Other than the session view wat makes live a performing prog

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tweaking Knobs

Other than the session view wat makes live a performing prog

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:36 pm

I mean , abes should do more tools for performing,

other than the session view what other tools are there for us to perform ?

For example , we dont have tempo synced triggering of events , like real time quntization for when we press a on off button , or even automatic sync for tracks ala traktor , we have to mannualy warp them , and this is time consuming and not perfect.

So , do you think the abes should work more on performing tools?

yes looper is to perform but is not innovative , for example what performing capabilities does drum rack have ? or effect racks ? of course we can tweak them on stage but there is nothing new in terms of performing , like knobs that reset to a default value after a certain condition is met. or some kind of advanced performing features.

Haters please keep your thoughts 8O

leisuremuffin

Re: Other than the session view wat makes live a performing prog

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:23 am

uhm, lets see, instrument and effect racks for one. the ability to group effect or instrument parameters to macros is huge. this is one of the strongest tools for performance available. you can set up banks of effects that can be easily changed and controlled from any controller. i have a simple "foot switch" (old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off) and expression pedal that is an extremely useful guitar rig. i also use it for effects on clips or midi tracks when i'm not in guitar mode.

live is the most powerful performance app available. If there's something better, please let me know, i'm not opposed to switching. what is it you want, anyway?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

gjm

Post by gjm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:39 am

leisuremuffin wrote: i have a simple "foot switch" (old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off) and expression pedal that is an extremely useful guitar rig.

.lm.
Care to share what pedal and how you have it set up. I also have a DIY qwerty foot controller and am always looking for ideas on integration in Live.

Cheers. G.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

hennessey

Post by hennessey » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:what other tools are there for us to perform ?
EXTENSIVE MIDI mapping.
Tweaking Knobs wrote:So , do you think the abes should work more on performing tools?
well of coarse.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:11 am

gjm wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote: i have a simple "foot switch" (old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off) and expression pedal that is an extremely useful guitar rig.

.lm.
Care to share what pedal and how you have it set up. I also have a DIY qwerty foot controller and am always looking for ideas on integration in Live.

Cheers. G.
well its always evolving but really pretty simple. keyboard just turns individual effects in rack on and off like stomp box. pedal is mapped to macro that controls all effects in rack. actually, not pedal, but eyris light controller. feel like dork for saying so though.

.lm.

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:49 am

leisuremuffin wrote:uhm, lets see, instrument and effect racks for one. the ability to group effect or instrument parameters to macros is huge. this is one of the strongest tools for performance available. you can set up banks of effects that can be easily changed and controlled from any controller. i have a simple "foot switch" (old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off) and expression pedal that is an extremely useful guitar rig. i also use it for effects on clips or midi tracks when i'm not in guitar mode.

live is the most powerful performance app available. If there's something better, please let me know, i'm not opposed to switching. what is it you want, anyway?

.lm.
yes , but in the end all you are doing is tweaking a knob , yes this knob may move many parameters at once , but the behabiour of that macro knob is no different that a analog moog knob, it just makes the effect dry or wet.

the knob doenst have any "intelligent" or predifined conditioned behabiour. like for example reset to default when certain condition is met , whether this condidtion is the getting to the next bar or pressing a button or anything else you need in a specific setup.

even with macros you cannot even define the type of curve , or if there is a treshhold for the effect to be turned on/off or some controlled randomness.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:27 pm

Isn't this where M4l comes in?

I have seen a video demo of someone using an pac40 where there parameter is tweaked on a knob and the knob returns to zero state quantized to the next bar start. Pretty cool to look at and very useful.

however, the thigns you describe i am sure can be done with M4l already. I don't have it myself so may stand corrected but if you want thigns to go and off or parameters to return to certain states at certain times, I would think this can already be done with tools that teh abes already have on offer no?

Tweaking Knobs

Post by Tweaking Knobs » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:49 pm

yep but i think a program like
"LIVE" should have them built in no ?

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:06 pm

I agree.

