Please return Announcements forum

Discussion of music production, audio, equipment and any related topics, either with or without Ableton Live
Post Reply
Koston
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:47 am

Please return Announcements forum

Post by Koston » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Hi,

I would appreciate it very much if Ableton would reintroduce the Announcements section.

I don't visit these forums very often and now it's quite difficult to search for Live
changelogs. Now it's much more difficult to find out, whether or not any given bug has
been fixed and if, when. Perhaps you could link to it from General section or start
separate threads, other for commenting and other for informational purposes?

Cheers,
Koston

madlab
Posts: 1382
Joined: Fri May 02, 2003 6:38 am
Location: France

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by madlab » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:10 pm

+1
Aboard from V. 1
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.12
MBP 2.3 ghz I7 16 Go SSD + HD 10.8.5 iPad2+Mira+Lemur/PadKontrol/BCR2000/ Livid Code+DS1
RME FF UC Live 9.7.7 MFL Max 8 + Max 7.3.5
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

Rave
Posts: 6152
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:26 am

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by Rave » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 pm

-1

I like it in the General section

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:14 pm

Koston wrote:Now it's much more difficult to find out, whether or not any given bug has been fixed and if, when.
it's a coin flip if a feature is fixed for you. the only way to know is to try it yourself.

how does Ableton learn about bugs?
from customer e-mails and their own internal testing.

how goes Ableton know if a bug is fixed?
from customer e-mails. their internal testing doesn't mean jack shit to tell if something is fixed or not.

never let a software company tell you something is fixed, try it yourself and let them know exactly how it's broken on your system.



yeah, just sticky it to the General section.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Koston
Posts: 11
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:47 am

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by Koston » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:03 am

Tone Deft wrote:
Koston wrote:Now it's much more difficult to find out, whether or not any given bug has been fixed and if, when.
it's a coin flip if a feature is fixed for you. the only way to know is to try it yourself.

never let a software company tell you something is fixed, try it yourself and let them know exactly how it's broken on your system.
I've been in software development business for a decade and in my book, beta-testing is something you hire people and pay salary for. If Ableton wants me to be their tester, they can hand over binaries with debug symbols and access to bug tracking system.

Meanwhile, I can appreciate having easy access to version changelog history.

Tone Deft
Posts: 24154
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 5:19 pm

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm

Koston wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:
Koston wrote:Now it's much more difficult to find out, whether or not any given bug has been fixed and if, when.
it's a coin flip if a feature is fixed for you. the only way to know is to try it yourself.

never let a software company tell you something is fixed, try it yourself and let them know exactly how it's broken on your system.
I've been in software development business for a decade and in my book, beta-testing is something you hire people and pay salary for. If Ableton wants me to be their tester, they can hand over binaries with debug symbols and access to bug tracking system.

Meanwhile, I can appreciate having easy access to version changelog history.
I hear ya, I've 37 and have been a hardware engineer for 13 years along with some software. I've had these discussions with my software cohorts at work and for the last year been discussing this very same topic on this forum regarding Ableton Live.

people don't like this but Ableton have literally asked that users be beta testers for 8.1, things are that out of hand. the users are a bug rich resource, far better than paid testers. they've never done this before but these are 'interesting' times.

I have had very few problems. that's probably because I've been a beta tester for the last 4 versions.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Ed J
Posts: 583
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:42 am

Re: Please return Announcements forum

Post by Ed J » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:36 am

To be honest, using users as a testing medium is practically an accepted practice these days.
Without the ability to hire 1 tester per 2 coders (a luxury afforded by really large companies only), you're not going to catch all the bugs in a piece of very complex software.

Live is a VERY complex piece of software, that does a LOT of stuff and does (most of) it very *very* fast. Props to the Ableton lads for their efforts, and if having such a complex prog with a few bugs lets me play with new features sooner, and keeps Ableton solvent (let's face it, if they did a Netscape a completely re-wrote Live from the ground up, they'd end up like. . . well, Netscape), then I'm happy :)

However, I would agree about the bug tracking system: maybe it'd be nice to have a proper "Report A Bug" form on the site somewhere, kinda like a helpdesk. A lot of companies keep a list of known bugs publically accessible so that all of us numpties get to see how many people are having problem x, and what sort of attention problem x is getting.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Post Reply