Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Pasha
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Pasha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:47 am

My audio card is a stereo line in/out one.
Over the years I have been recording through an hardware mixer
Roland Synth Module, Vocals, Guitar, Bass Guitar.
I always recorded flat (no tone added to the original sound).
All the tone shaping happened as a post recording stuff in Live.
What do you think? Should I tailor the sound in the analog mixer (behringer BTW)
and record it as it is or continue to use the mixer as a mere
input to the audio card?

- Best
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by dum » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:17 am

I'd be very surprised to find out that your behringer mixer isn't already colouring your sound.

at any rate, can't you answer your own question by listening to the results ?
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

Pasha
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Pasha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:45 am

dum wrote:I'd be very surprised to find out that your behringer mixer isn't already colouring your sound.

at any rate, can't you answer your own question by listening to the results ?
I could but my material has already been recorded without adding tones.
However, I wanted to hear about common sense.
Having done my work in the studio several years ago, I remember
engineers tweaking the sound for recording and record it.
Now with DAWs comes a change but we had good records in the past on analog tape.
I wonder if using analog mixer to tailor the sound (remove mid, add bass, add treble)
can restore that 'old sound' even if I'm not on analog tape anymore.
My next work could benefit from common sense practice so I'm asking.

- Thx
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

dum
Posts: 2678
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:51 pm

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by dum » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:54 am

Common sense dictates: User your ears.
Research dictates: Avoid behringer.



good luck.
Pasha wrote:Thanks dum for being so precise.

e.g.:
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 am
Location: Cleona, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by e.g.: » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 am

Honestly, what do people expect when they ask this kind of question?

If it sounds good, do it.

Hermanus
Posts: 1648
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Hermanus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:11 am

dum wrote: Research dictates: Avoid behringer.
For mixers, behringer has a bad reputation

Pasha
Posts: 3238
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:45 pm
Location: Lost Island
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Pasha » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 am

Thanks for reply.
More info:

In the past I had to re record my Bass Guitar because
using the Bass Guitar parametric EQ (Active) I removed
the Mid frequencies to have a round sound with less
scratches on the fretboard. When moved to the mix
the Bass Guitar resulted dull with no soul.
I recorded the track again with EQ Off.
However I might have been wrong that time, because when
playing Bass Guitar live I make my sound starting with
my EQ and then the sound engineer tailors for the ambient.
When we record straight from the mixer the results are good
so that's where my question comes from.

So even if common sense is use your ears,
there must be a generic guideline to know
if recording 'Wet' with EQ or 'direct' with no alteration
changes something and what tips/tricks must be followed.
I guess the posters use to record directly using only the sound card?

I have Behringer Mixer and Behringer Sound card that everybody here told me
it's pure crap. However when I released my first album (see link) people were impressed
by the results. My Behringer experience has been good so far. No broken parts,
low noise, good gain. I know that Behringer is not top star but for those on a
budget, it works I think.... :)

- Best
- Pasha
Apple Desktop / Laptop
Live 9 Suite,Zebra 2.6,Guitar, Bass, VG99, JV1010 and some controllers
______________________________________
Music : http://alonetone.com/pasha

freshdrumma
Posts: 575
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2004 5:33 pm
Location: italy
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by freshdrumma » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 am

the only audio that i send trough a beringher mixer is the click signal that i send to the drummer.

but the cable tester they do is very nice :-)

bicarbone
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue May 09, 2006 6:31 pm
Location: Switzerland
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by bicarbone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 am

Here's what I do personnally:

Record whatever sound as open and beefed up as possible, then you can always cut down unwanted frequencies when you're mixing in your DAW. Trying to boost freqs that have been cut down at the recording stage will give you poor results. It's far more easier to shape a full, rich sound than an skimpy one. My 2 pence...
|soundcloud|

MBP 2.2 GHz i7 quad 10.7.5 8GB ram | Live9suite | Reaper | Metric Halo ULN-2 + DSP | PSI A21-M active monitors | Littlepapercones passive speakers | Studer 169 analog mixer

e.g.:
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:10 am
Location: Cleona, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by e.g.: » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:31 am

Pasha wrote:I guess the posters use to record directly using only the sound card?
Nope, I use plenty of hardware, running through external mixers.

