Buying my first synth help needed

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ttaralli

Buying my first synth help needed

Post by ttaralli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:00 pm

I'm the market to buy my first ever synth. I'm a little new to this so I'm looking to buy something that I can learn on. I've used many soft synths and they are all pretty cool but I' in the market for hardware partly because I'll be performing with it. I recently purchased the novation xiosynth and was really unhappy with the sound of it. The synth sounded really thin and digital.

I'm thinking now I'll go with a monophonic synth that's analog. I'm currently looking at the Dave Smith Evolver and MoPho. Would anyone recommend one of these over another? Is one better for beginners, or do you have another suggestion? Thanks in advance for the help.

T

Radio Arcade

Re: Buying my first synth help needed

Post by Radio Arcade » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:12 pm

i just got a moog little phatty, I would reccomend!

really good for live performace and programming!
Music Makes You Lose KoNtRoL!

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:29 pm

Mopho and evolver are a good choice just get the keyboard versions as you want all the controls... Roland Juno 60 is another good choice but it is not midi but for a $100 it can be...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

loydb

Post by loydb » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:43 pm

You can find the MEK on Craigslist a lot (I know there's one here in Austin for $900 or so). Personally, I'd get the Little Phatty if I was in the market.
MFOS Ultimate Expand-o-tron Build Log: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... 797#308797
MFOS Mini-Controller Build Log [FINISHED!]: http://www.electro-music.com/forum/view ... hp?t=42968

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:58 pm

I've been watching some youtube videos, and the little Phatty looks great. Maybe should save up some more money and buy this this? Any other suggestions before I jump in on a purchase like this?

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:17 pm

A Computer made for learning is Rolands brand new, incredible sounding Gaia SH-01.

I have learned from the Roland SH-201. I really love this instrument.

But the Gaia SH-01, the successor,is better.

crofter

Post by crofter » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:32 pm

Waldorf Blofeld
Core2 quad q660, 4gig ram, Win 7 home premium SP1.
P4 2.8 ghz, Gigabyte GA- 81E2004P, 1.5 gig ram,XP Home, SP3.
dual core pentium laptop 2 gig ram Win 8.
MOTU 8Pre,Tascam FW-1804,Zoom R16, Ableton live 8.4
Cubase 7

8O

Post by 8O » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:37 pm

Does it need to have a built-in keyboard?

My first hardware synth - monophonic, digitally-controlled analogue, great sound, straight-forward (if slow) to program...

...if you like the sound - there's lots of mp3 clips/youtube stuff out there - then I highly recommend it...

ttaralli

Post by ttaralli » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:42 pm

thanks, I'll look into it. Alos, it doesn't need to have a keyboard.

ibdk

Post by ibdk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:44 pm

anything by elektron is great, but could be too digital for some.

I used to have an evolver and liked it a lot, only thing I really didn't like was the stepping on the encoders, but it's a fun box (I had the desktop one). Only reason I got rid of it is I went almost all modular.

I would say try modular synths, but they can get pricey and not as versatile as a good all in one synth in smaller setups.

dum

Post by dum » Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:50 pm

if it's got to be dave smith - I'd go with the evolver keyboard. I haven't used a mopho, I'm sure it sounds dope, but by spec alone I don't think it's as sonically versatile as the evolver.
Which can do amazing digital and analog sounds and everything in between.

My stock response to the ''what should be my first analog synth'' question is usually ''a used sh-101''
great to learn from, sounds immense, and is modifiable... not the kind of synth you'd end up selling but if you did it holds it's value very well. (it's also possible to make a profit)
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:04 am

a used nord micro modular. . great for learning classic synthesis . and cheap on the bay.

vicz

Post by vicz » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:16 pm

Original microKorg (cheap on fleabay) Checkout the youtube vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gp3mQPxw ... re=related

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:20 am

Vibrations wrote:A Computer made for learning is Rolands brand new, incredible sounding Gaia SH-01.

I have learned from the Roland SH-201. I really love this instrument.

But the Gaia SH-01, the successor,is better.
I would hesitate to recommend this synth. It is very new, appears flimsy in build and sound wise.....well, while this is very subjective, you may as well stick with any $50 soft synth (or a host of freebies for that matter)

If you are looking for a bit of gear to learn sound sculpting and the fundamentals of synthesis, any of the old analogue monosynths will do and give the satisfaction of making decent sounds. Of course a lot have no patch memory which you may find frustrating. On top of this, if you aspire to playing chords you will be totally left short.

A few options spring to mind for my part (thinking decent sounding polysynth with a satisfying analogue sound, accessible control functions and not too steep a learning curve) Juno 106, Yamaha AN1X, Novation K station (or X if you want more features), Blofeld keyboard, Akai Miniak (I haven't actually used this but it supposedly has the same engine as the Alesis Micron which IMHO has a great sound)...gives you a range of prices, depth of functionality and varying vintage.....In the end, you need to go out play as many synths as you can until you find one that you love then save your pennies. Best advice I can give, is don't decide based on the opinions you read online...money don't come that easy.

Good Luck
Loving your children, caring for the environment and respecting each being you meet for who they are and not who you think they should be....COOL!!!!!

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:25 am

hi ttaralli

now that ive your attention hear me out :D
my first ever synth was the microkorg. but it wasn't untill i got the nordlead did i start actually learning synthesis properly.
you want a synth which has all the control and parameters in front of you. I have the mopho and it is awesome, sounds better than the nordlead and microkorg but it is a pain to programe and you wont learn much as you have 7 knobs on the front panel altogether.
I would go for the mopho keyboard instead.
although it all depends on how much your willing to spend.

and once you go analogue, you wont go back :wink: