8.1.3???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: 8.1.3???

Post by H20nly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:25 am

@ self :lol:

just fired up Live and looked. Oh there they are!!! :P

I blame the foot switch, small icons and distance to DAW. This is obviously some kind of bug. Dennis I need this fixed right away or I may spend a ridiculous amount of time on line bitching about it!!
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

taximouse

Post by taximouse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:36 am

Thank goodness for forums, I love them. I think its a product of my geek past and spending long hours in transit with wifi, troubleshooting the problems I had onstage the night before. Usually I have questions that can't be answered by anyone I know and I find a hint here that will lead me to come up with a solution.

Good point that most peeps don't post on the forums. I had Ableton tell me when I first started reporting problems that I might be the only person using Live the way I do. I've since met several people who use it similarly. People trying to do what I do write to me with their Live issues, and I usually point them to the forums...they're always like "there's an Ableton forum?". So he's probably right.

I can't imagine how else I would use Live, but I came at it probably from a different angle. We probably all think that the way we use it is THE WAY to use it. Lol.
MacBook Pro 2.93 Ghz, early 2009, 4GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
Live 8.1.4
Motu Ultralite + FCB1010 + SooperLooper + cello

twitter: zoecello
http://www.zoekeating.com

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:06 am

Hi Zoe,

Ok, I want to try to duplicate your use case. Can you confirm that this is the scenario that causes the problem:

- record new audio into an Arrangement track, while the loop is enabled, and ensure that your recording loops back on itself at least once.

Further questions:

- are the clicks in the newly recorded file(s)?
- is there any pattern to which tracks are affected? (e.g. only odd numbered tracks, only tracks with certain effects, etc?)
- is this 100% reproducible?
- does it happen both with fades on and off?
- bit depth? sample rate?

Thanks,

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:55 am

+1, Dennis gets a beer.

Actually, that might not be a bad idea. Back when I was a beta-tester for the Emu Command Stations, I kept running into an obscure bug that very people ever would have noticed. As a result, it never seemed to ever get resolved in OS updates.

For me it was a big deal though, so I mailed the E-mu guys some cookies I made with a note attached saying "please fix big x,y,z". Sure enough, bug was fixed with the next OS update a couple weeks later.

Hmm....

taximouse

Post by taximouse » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:22 am

bless you Dennis!
- record new audio into an Arrangement track, while the loop is enabled, and ensure that your recording loops back on itself at least once.
yes, here's a screen capture of the setup. like this:
- are the clicks in the newly recorded file(s)?
yes
-- is there any pattern to which tracks are affected? (e.g. only odd numbered tracks, only tracks with certain effects, etc?)
seems be all of them, just tested. happens with effects on or off (i've got reverb and compression on the master track)
- is this 100% reproducible?
yes, every time
- does it happen both with fades on and off?
I just replicated it again, yes, fades on or off
- bit depth? sample rate?
24/48

THANK YOU!!
MacBook Pro 2.93 Ghz, early 2009, 4GB RAM
OS 10.5.8
Live 8.1.4
Motu Ultralite + FCB1010 + SooperLooper + cello

twitter: zoecello
http://www.zoekeating.com

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:26 am

fwiw, I just tried something prior to seeing zoe's screenshot and dennis' questions. (I'm on windows vista).

Here is what i did

1- Put a clip into session view sending midi note out thru a midi yoke (loopbe30) and set up midi map so this activates the global transport record button. Loopbe30 was set up in preferences as sending midi out thru track and back in as remote.
2- Global loop was active, but punch in/out were not active.
3- Armed the audio input track, and kept it armed.
4- I set the arrangement loop to start after 4 beats, and loop for another 4 beats.

The session "triggering" clip was 4 beats, with the triggering note on the first beat. So when I started the clip, this armed the global record, allowing recording audio, and then when it looped back around to "1" when the arrangment was coming into the global looped region (starting on beat 5) for the first time it disarmed the global record, and then re-armed it repeatedly every other time as the arrangement loop came back around.

