't really that into it. I only would have used it for triggering other synths, so it's a bit pricey for an arp. I just use synths with built in sequencing arps for that stuff like Zebra, Alchemy, sylenth1, Kontakt etc.

Thesys I did grab though because it's a cool little mono sequencer with interesting pattern creation and mangling tools, and it's handy to have for use in Kore when you've got multiple instruments and want to sequence them from the same track. And also it's normally a fair bit cheaper. Although consequence is cheap right now too I think.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:22 pm

It didn't come out as expected but none the less here is a short video describing the routing needed to get midi from Thesys into another track. http://www.vimeo.com/10330495 The video does not highlight the audio from the vst's because I messed things up in the capture but you'll still get the idea of what is needed. And I'll fix the video later after I get something to eat.

In addition, I'll upload a video a little later on showing how to route the separate outs from Consequence using Bidule. This allows you to have separate instruments for each midi channel coming otu of Consequence.

Edit: The audio is fixed in the example video.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:14 am

UncleAge wrote:In addition, I'll upload a video a little later on showing how to route the separate outs from Consequence using Bidule. This allows you to have separate instruments for each midi channel coming out of Consequence.
I'm not sure when I'll be able to complete the Consequence video. I tried recording the video 5 times this evening. Each time I tried, Live would crash. I don't know what's causing it but regardless I'll just wait until things are a bit more stable and share the video then. btw, the Live/Bidule/Consequence setup runs without a hitch in Live 7. So, I'm sure they'll work out whatever bugs are in 8.1 that is keeping it from working on my system.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:17 pm

UncleAge wrote:It didn't come out as expected but none the less here is a short video describing the routing needed to get midi from Thesys into another track. http://www.vimeo.com/10330495 The video does not highlight the audio from the vst's because I messed things up in the capture but you'll still get the idea of what is needed. And I'll fix the video later after I get something to eat.

In addition, I'll upload a video a little later on showing how to route the separate outs from Consequence using Bidule. This allows you to have separate instruments for each midi channel coming otu of Consequence.

Edit: The audio is fixed in the example video.

Hey again -

I'm having issues here, please tell me there's something glaringly obvious that I'm doing wrong! I followed the video - 2 image files below show where I'm at. I get no sound out of Thesys, though my bassline track sounds as it should... ??

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:22 pm

Hey man,

I'm just going to post here since you're posting exactly the same things here and to my PM inbox. That way you don't have to write everything twice. :wink:

I have a feeling you might be playing a blank sequence in thesys or something. The setup looks right. Can you post a screenshot of thesys too? Get rid of all notes in your midi track in ableton as well and just manually set the pattern for now in thesys.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:34 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Hey man,

I'm just going to post here since you're posting exactly the same things here and to my PM inbox. That way you don't have to write everything twice. :wink:

I have a feeling you might be playing a blank sequence in thesys or something. The setup looks right. Can you post a screenshot of thesys too? Get rid of all notes in your midi track in ableton as well and just manually set the pattern for now in thesys.

Ok - leave it with me! :)

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:40 pm

These are 3 more screenshots :

RajahP

Post by RajahP » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:24 pm

Try turning ON Thesys 'internal' synth if you want to hear sounds from Thesys.

Noticed it was off in the pic.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 pm

RajahP wrote:Try turning ON Thesys 'internal' synth if you want to hear sounds from Thesys.

Noticed it was off in the pic.

That's so I can get it to sequence the other track, which it isn't doing.
Even when I turn it on, it doesn't have any of its own sounds play.....?

chilleddreams

Post by chilleddreams » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:51 pm

2 more things to check:

1.) make shure you use the VST version of Thesys (not AU!), since AU cannot send MIDI
2.) maybe you need to create a MIDI clip on the Thesys track to trigger the sequence playback. The played note selects the pattern in Thesys (I think that's the default behaviour in Thesys - but there may be other configs).
Mac mini 2018 i5 3 GHZ, 8 GB RAM, Sonnet eGPU
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6, Live 10 Suite, Push 2,
Maschine Studio, Electribe EMX/ESX, Pulse
UAD Satellite Duo

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:03 pm

chilleddreams wrote:2 more things to check:

1.) make shure you use the VST version of Thesys (not AU!), since AU cannot send MIDI
2.) maybe you need to create a MIDI clip on the Thesys track to trigger the sequence playback. The played note selects the pattern in Thesys (I think that's the default behaviour in Thesys - but there may be other configs).

Yes and yes to both of those (See pics)! :(

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:49 pm

I made one glaring ommission and I can't tell from your screen shot because you have the synth open. Close the synth section in Thesys and you will have some options to set going down the right hand side. The first section is the midi indicators, the second is for octave and transpose. In the third section there are five ovals. Make sure the 3rd oval "Trigger Mode" is set to "Host". That will make Thesys sync to Live's tempo automatically.

[Edit]Sorry, I can't post pics from my work computer.

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:45 am

Just looking at those screen shots...it doesn't look like the play on thesys is triggered.....do you get anything if you have "play" going in the live transport, then mouse click on the "play" button near the bottom right hand corner of thesys? Kind of a dumb long shot try to help, I have just played around with the demo a bit and in the little I used it found that the play trigger in live doesn't start thesys like consequence, you have to either trigger it by holding a midi key, or clicking on that play button. This is probably better answered by the answer above that explains how to synch with the live transport.

As far as the Thesys vs. Consequence question......I rarely use consequence, it's the only sugarbytes product I have bought and don't really appreciate much. I love how Thesys is based around just sequencing and leaves out the sounds for the most part, I thought I was getting a full midi compliant sequencer when I bought Consequence, what I really wanted was Thesys!

If anybody out there is more inclined to the built in sounds included with consequence, I'm willing to part with it cheap.....Thesys does what I want in the way mapping hardware sliders for sequencing, and modulation parameters built into the sequencing timeline in a simple interface.

On a completely unrelated note, is there a way to midi map the sequencer notes in the live.step object? I don't know how to activate the "automate and store" parameter. (I know this is the wrong forum to ask but oh well)