dj question....multiple tempos in one track

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
bertzerk

dj question....multiple tempos in one track

Post by bertzerk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:51 am

what do you do?

like if a track is at 140 and drops to 90....how do you warp this?

i am toying with the idea of splitting the track up based on the bpm parts, warping them accordingly, then using a follow action to launch the change clip when the first clip ends, and have the second clip as the tempo master...

is there an easier way?

leisuremuffin

Re: dj question....multiple tempos in one track

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:15 am

tempo master doesn't work in session view.

it's an interesting problem. I'd just chop it into different clips and only use one of them in my set at a time. however, if i wanted the tempo change, i'd first consider how close to half time the second part is, if it's close, just warp the second part as half time and then you don't have to change the tempo while playing but will still get the feel.

the other option is to split into clips, warp appropriately and use a scene named with the tempo (number followed by bpm) when you launch that scene, the tempo changes.

do you really want a serious, but not half time feel tempo change abruptly in your DJ set? If you can make it work, great, but it's certainly not the most conventional way to go.

personally, when i prepare stuff for DJing, i just take the bits i want to use. usually i have many different clips just for one song so i can access the parts i want, when i want. but i'm the kind of dj that likes to really fuck up my source material, not just play tracks. if your a practiced dj of the track playing variety, you could consider playing the track with the tempo change as an unwarped clip and manually beat match the next track to it when you're ready to mix out. i don't really have those skills, but you might. and perhaps live isn't the best platform for that mode of operation.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:22 am

damn i thought i had it all figured out..

i play alot of dubstep/techno/hip hop, and have a few tracks that switch from dubstep tempos into hip hop tempos and vice versa, and the tracks could be great transitions from one tempo to another, ad they work really good in the track themselves...

i could do the beatmatching thing, but i figure id want a consistent way to do this so i dont have to switch gears on how im playing, you know?

can i maybe just warp it all as one tempo, then draw in a tempo change in the clip itself? is that even doable? i need to dig out the manual. fuck.

anyway,thanks for the input..

also, where in oakland do you stay? im that way too, closer to berkeley...

gave your mix a listen and i dig!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:10 pm

the scret word here is triolic quantisation.. than you can do speed drops of 33%

so 90 bpm and 135 can be matched or used in one session without changing the mastertempo
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

dum

Post by dum » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:10 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:it's an interesting problem.
+1

I think when DJing, how you solve these problems musically and creatively will define you as a dj. Pretty much that's what DJing has always been about.... to me at least
3phase wrote:the scret word here is triolic quantisation.. than you can do speed drops of 33%

so 90 bpm and 135 can be matched or used in one session without changing the mastertempo

interesting, will look into this...

btw bertzerk - if you haven't heard of him check out 'Rob Hall' for a master class in creative DJing. This is a thread linking to a series of mixes he did over a year:
http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=129988
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:15 pm

When possible I control the tempo myself using a knob set up specifically for this application. Of course that doesn't always work out depending on how the track is structured.

Another thing I do is space the warp markers creatively in a way that tricks the program into playing the track how I want it. This also comes in handy for playing outside of the box tunes and interludes that are not the right bpm. I weigh the percentages and get it close by creating the warp markers in a pattern that works.

bertzerk

Post by bertzerk » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:40 pm

i dont have a problem changing tempos when i play between tracks normally, just trying to see how people work with this specific thing.

tracks that change on thier own.
i dont understand this triolic quantisation.....can you explain this further?

i want to figure out how to place the warp markers so i can mix out of the second part of the track in its own tempo is all...

gotta do a bit more thinking about it i guess....

ill-legal?

Post by ill-legal? » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am

I've used these types of tracks when dj'ing via turntables, but I have also had some issues finding a way to utilize them within Ableton. Googled "triolic quantisation" and found nothing useful, aside from this thread, lol.

flippo

Post by flippo » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 am

Do they slowly speed down, or is it a sudden change?

If is a sudden change, might be better having two clips warped at different tempos, and then usuing scenes to change the tempo as you play the next clip.

If they slowly slow down and speed up, I'd recommend warping each beat as close as possible during the change on the clip itself, and then just manually changing lives tempo as you play it to suit - ideally midi mapped to a slider.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:50 am

bertzerk wrote:

can i maybe just warp it all as one tempo, then draw in a tempo change in the clip itself? is that even doable? i need to dig out the manual. fuck.

anyway,thanks for the input..

also, where in oakland do you stay? im that way too, closer to berkeley...

gave your mix a listen and i dig!

no tempo change in clips, unfortunately.

i live in west oakland, near 30th and adeline, but i work in berkeley at rasputin's records, AKA hell.

thanks for the listen, man...

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

ark

Post by ark » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Set the warp markers at the beats and change the tempo, using automation if needed.