so whats ur preferred method for finding that right kick?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
smaucher

Re: so whats ur preferred method for finding that right kick?

Post by smaucher » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:24 am

ah. very good! thanks!
Last edited by smaucher on Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you start bleeding - I start sceaming
propaganda 1985

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:44 am

logic_user99 wrote:I go into Live, type in...

...and win comes out!
+1

808 still has the win after all these years

and the 909 isn't far behind, with the occasional smattering of 707

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:42 am

alex.the.forge wrote: +1

Sweet. I think I've got a full set of 606 samples somewhere. They're awesomely grubby IIRC.
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:52 am

logic_user99 wrote:
alex.the.forge wrote: +1

Sweet. I think I've got a full set of 606 samples somewhere. They're awesomely grubby IIRC.
Perfectly happy with the Ableton renditions me.

octopod

Post by octopod » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:16 pm

I've been having fun with this tip http://www.heatercore.net/2010/02/only-the-best.html (You may need to read some of the earlier ones for context)

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:53 pm

Nice tip about compression.

About 808, I use Drumatic.3 from e-phonic.
I always pick the 808 soundpack and the kick envelope is very tweakable.

The other day I had a long decay kick to enhance the usual one previously used in the project.

I added a compressor to it and finally it sounds like a good grainy kick.
I will try the parallel tip over it to make brighter

Sorry about drumatic I think it's windows only :(

chis

Post by chis » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:12 pm

Obsessing this much over a drum sound is one of the reasons so much electronic music sucks nowadays. Too much emphasis on production, not enough on composition.

d-track

Post by d-track » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:40 pm

chis wrote:Obsessing this much over a drum sound is one of the reasons so much electronic music sucks nowadays. Too much emphasis on production, not enough on composition.
thank you..

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:54 pm

you can actually layer kicks in a way that they sounds on ALL octaves, that can be very powerful. I go ahead with a random kick and place the details when the mix is finished. the click of the kick, I have learned, should be in the range of 5000-8000 hz, that way its less likely to collide with other instruments. for the click I take another kick or and pitch it up, or I use some hihat-attack.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 am

Two looooovely soft comps for new york compression:

1) Stillwell audios Rocket compressor, engage the 'auto' and 'decadent' buttons and crush that kick before beldnign it back in to the original. nasty.

2) Audio Damage Rough Rider, was hearing this badboy over the weekend. double nasty.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:46 pm

nowtime wrote:
mholloway wrote: @mholloway: it seems like your creepy doll picture/signature has changed your life, too? pulllllleeeze already! :roll:

Uh, are you rolling eyes that I tend to write/post with a high level of hyperbole, or because you think creepy doll pics in signatures are in bad taste? I don't get it.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:49 pm

chis wrote:Obsessing this much over a drum sound is one of the reasons so much electronic music sucks nowadays. Too much emphasis on production, not enough on composition.
Um. Obsessing over idiosyncratic details is part of what I love about electronic music production. It wouldn't be what it is if not for our ability to fine-tune and re-work literally every aspect of everything in our palette of sound. If you want to just get high and jam with your friends with no concern for fidelity, by all means, do so. (yeah that's a cheapshot, I know). But I think you're needlessly criticizing an element of the creative process that can be integral and essential to this genre/medium. If you don't want to obsess over such things, don't! Meanwhile I got kicks to layer and tweak.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:55 pm

outershpongolia wrote:
You compress the signal, and mix it back in with the original signal.. so basically the idea is that you still get the dynamics of the regular signal, with the added punch and chunkiness of the compressed signal.. It's a perfect setup for me becasue I can map out the send amount for my channels so I can control how much of the compressed signal is coming thru on top of the normal one..

I used 'signal' too many times in one sentence.

If anyone has anything to add go ahead, I may have worded it a little strange but it should get the point across.
He's covered it fine, except I'll add that I also stick an EQ8 in the return track after the compressor, and give it a "smile" curve so low and highs are unchanged but all the mids get "dipped" out, because too much mids with drums will sound pretty awful. (afaik this kind of EQ use with parrallel compression is pretty much standard...)

-M

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:30 pm

Loving the parallel compression tips! I keep forgetting NYC.

re: obsessing over the kick....all things in moderation, I say. I love me a perfect sounding kick on a soundsystem, and I do think production is part of composition, not a separate entity, nowadays. The kick and bass are probably the most important aspects of a production in terms of affecting the sound of everything else (at least in EDM). That being said, if I get caught up picking/making a kick/bass synth for longer than a couple of hours I move on.

cacti

Post by cacti » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:33 am

I believe there's a preset for this called 'Brooklyn Compression' under Audio Effects > Drum Processing

can someone confirm that this macro is for parallel comression?