Live 8.1.3 Release Candidate Crashes all the time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
fisto

Re: Live 8.1.3 Release Candidate Crashes all the time?

Post by fisto » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:48 pm

Dennis DeSantis wrote:
fisto wrote:The biggest problem for me is when it crashes, the most part I have to restart because i can't quit life from the tasklist. It just stays in there which makes a reboot necessary on XP.
This may related to a known issue. Do you have a USB MIDI controller? If so, the next time you crash and can't quit from the tasklist, try disconnecting your controller. Please let me know if the process ends then.

Thanks,
i tried this and it helps a lot, thanks.
At this moment I'm struggeling with an important project, which I can't open anymore. It saye "not enough memory, please save your project and reopen" and sometimes it says "C++ runtime error". And then live shuts down and hangs in the tasklist. There are not that many 3rd party plugs, but around 40 tracks mainly audio. The CPU was not high (about 25%)before the problem occured, maybe track grouping, don't know at all.
I've read once in the forum about a way to make a 8.1-als to open in 8.0.5 but i can't find the thread. There you had to edit the liveversion-number in the als-file itself.

Does anybody know about this thread or method?
That would be so great.

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:17 am

Did you tried to switch off you wireless lan? Regards.
fisto wrote:
Dennis DeSantis wrote:
fisto wrote:The biggest problem for me is when it crashes, the most part I have to restart because i can't quit life from the tasklist. It just stays in there which makes a reboot necessary on XP.
This may related to a known issue. Do you have a USB MIDI controller? If so, the next time you crash and can't quit from the tasklist, try disconnecting your controller. Please let me know if the process ends then.

Thanks,
i tried this and it helps a lot, thanks.
At this moment I'm struggeling with an important project, which I can't open anymore. It saye "not enough memory, please save your project and reopen" and sometimes it says "C++ runtime error". And then live shuts down and hangs in the tasklist. There are not that many 3rd party plugs, but around 40 tracks mainly audio. The CPU was not high (about 25%)before the problem occured, maybe track grouping, don't know at all.
I've read once in the forum about a way to make a 8.1-als to open in 8.0.5 but i can't find the thread. There you had to edit the liveversion-number in the als-file itself.

Does anybody know about this thread or method?
That would be so great.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:13 am

Yes w-lan is off when trying to open this project. Or should i deactivate the w-lan-network card in the hardware-manager? Will try that too, maybe this is it.
Thanks

HeadrickProductions

Post by HeadrickProductions » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:46 am

SubFunk wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:You don't report your bugs, they may not know about it, bug doesn't get fixed. Simple as that.
well, i think this is where it all goes totally wrong with ableton, public beta testing in the state of Live 8 is just WRONG, you can go public beta when you deal with some minor issues left, to iron out the last bits and pieces, but not like with Live 8 which is in such a mess and packed with major, not minor bugs, i really don't understand why on earth they are not creating a closed beta test circle until it can go out to the public, Live 8 is an embarrassment for the company since a year, keep it closed testing it for long enough to be able to go public.

i mean they acknowledged it is a mess, why is it then so hard to go the second step and acknowledge that it is worth it to withdraw it from public (i mean any beta versions now) and go public again when it's ready for doing so...? i believe the damage caused (including the general reputation of the company) is greater keeping the mess open in public, then withdrawing it for awhile and to start fresh over again.

why oh why don't they do that? no they rather turn to many people into unwanted testers, i mean the amount of people i know with severe problems who don't report anything at all is huge, and i do understand that you don't want to do that for an application that is that super expensive, i mean the suite with m4l is about 1000 euros for christ's sake... who on earth wants to be a forced tester for that???

this way they turn love into hate.

p.s. i also don't understand that they claim the majority of LIve 8 users has no problems, when it is a clear lie (or being blind?) when in fact the majority of users has major problems, it is only a fraction that report this (for the mentioned reasons) they should be closer to reality i believe.
+1
In a K induced Haze (the old K kind not the special K kind ), but an Asian spizz can sometimes bring me out! If ya don't get it, ya never will.

Swing like your life depends on it

Sly One

Post by Sly One » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:14 am

fisto wrote:At this moment I'm struggeling with an important project, which I can't open anymore. It saye "not enough memory, please save your project and reopen" and sometimes it says "C++ runtime error". And then live shuts down and hangs in the tasklist. There are not that many 3rd party plugs, but around 40 tracks mainly audio. The CPU was not high (about 25%)before the problem occured, maybe track grouping, don't know at all.
Hi Fisto. I'm having a similar problem in 8.1.1, but with VSTs - it's a nightmare. I added a big ROMpler patch to a project and now it won't reload. The Abes always ask me to replicate the problem without VSTs whenever I report bugs, and VSTs make up 80% of my projects, so I never can, which means my bug reports never seem to go anywhere. *sigh*.

Anyway I managed to work around the problem to restore the project by opening Live empty, going to preferences and disabling VSTs, then loading the project. You get lots of warnings about missing VSTs, but the project eventually loads and you can delete the offending plugin. Then save under a new filename, close the project, re-enable VSTs and reload the project. It's not a fix, but it can save an otherwise lost project allowing you to free up some memory in the project first.