Here is what I saw doing simply the above:

Triggering the scene started the transport, and the midi note armed the global record button. But this did not happen instantly, precisely on "1". Because the global transport is running, the triggering MIDI clip is recorded into the arrangement as well as the audio, and because recording did not happen precisely on "1", that arrangment- recorded triggering clip's start marker is behind the triggering note. So what actually happens when the loop in session comes back around, is a multiple triggering, one coming from the reflected clip in arrange, which results in a little tiny wee audio clip followed by the longer 'intended' clip.

(with punch in/out active, you can't see this happening as plainly, because the triggering clip is not reflected in arrangement.)

you might want to try this with punch in/out deactivated, to see if you see the same thing.

[edit] not sure how to work around this, if this is the same problem you are seeing. I'm thinking you'll need to mess with the track latency, but then it is hard to know when "1" is at the very get go.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

PEAVLEY

Post by PEAVLEY » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:28 am

This is the first Ableton live 8 release that actually works for me.Not one crash so far. No "not enough memory issues" either.I'm using the latest Jamstix 3 beta 15 and at last :)

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Hi folks,

Please note that we updated the release candidate today. Links:
Best,

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:18 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:Hi folks,

Please note that we updated the release candidate today. Links:
Best,

Any change log available? :)

atlatnesiti

Post by atlatnesiti » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:30 pm

So now we are in RC mode...
First it was beta 1, 2 ,3 ..,13..
Now it is RC (sounds better ;)) 1, 2 .... etc; etc;
iMac i7 Quad Core 2.8GHz 32GB RAM • OS X.10 • Apogee Duet • NI Kontrol S49 • Maschine Mikro MKII • Cubase 8.5 • Live 9.6 Suite • Logic Pro X • Reason 9 • WaveLab Elements 9 • Various VST's, AU's and hardware synths, etc;

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Not a big deal but "spectrum" is still badly lagging...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:33 pm

housemusiclover wrote:Not a big deal but "spectrum" is still badly lagging...
bump up the refresh rate?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dennis DeSantis

Post by Dennis DeSantis » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:36 pm

Yes, this is a known issue.

Thanks,

housemusiclover

Post by housemusiclover » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
bump up the refresh rate?
Thanks but nope, it's totally independet of the refresh rate.
Only happens when folded out and on mouseover.
Dennis confirmed the behaviour a few days ago (also on nvidia card), someone else didn't have the problem but had an ati card iirc. Not sure...
Anyway, just realized that the newest Voxengo Span also shows freq PLUS note so i don't really care.

edit: again too late :lol:

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:52 pm

nathannn wrote:
LoopStationZebra wrote:Cool. My snap crackle pop has vanished with 8.1.3 when I record new clips.

However,

Crackle still there whenever I change scenes or do anything on the Launchpad that involves the right hand side control buttons. meh.

Wicked crackle when I record into Looper. Interesting thing is that it always happens at the start of the 2nd bar, lol.

FUCK.

:P
i used to get this all the time.... for some reason i always think things like this are due to user error on my part.
i rarely ever question the software. i guess i should come on here and try to see if others are having the same problems as me.
tigali wrote: I only came onto this thread to see if this particular problem had been solved in the latest version. I'm still using 8.1.0 and it's a problem thats really bumming me out. The project I was working on today had this going on and it uses zero 3rd party plugins. The only non-native stuff are some audio clips I recorded in myself, the rest is built in sounds. The problem came and went a couple of times without me doing anything but restarting the program.
HeadrickProductions wrote: I've hard this same problem with the sanp crackle pop on the launchpad. You two are the first time I've seen others talk about it. Everyone else keeps telling me that it is my fault due to how I've had it setup. My apc 40 does not have the same issues.

Thanks for letting me know
Tone Deft wrote:that kind of problem does sound like you're using too small of a buffer size.

After quite a bit of time spent testing and trying stuff, the problem with the Looper crackle is still there. Tried a fresh new template, various buffer sizes from low to super high, etc etc. Nothing worked. The crackle sometimes starts at the 2nd bar as I first wrote, but this past session it would start at the first bar upon playback. Total bummer. Not sure at all what to try now. I'll see if I can drag out Mobius Looper again and give that a go I suppose. Ugg.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x