Help with routing tracks internally to Live (not so basic)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Gravis

Help with routing tracks internally to Live (not so basic)

Post by Gravis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:05 am

Hi guys

Ok so i'll try to keep it as clear and simple as i can, and hopefully i've simply missed the section in the manual and if so can you please point me to it as i have read a few different sections trying to find the answer.

Lets say i have 2 audio tracks in an Ableton Live set (i'm looking at the session view as well), Track 1 and Track 2.

Track 1 is a bog standard track, does nothing special, i put a clip in it and play it, no effects or anything, end of story. Its output is to external out 1
Track 2 is set up to take in audio (record it/it's armed) from Track 1 (Pre FX - although i dont think it matters), and its output is to external out 2.

So I play Track 1 and let it go for a minute lets say, then I hit record on one of the empty clip slots on Track 2 and the clip records perfectly as expected, lets say i record a 4 bar loop then stop the recording. I have now successfully recorded a 4 bar loop of Track 1 into a clip on Track 2.

I now want to play that recorded 4 bar loop to its external out (external out 2) WHILST Track 1 is still playing (Track 1 MUST keep playing!).

PROBLEM: Track 2 plays its loop but adds Track 1 to the output so the track is clipping like crazy! (it's adding the output of Track 1 to the output of Track 2)

WHAT I NEED:
When Track 2 is playing a clip, it stops the input from Track 1 from coming out of Track 2's output.

OR (not quite as good)

I want to know how to make it so that the output of Track 1 is not heard in Track 2's output ever, but Track 2 can still record the output of Track 1

Hopefully that made sense and there's an easy solution and i wake up tomorrow with one of you nice peoples responses :)

Thanks for reading!

p.s i Have Max4Live so if a really good solution needs me to do something with that then i can do it :)
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

ark

Re: Help with routing tracks internally to Live (not so basic)

Post by ark » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:16 am

If (when) you don't want to hear Track 2's input as part of its output, can't you just turn off monitoring in Track 2?

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:16 am

I'm not sure if the problem is what you think it is.

the track can only accept one input at a time. It cannot monitor the "in" of the track (as in record enabled or monitoring set to "in") as well as play a clip. If you have the monitoring set to auto, it should monitor the "in" until the moment a clip is played. This should be what you want.

What i'm also trying to figure out: if you have track 2 set to record enable you should hear track 1 through ext 2 the whole time.

Can you take a screen shot? or upload the set to zshare.net? I must be missing something...
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:23 pm

+ 1

I set up a session as you described, & followed your procedure. I get the exact results you want (as I understand them).

Track 1 (source material) plays out external output 1 when the newly recorded clip is playing in Track 2.
Track 2 (recorded material) only plays out external output 2.
Track 1 is not playing out external output 2 when a clip is playing in Track 2.

If I stop playing the newly recorded clip in Track 2 the audio from Track 1 will resume playing out Track 2.

In fact, I can't get it so that I hear both the newly recorded clip & the source audio from Track 1 playing out Track 2 at the same time -Just like Jekblad pointed out.
Jekblad wrote:What i'm also trying to figure out: if you have track 2 set to record enable you should hear track 1 through ext 2 the whole time.
EXCEPT when a clip is playing in Track 2, then all you will hear in Track 2 is the clip playing in Track 2.

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:49 pm

I'll give it a go tomorrow, there's a chance, i guess, that this is a Xone 92 issue and the routing is going funny there, but i dont think so :?

Thanks for the help guys i really appreciate it, cant wait to try it all out!
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

jake noise

Post by jake noise » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 pm

[quote]I want to know how to make it so that the output of Track 1 is not heard in Track 2's output ever, but Track 2 can still record the output of Track 1/quote]

Ok you could use resampling to do this:

Track 1 should be audio to master and the master's audio to should be set to ext 1

Track 2 should be set to resampling on audio in and audio to should be set to ext 2. Also monitor should be set to auto and recording should be on for track 2.

Now when you play something on track 1 it'll go to ext 1, if you record a clip on track 2 you will only hear it at ext 2 when you play the clip.

The problem with this is that you have to use the master track to do this, but if you need a third output you can just set up another track to use as a substitute master and route everything else to this track to sum them and then set this tracks out to ext 1.

Hope that helps...
MBP 2.4, Live 7, Logic 8, Maschine, Audio 2 DJ, Sennheiser HD 25 1 II, M-Audio Fasttrack Pro, Komplete 6, Novation Nocturn, Alesis Micron, Jap Fender Jaguar, lots of guitar pedals...

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi guys, firstly, thanks for the great replies, some time and effort went into those and i appreciate it!

Secondly, i solved my problem, but it wasn't what i described in my first post anyway, however reading your replies did help :)

The answer is i want monitoring "off", but my live set actually has 16 channels not 2, so things got a bit more complicated as i have shared external outs between quite a few channels.

So thanks guys! :D