You say there aren't many 3rd-party plugs, but give it a try - it might make the tiny bit of difference and let you fix your project.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:53 am

SubFunk wrote:p.s. i also don't understand that they claim the majority of LIve 8 users has no problems, when it is a clear lie (or being blind?) when in fact the majority of users has major problems, it is only a fraction that report this (for the mentioned reasons) they should be closer to reality i believe.
...how do you know that the majority has major problems with Live? That would require some sort of survey, right? How many licenses sold? Tens of thousands? More? How would one gauge how many have problems?

I would argue that if anyone is "blind" it would be us, the plebes on the forum with nothing to go by than negative forum posts.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:07 am

maybe... i had similar problems and by switching off internet i could start live again...

fisto wrote:Yes w-lan is off when trying to open this project. Or should i deactivate the w-lan-network card in the hardware-manager? Will try that too, maybe this is it.
Thanks

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 am

hoffman2k wrote:
fisto wrote:well it also seems that the bugreports don't help either, Live 8 is one year old already and still in beta-state, that clearly says that bug reports don't do much to improvement of the software. Right? It seems rather that Live8 is getting worse through their efforts to make it stable.
It's just an excuse: "Oh you're not sending bugreports, so don't expect Live to become stable".
People wake up, it's not our job to do that. You release a product when it's finished not when it's half finished or nearly finished, you do it when it's FINISHED.

The biggest problem for me is when it crashes, the most part I have to restart because i can't quit life from the tasklist. It just stays in there which makes a reboot necessary on XP.
Yeah. And what a brilliant excuse on my part it is. I'm not saying Live can't become stable without your help. And I definitely know a thing or two about being stubborn and sticking to the principles of "I bought it, make it work you #@é#&".
Bug reports do help, I know bugs I experienced and reported have been fixed. What more facts do I need?

When is Live finished? Even Live 7 wasn't finished until a few months ago and it still may get some updates which may or may not fix or break things.
Geez, is it so damn hard to send out an email after Live crashed? Its pretty much all you have to do and it decreases the chance that'll it happen in a future update... But no..

i think the key issue here is that we paid a big pile of money for a beta, which is announced as stable. it even has features it was marketed with thats still not available (share, anyone? share + looper was their biggest selling point, and none of them works.). i love live but ableton really have to step up their game. other daws are closing on on the whole session matrix thing and its only a matter of time before someone simply steals half the users if they cant make their software actually work. atleast this quality statement shows that they are going in the right direction. lets just hope they have dropped their wierdass release schedule (cmon, how many other software developers jumps from, say 7.3 to 8 just like that? and wants upgrade moneys for it?) and actually dont jump to 9 until they have finished 8.

Eunjihan

Post by Eunjihan » Wed May 19, 2010 5:34 pm

I have the same problem with not being able to open a file. There are a lot of tracks on it, say 40 maybe and it was crashing a lot, but now I can't even open it. I am only using the EIC that came with Ableton and no external VSTs or plugins. It would crash when I would try and arm a multi mic drum kit and crashed when I armed the brass ensemble track. That is pathetic. I just hope 8.1.4 addresses these issues, if not. I will ask for a refund and get Native Instruments instead. Who needs this bullshit?

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed May 19, 2010 7:06 pm

Eunjihan wrote:I have the same problem with not being able to open a file. There are a lot of tracks on it, say 40 maybe and it was crashing a lot, but now I can't even open it. I am only using the EIC that came with Ableton and no external VSTs or plugins. It would crash when I would try and arm a multi mic drum kit and crashed when I armed the brass ensemble track. That is pathetic. I just hope 8.1.4 addresses these issues, if not. I will ask for a refund and get Native Instruments instead. Who needs this bullshit?
8.1.4 does address the issue of older files not loading. You can download the latest beta from the support section.

Eunjihan

Post by Eunjihan » Thu May 20, 2010 7:42 am

Thanks Hoffman, I will download 8.1.4 now. I just hope it works.

Eunjihan

Post by Eunjihan » Thu May 20, 2010 8:52 am

Well I downloaded the beta version and installed it and opened the problem file and it crashed again. It crashes when it comes to loading 97-99% of the samples. The scary thing is, I uninstalled 8.1.3 and tried to install 8.1.1 and when it was installing I got a blue screen of death.

But that is not Ableton's fault. I tried to defragment my E drive and I got 2 blue screens of death - for only a second or so.

Perhaps I should invest in Windows 7? I am currently using a cracked XP OS and maybe it's beginning to get weird on me?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Thu May 20, 2010 9:00 am

sounds like a faulty drive

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Eunjihan wrote:Well I downloaded the beta version and installed it and opened the problem file and it crashed again. It crashes when it comes to loading 97-99% of the samples. The scary thing is, I uninstalled 8.1.3 and tried to install 8.1.1 and when it was installing I got a blue screen of death.

But that is not Ableton's fault. I tried to defragment my E drive and I got 2 blue screens of death - for only a second or so.

Perhaps I should invest in Windows 7? I am currently using a cracked XP OS and maybe it's beginning to get weird on me?
After it crashed, it created a pack. Be sure to send that one to Ableton, regardless of your OS situation. If it shows them the issues with Live or the OS, they got yet another scenario to run tests with.

In regards to issues with samples, Instead of opening the project. Try right-clicking it from Live's browser to manage it. If it doesn't crash, it may show the defective samples (if any).

cotdagoo

Post by cotdagoo » Thu May 20, 2010 1:11 pm

3dot... wrote:sounds like a faulty drive
or possibly ram?

www.memtest86.com