Studio monitor advice

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djsynchro

Re: Studio monitor advice

Post by djsynchro » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:03 pm

I have said it before and I will say it again: XYZ123
Unbeatable!

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:09 pm

djsynchro wrote:I have said it before and I will say it again: XYZ123
Unbeatable!
What about ^% ** 64 's ?
:D

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:17 am

this mate of mine came across a mackie pa speaker for cheap. after he started using the single speaker to reference from(mostly house) his mixes dramatically improved.

just saying it can all be from perspective
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

jamief

Post by jamief » Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:43 am

arctic ranger wrote:this mate of mine came across a mackie pa speaker for cheap. after he started using the single speaker to reference from(mostly house) his mixes dramatically improved.

just saying it can all be from perspective
Thanks,
yes there seems to be a thousand differnt ways to look at monitoring. I,ve had the krk a while now and i have been really happy with them. But i know there is a another few levels that i am looking to climb into so the Genelecs 8030's and the Adam A 7's will give me the best of both worlds for the moment i feel. But Already i,m looking past this at the Event Opals Leeds quiet man pointed out.

The Genelecs and the Adams will allow me to perform at the level i need just now. The amount of positive reviews and expereinces people have had with both them is a good indicator of this for me + i got the feeling i get when i make a good choice about something :D so i go with that a lot

Best
J :)

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:23 am

I seriousely can recommend the Opals,
they are a whole different league compared to the A7s.

I owned A7 with the Sub8 and thought they where great,
but when I got the Opals and A/B ed them I have to admit that
the Opals have a stunning 3D stereo image, wich the Adams don't have at all.

The build quality of the Adams is ridicoulousely bad for their price,
when you use them without the sub you'll hear port noise from the badly designed edged tube.

The Adams are nice for listening, non fatiguing even with crappy produced and badly overcompressed and mastered music.

The Opals not, they are scary true in terms of overcompressing and stereo imaging,
every panning/reverb problem is immediately revealed.
First you'll be scared and think how crap they sound,
but in fact it is the music wich simply is badly digitaly overcompressed to match the loudness war.

And they don't sound boomy like a subwoofer, they sound like small pa monitors, very loud and in your face.

When you use small monitors with a Sub, you'll always have phase problems and
your room threatment will need to be much more perfect then with bigger speakers,
8" speakers will go down to about 35Hz wich is deep enough, going lower only creates more problems in a non perfect environment.

They are heavy, very heavy, so you'll need good stands, and allow them at least one week to burn-in.

When you buy them, you'll get a microphone set and room measurement/calibration device for free, shipping in mai.

My advice, if you can afford them, at least try them.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /