How do you feel about a sub in your monitor system?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tlennon

Re: How do you feel about a sub in your monitor system?

Post by tlennon » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:29 pm

Yes and ALSO MP3. I still burn CD for home stereo, car, and boombox.
Terrence Lennon

stonee

Post by stonee » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:42 pm

i recently got a sub for my studio, and my production quality almost doubled. I never bothered with sub basses because I couldn't really hear much below 150. the sub was the best investment i have made in music gear.

i would go as far as saying you shouldn't mix without a sub.

BUT

you want to contol the level of it. despite having a fairly big 150 watt sub, the volume coming out of it is minimal. with my setup, you don't really hear the sub working, but if you turn it off, something just sounds missing. you really only need it loud enough to hear those frequencies your monitors are mixing.

the other thing I find is having a good sub with a crossover lets my monitors work better in the range that they're comfortable working in, so it gave my system an overall boost in quality sound.

as for distracting neighbors, I can mix at a lower volume now because I don't have to push my monitors so loud so I can hear the lower frequencies.

e.g.:

Post by e.g.: » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:51 pm

Good points. So, it seems like we're a buncha sub lovers.

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:27 pm

I wonder if the new sub from genelecs 6010 would cut with my 8020 in small rooms... i find the 7050 overkill for my office.

anyone?
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:07 pm

e.g.: wrote:Good points. So, it seems like we're a buncha sub lovers.
To add to this though, I almost always have the dammed thing turned to about 2, otherwise it overpowers the Rubicon 5a's
My thing with it is really about making sure I don't fry my monitors to a degree, as I use the monitors to compose, and I tend to be loud during that part of the process.

e.g.:

Post by e.g.: » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:19 pm

Now that we're one big happy sub usin family, I'll pose another question: Does size matter?

tlennon

Post by tlennon » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:58 pm

I think that depends on your space's size and dimensions. Are you talking about size of cabinet speaker or number of watts? Another question is, "how low do you go" ..... frequency range?
Terrence Lennon

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:03 am

SubQ wrote:I wonder if the new sub from genelecs 6010 would cut with my 8020 in small rooms... i find the 7050 overkill for my office.

anyone?
No it wont. It is like putting bicycle wheel on a car. 6010 (sub too) are not monitors, just luxury (pricewise) computer speakers.

rosti

Post by rosti » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:24 am

SubQ wrote:I wonder if the new sub from genelecs 6010 would cut with my 8020 in small rooms... i find the 7050 overkill for my office.

anyone?
If i remember right the 5040 is designed to work with 6010 and 8020 models. Though its not as powerful as the bigger models i think its still quite accurate. I have listened it with the 6010 in couple of shops and it dont sound like you've added a sub, it just extends the frequency responce smoothly. I cant say if the 6010 + 5040 system is "any good" for music making becouse i'm not an audio pro, but for my ears they sounded like.. well genelecs. (A and B with 8020, 8030 and 8040 with and without subs)

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:50 am

Hi

I had the Yamaha's HS80s for a time witout the sub and i had so many problems to get the bassline to set right where i wanted him.

I realized that working witout a sub in the studio is like walking in the dark with sunglasses on!

Now i got my HS10 sub and i am so happy with it and i would never live without again.

The sub is so important if you want to hear whats going on in the bottom of your mixes.

My mixes are 100% better now and its a much more fun in the studio....Go for the sub without it you just fooling yourself!

Kind Regards
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

smaucher

Post by smaucher » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:55 am

you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

e.g.:

Post by e.g.: » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:06 am

I'll take two please.

kechambe

Post by kechambe » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:46 pm

I just added a Mackie HR120 to my studio yesterday. I have no idea how I made music without it. The difference is stunning.

Get a sub.
Keith

dave999z

Post by dave999z » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:50 am

Tone Deft wrote:e.g. - I think I get you.

AFAIK the NS10s became classics because they have a predictable sound and a lot of engineers used them as grot boxes. if something sounds good on them it'll sound good in a lot of places. the yellow cones also helped them become more and more popular, so they became a standard reference. it probably could have been any number of mediocre monitors that became the standard but the NS10s got lucky. or so I've read on the interweb.
I thought they became standard because Yamaha gave them away for free.

Isturite-

Post by Isturite- » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:41 pm

[quote="xzusa8ky"
I realized that working witout a sub in the studio is like walking in the dark with sunglasses on! [/quote]

Agreed! I don't have a sub, just some crappy m-audio monitors (the cheap ones) that i don't think will go much lower than 70 hz... i made a song that sounded really good on those.... but in my car or on my friends system, it's all bass... can't really hear the song... you NEED a sub if you are making dubstep

if you are curious what i mean, and you have a sub, listen to my song in my link, it's called mortality.... without a sub it sounds good though
Kevin Welch
[Isturite]

http://www.soundcloud.com/isturite