What does out of memory or not enough memory mean?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
digimixa

Re: What does out of memory or not enough memory mean?

Post by digimixa » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:51 pm

Running 8.1.1 on Vista 32 (3Gb RAM) with fully up to date drivers and service packs ect. Getting the not enough memory error as soon as a particular live set opens, can't do anything with it. If I try and freeze some channels it crashes, if I try and save individual channels then it crashes. The error message says to save the set, if I try to save the set, the same error message just appears. The Vista resource monitor shows that Live is using 1.5Gb of RAM, leaving 1.5Gb remaining. Other running services and tasks don't use anywhere near 1.5Gb so lack of memory doesn't seem to be the problem and anyway, surely this is the kind of situation when virtual memory should kick in so that at least a set can be worked on so that parts can be frozen/flattened ect? The way it is now I can't work on this particular set at all.
'Offworld' Chillout EP Released 25 October 2011 on Mindlifting Records

Frequency Storm Music

Cej

Post by Cej » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:54 pm

Ableton's bug report replied with:
"It's possible that this set requires a huge amount of memory which exceeds Live's memory limit (2-3 GB on Windows and 4 GB on MacOS)"

Worked this out just as they replied - my page file was pushing 1.89GB, as soon as I tried doing something, it would crash.

digimixa wrote:The way it is now I can't work on this particular set at all.
I did manage to get around my situation,

- switched off background resources (e.g.virus protection)
- opened new Live set
- used the show/hide browser on the left hand side to search hard drive
- opened set from there by double clicking
- went through each track (mainly in the drum racks) and got rid of the instruments not needed
- saved new live set as....

Voila!
...and now I continue to work on that same live set (and have learned to watch my memory usage as well as CPU)

hope it works for you too

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'll try what you suggest. :D

Frequency Storm Music

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:12 am

I can never believe people leave their Windows XP window bars to that horrible blue standard colour. Fugly! Takes 10 seconds to change it to silver. Also makes me wonder what other tweaks they didn't do. (nothing?)

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Cej wrote: I did manage to get around my situation,

- opened new Live set
- went through each track (mainly in the drum racks) and got rid of the instruments not needed

Voila!
...and now I continue to work on that same live set (and have learned to watch my memory usage as well as CPU)

I found that deleting just one synth channel resulted in enough free memory to work on the set so it's definitely a memory issue.
I'll know in future to keep a check on the amount of ram that Live uses so that I don't get into this situation again.
I suppose the only thing that would fix this in the future is a 64bit version of Live.

Frequency Storm Music

fisto

Post by fisto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:35 am

Cej wrote:Ableton's bug report replied with:
"It's possible that this set requires a huge amount of memory which exceeds Live's memory limit (2-3 GB on Windows and 4 GB on MacOS)"

Worked this out just as they replied - my page file was pushing 1.89GB, as soon as I tried doing something, it would crash.

digimixa wrote:The way it is now I can't work on this particular set at all.
I did manage to get around my situation,

- opened new Live set

Voila!

I had that problem too, but i think it's not because the plugins in there. I had a big live-set mainly arranging a tune with 2700 clips (happens when editing :)), and live could not handle the high clip count.
How i solved this:
1. turn off vst plugins in the prefs
2. consolidate the clips so that every track is one big clip
3. save under new name
4. turn plugins on again
5. work on your set as usual
6. worked very fine for me

I then enden up with 140 clips instead of 2700

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:10 am

fisto wrote: I had that problem too, but i think it's not because the plugins in there. I had a big live-set mainly arranging a tune with 2700 clips (happens when editing :)), and live could not handle the high clip count.
How i solved this:
3. save under new name
4. turn plugins on again

fisto,
I'm interested to know the difference this made to your Page File Usage.

2700 clips 8O :lol:

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:00 pm

djsynchro wrote:I can never believe people leave their Windows XP window bars to that horrible blue standard colour. Fugly! Takes 10 seconds to change it to silver. Also makes me wonder what other tweaks they didn't do. (nothing?)
SIlver? that shit looks terrible......opinions....don't you love em?

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:33 pm

It does appear that this problem is fixed in 8.1.3. I've managed to push my problem set further by adding more synths without the error messages appearing.

Frequency Storm Music

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:07 pm

digimixa wrote:It does appear that this problem is fixed in 8.1.3. I've managed to push my problem set further by adding more synths without the error messages appearing.
This problem has not been fixed.

This is Lives' lack of ability to use virtual memory. Maybe your issue was different.

fisto

Post by fisto » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:10 pm

Sibanger wrote:
fisto wrote: I had that problem too, but i think it's not because the plugins in there. I had a big live-set mainly arranging a tune with 2700 clips (happens when editing :)), and live could not handle the high clip count.
How i solved this:
3. save under new name
4. turn plugins on again

fisto,
I'm interested to know the difference this made to your Page File Usage.

I wasnt looking at the pagefile, i've set it to 1024mb fixed size. The interesting thing is that this liveset was using 900 mb of RAM, so there was enough memory left for live on my 3gb machine. Must be a live-thing which could not handle the high clip amount with all the data for them. But as digimixa said, it seems to be fixed in 8.1.3. Im still on 8.1 and 8.0.9, still a little afraid of updating. Do you guys recommend 8.1.3?

2700 clips 8O :lol:

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:32 pm

^^
fisto,

I'd always use the latest version.

If youre a bit paranoid, try it on copies of your sets and see if it works out for you. (so you could always go back to 8.0.9 )

Just to clarify fisto, were you talking midi clips or audio clips?

Re memory issues in Live-
Cej wrote:

Can't see this issue going away until Live goes 64 bit.

fisto

Post by fisto » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:09 am

Sibanger wrote:^^
fisto,

I'd always use the latest version.

If youre a bit paranoid, try it on copies of your sets and see if it works out for you. (so you could always go back to 8.0.9 )

Just to clarify fisto, were you talking midi clips or audio clips?

Re memory issues in Live-
Cej wrote:

Can't see this issue going away until Live goes 64 bit.
thanks for the tip. in my case it were mainly audioclips with just 2 vst-synths (massive, MS-20), but the ram used only 899 MB out of 3 gig on XP (i know live can use only 2 but still enough headroom)

apyssjw

Post by apyssjw » Thu May 06, 2010 8:27 am

This issue has just affected me since I swapped sets between my two computers. I have a four year old desktop which I've been working with as my main music computer and a 6 month old laptop which is much quicker despite both having 4 gig of ram. Hence the reason why I port sets over from the desktop to the laptop. My use of live on the desktop has been defined by bouncing trakcs to audio in separate sets and integrating them into a master set. Though each set wouldn't crash it would just slow down / drop out etc which is preferable to crashing completely. Oh well back to bouncing...

digimixa

Post by digimixa » Thu May 06, 2010 9:37 am

Since switching to 8.1.3 I have no longer had this problem, before I couldn't even work on the problem set.
The way I fixed it was to first delete a synth channel to free up enough memory and then resave the set using 8.1.3. Load the set back in and then you should be able to re-import the deleted channel (from a previously saved set) and continue working (using 8.1.3)...worked for me :D

Frequency Storm Music