First, (as mentioned by another poster) by the sheer fact that you are using an analog board, you are "coloring" the sound whether or not you use the on-board eq.

Second, your "flat" result could've been caused by many factors.

Finally, there is no "generic guideline" except to use your ears. Some mixers are sought after for their "coloration". Apparently, your Behringer's eq is crap.

Sometimes I use the mixer eq, sometimes I don't. It all depends on how it sounds. I look at it this way: if I can do processing outside of the computer, I'll do it. Let the hardware do as much work as possible and save the CPU for more important things. But only if it sounds good.

gumpbert
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat May 24, 2008 8:56 am

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by gumpbert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Pasha wrote:I have Behringer Mixer and Behringer Sound card that everybody here told me
it's pure crap. However when I released my first album (see link) people were impressed
by the results. My Behringer experience has been good so far. No broken parts,
low noise, good gain. I know that Behringer is not top star but for those on a
budget, it works I think.... :)
Behringer stuff can indeed be both useful and sound amazing:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/gear-sho ... a8000.html

I bought an ADA8000 after having heard that test and I'm very happy with it :)
Mac, Live, Logic, Cubase, Reason, Renoise and a bunch of VSTs

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:07 pm

Pasha wrote:My audio card is a stereo line in/out one.
Over the years I have been recording through an hardware mixer
Roland Synth Module, Vocals, Guitar, Bass Guitar.
I always recorded flat (no tone added to the original sound).
All the tone shaping happened as a post recording stuff in Live.
What do you think? Should I tailor the sound in the analog mixer (behringer BTW)
and record it as it is or continue to use the mixer as a mere
input to the audio card?

- Best
- Pasha
Behringer pre-amps are considered the weak spot of your signal chain.. then yes.. record without them...
ultimately ...do whatever sounds nicer/better to you..
Image

Tone Deft
Posts: 23745
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm
Location: SF, CA

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 pm

bicarbone wrote:Here's what I do personnally:

Record whatever sound as open and beefed up as possible, then you can always cut down unwanted frequencies when you're mixing in your DAW. Trying to boost freqs that have been cut down at the recording stage will give you poor results. It's far more easier to shape a full, rich sound than an skimpy one. My 2 pence...
+1

a cool tip I heard for recording guitar (for example) was to play with the tone pot wide open then do the EQ-ing in the DAW. doing the same with your sounds gives you the most flexibility. I use outboard effects because I don't like having to deal with latency or pops and clicks when I want to play a real time instrument into Live.

a Behringer mixer probably sounds like fine as long as you don't use the EQ and tone knobs, those need to be designed correctly. for straight through pass through it's tough to screw up a simple op-amp in voltage following mode.
"Obsession is a great substitute for talent." - Steve Martin on learning the banjo

Dell Inspiron 15 7000, Live 10.1, Win10 Home, Edirol UA101, APC40, Remote SL, SPD-SX, mic, guitars, JX305, Nova
soundcloud.com/tone-deft

3dot...
Posts: 9996
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:10 pm

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by 3dot... » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote: a Behringer mixer probably sounds like fine as long as you don't use the EQ and tone knobs, those need to be designed correctly. for straight through pass through it's tough to screw up a simple op-amp in voltage following mode.
^^ .. you'd be surprised.. I have a Behringer compressor... it colors the sound when Bypassed...and not in a good way..
got it as a "bonus" when we bought a mixer... needless to say I never ever use it...and can't sell it even for 50$
Image

Hermanus
Posts: 1648
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Location: Belgium

Re: Recording through analog mixer.. color or not the sound?

Post by Hermanus » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:49 pm

And what about the mackie's?

I'm having an eye at the 802-VLZ3, tiny model but seems quite powerful.
Anyone any advice?


Thanks

Post Reply