How Can I... ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bagginz

How Can I... ?

Post by bagginz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:11 pm

...Import my midi mappings into other Live projects?

So, say I've spent 15 mins setting up all my midi sliders and buttons, tweaking the ranges so that they precisely control all the mixer functions that I want in Live.

Cool.

But is there not a way to save that as a setup and import it into other Live projects?

I mean retroactively, I know about setting up a template in advance. Trouble is I don't have a Time Machine handy...

Like a "Save midi map to Python script" or something? Which I could then import into Live as a Script. Strikes me this is missing in Live

Any boffins know anything that I'm missing?

Or do I have to go through the whole mapping process again on older sets?

Cheers,
bagginz
Last edited by bagginz on Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

myxomat0515

Re: How Can I... ?

Post by myxomat0515 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:13 pm

can't you just strip away the clips/instruments/fx that you don't want and then save that as your template?

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 am

myxomat0515 wrote:can't you just strip away the clips/instruments/fx that you don't want and then save that as your template?
Hmm, I'm not sure you understand what I want to do.

I want to insert my new (complex) midi mapping scheme into existing Live sets and projects that I have already started.

IOW retroactively.

Anyone know of a utility that converts user midi mapping to an "Instant Mappings" preset that I could then insert into the "Control Surfaces" dialogue box in the Midi page?

It would be very handy if it exists

Cheers,
bagginz

oddstep

Post by oddstep » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:04 pm

if you don't have any patience/time for learning for python then the nearest you'll get to what you want is the user config file for midi remote scripting - you're right in thinking that writing your own py file is the fundamental solution. yep export mapping to py script would be totally amazing. as would the provision of the pyc controller scripts as editable python files - so we could all learn more about how to write our own controller scripts.
There's bits and pieces out there. st8 has created a substatial resource over at monome.org and someone... arg can't remember has posted a blog tutorial on how to create your own launchpad style redline clip launcher - with python examples to learn from... but it's time innit..... ideally ableton would share the py files but they don't want to - I've asked :roll: ; so people have to work it out for themselves from bits of decompyled pyc files taken from 7.018, an understanding of python, raw talent and a drive to get it done.
the commercially favoured solution is to buy max for live and then spend time understanding that instead.

andydes

Post by andydes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:31 pm

I've never tried this and I'm at work, but Live lets you drag clips, tracks or whole sets into existing projects.

So you could try saving your new set as a template and delete everything but the mappings. Then drag old sets into the blank template. I seem to remember people complaining that midi mappings aren't saved when you drag parts into a new set, so maybe this will work in your favour.

Worth a go anyway.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:42 pm

andydes wrote:I've never tried this and I'm at work, but Live lets you drag clips, tracks or whole sets into existing projects.
and how do you plan to perform this stunt? especially the "whole set"
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:43 pm

Thanks for the comprehensive reply oddstep, it's appreciated.
oddstep wrote:if you don't have any patience/time for learning for python...
Nail on head.

Not sure I have the inclination either. I'm more a musician than a programmer - which is how I like it.

I believe that for me, Max4Live would also just end up being yet another distraction from the task of creating music.

But I may give M4L another look in a year or so, to see if the boffins have invented some useful devices for it and once it's properly and stably integrated with Live*

Cheers,
bagginz

* which IMO is what all the broken features in 8 have been about - M4L integration.