OT: Favorite Foreign "guilty pleasures" ... foodwi

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:21 am

hey riiiiikhyyyyyy!!!!
yeah, cool man, i'm going straight to the indian grocery down the corner to get all your stuff. i'll let you know what happened and if this reminded me sweet memories of india!
just one point, about the quantity of water and milk, roughly, is it like 1/2 of each?

i think we're going soon to get some "cooks and chefs wankers post your crap elsewhere, this is not a cooking forum". :)

by the way, you can check my track "cookin'" on my website, done 80% with the sounds of my kitchen (well, obviously my Rhodes isn't in my kitchen).

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:15 pm

You can add the milk at the end, dont have to boil it. Though 1,5% might be healthier but more fat better the taste. I north India they use buffalo milk which gives the very special taste but it makes me sick, and do not like the taste.
I am not posting "pm" as I believe it is really usefull studio tool. Tea drinking is a part of musicians lifestyle in India, that is how I got hooked to it. It is not that different then anwhere else, you are paid for waiting, hardly for playing. Lots of great ideas and solutions come up on the chai breaks.

special ed

Post by special ed » Wed Nov 10, 2004 1:49 pm

mango lassi rocks, thai ice tea kicks ass to.

pax

Post by pax » Wed Nov 10, 2004 6:14 pm

From Argentina I miss Mate...

You can buy mate here in the states, but drinking it by yourself just isn't the same... The whole social thing of passing it around makes it fun (and addictive)

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Thu Nov 11, 2004 2:47 pm

Meffy wrote:Where I live I can get good Southern barbecue of many kinds. [edit: it's one of my favorite foods!] But I can't get a genuine Philly cheesesteak -- there's only one city where you can do that.
I live in Philadelphia and have done a fair bit of travel around the US for work. I can tell you that everywhere, EVERYWHERE I go, there is a Philly Cheesesteak on the menu. And while some of them may be perfectly good "steak sandwiches" in their own right, they ain't Philly Cheesesteaks, so why yous guys gotta call 'em that?

Although I have heard tale of a place in Chicago that actually flys all the ingredients in from Philly every day. Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard it's "close".

Oh, and I'm with you on the barbecue too - Memphis Style. We can actually get that pretty well in Philly. A lot of Philly folk have roots in the South.
Meffy wrote:(Does Philadelphia count as foreign to a Southerner? :-D)
Have you read the "Fu%k the South" thread?

-- T. G. --

phill

Post by phill » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:42 pm

Well as a misplaced Kiwi (Living in Portland Or. U.S.), there are gobs of things I miss. Some I can get, others.... no way.

Marmite - You can get it here but damn its expensive! I am yet to meet an American yet who likes it, which leads me to conclude only foreigners buy it.

Jaffas - Mmmm Candy of the Gods. also well known for disturbing the peace at strategic points in the movies by tipping the entire box out onto the sloping wooden uncarpeted floor of the theatre. or even better... one at a time. :D

Minties - Yeah watchout for those fillings tho, that candy can suck the fillings right out of your head and crack the strongest of teeth, but dem iz good stuff.

Real Fish and Chips - My dream about whenever I go home to Christchurch is to go hit up the Wairakei Rd Fish and Chip Shop for a good feed of REAL Fish and Chips, nothing better than a good deep fried Sole Fillet, Battered Hotdog & Pineapple ring and a scoop of GOOD chips!

A Stevies - If you are a kiwi especially if you are from Christchurch you know all about the famous or infamous Stevenson Square pie. They had an affectionate name of the "Stevies Maggot Pack" as a kid (health quality was not alway what it should have been in the Stevies factory. A little later in life these served as the staple Sunday morning pick me up after a hard night night knocking the froth off a few too many, A trip down to the corner dairy (Quickie Mart / 711) for a Stevies and a Big Banana Zip (Banana Flavoured Milk) was a perfect way to start the day.

Also Cannot Forget Lemon and Paeroa (pron. Pie-row-wa) The one and only Softdrink on the planet that can turn Jack Daniels into total Liquid Velvet. The finest softdrink known to man, available only in good ol 'Nu-Zillind'

Phil

scotty

Post by scotty » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:40 pm

hmmm...
While visiting Mexico's yucatan peninsula we fell for their "michelada"... a tasty beer concoction in a salt-rimmed glass.
I included a recipe (off the net) at the end of my post.

Food wise... My wife introduced me to these chocolate covered wafers from Australia, "Tim-tams" (?). They are kind of stick-like and the coolest way to eat them is to bite the ends off and then use them like straws to sip coffee. The cookie inside absorbs the coffee and the chocolate gets all melty... as soon as you feel the tim-tam start to collapse internally, pop it in your mouth... super f-ing YUM!

-scotty

Michelada recipe
12 oz Beer
Juice of 1 Lemons
2 dashes Worcestershire Sauce
1 dash Soy Sauce
1 dash Tabasco Sauce
1 pinch Black Peppers
Salt

Method
Mix ingredients in a tall high glass with lots of ice. Add beer, mix, and serve.