But the answer, as had been thrashed around a few times, is to give those of us who don't want to piss about programming a max4live runtime environment.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:37 pm

old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off
Ha! So brilliant. I have been overthinking this problem for YEARS and now I see how easily that would work. Wireless even, and cheap! Not very durable, but then, who cares! Thanks. :)

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:43 am

Tweaking Knobs wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:uhm, lets see, instrument and effect racks for one. the ability to group effect or instrument parameters to macros is huge. this is one of the strongest tools for performance available. you can set up banks of effects that can be easily changed and controlled from any controller. i have a simple "foot switch" (old qwerty keyboard with most of the caps torn off) and expression pedal that is an extremely useful guitar rig. i also use it for effects on clips or midi tracks when i'm not in guitar mode.

.lm.
yes , but in the end all you are doing is tweaking a knob , yes this knob may move many parameters at once , but the behabiour of that macro knob is no different that a analog moog knob, it just makes the effect dry or wet.

the knob doenst have any "intelligent" or predifined conditioned behabiour. like for example reset to default when certain condition is met , whether this condidtion is the getting to the next bar or pressing a button or anything else you need in a specific setup.

even with macros you cannot even define the type of curve , or if there is a treshhold for the effect to be turned on/off or some controlled randomness.
you obviously haven't used racks or fucked around with midi mapping that much. yes you can determine a threshold for an effect being turned on or off. no it's not the same as just turning a knob on an analogue synth. it is all about being performance based when i can have one controller set up to control a huge bank of shit. just because you lack imagination doesn't mean that the effect or instrument racks plus midi mapping aren't a huge for performance. problem is you actually have to do some work to set it up to be your instrument, it doesn't come like that out of the box. for those of us who have been making electronic music for a long time this is nothing new. go ahead and slag off live, but there isn't anything better as far as a software solution goes, and if you can perform with it, it has way more to do with you than it does with the program.

and m4l is just going to make the ability to customize control even more deep. I haven't bought it yet because i'm waiting for the abes to iron some shit out first, but i'm very excited about it.

.lm.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:48 am

quick example of how great this shit is for performance ---> in my dj template set, i have an effect on a return that i control with one slider. as i turn the slider up, it increases the feedback to a reverb channel, then at a certain point it turns on the reverbs freeze button, as i turn the slider up further it turns on an auto pan that chops up the frozen reverb and increases the rate of the chop as i turn the slider up. that is pretty great for one slider control of an effect. oh well, good luck figuring out how to do it. you'll probably just get bored and try to buy a solution to your problem before you get there...

.lm.

dancing Ray

Post by dancing Ray » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:35 am

leisuremuffin wrote:quick example of how great this shit is for performance ---> in my dj template set, i have an effect on a return that i control with one slider. as i turn the slider up, it increases the feedback to a reverb channel, then at a certain point it turns on the reverbs freeze button, as i turn the slider up further it turns on an auto pan that chops up the frozen reverb and increases the rate of the chop as i turn the slider up. that is pretty great for one slider control of an effect. oh well, good luck figuring out how to do it. you'll probably just get bored and try to buy a solution to your problem before you get there...

.lm.
but you can only assign the rate over the whole range of the knob, from 0-127, right?
it´s not possible to map the whole rate range (from slow to fast) to the knob range from 80-127.
when you reach the point when the autopan chimes in it is already middle fast and goes up to fast.
:(
Spiralgroove wrote:a little quantization never hurt nobody

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:08 pm

Right, it's not a 100% perfect solution at this point, however i got exactly what i wanted by limiting the range in the mapping. and frankly, there isn't any other software out there that lets you do this better right now. ...and with the addition of m4l we'll be able to do that +way more.

.lm.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:30 pm

Tweaking Knobs wrote:

I'm still not clear exactly what you are after. Other than you don't want to tweak knobs. lol. I'm going to have to refer you to Tom Cosm's video tutorials. Awesomeness. For instance, this link will show you how you can greatly expanded Looper's functionality. The IAC driver (or Windows equivalent) is very powerful for doing cool shit. I'd check out Cosm's other tuts as well.
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x