Synth - Audio Interface - Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ACSLATER92

Synth - Audio Interface - Ableton

Post by ACSLATER92 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:37 pm

so im trying to run the audio from my microkorg to my M-Audio Fast Track pro then into my laptop running ableton.

So i have my synth running an aux cable from its output to the imput of the Fasttrack and then the fast track is plugged into my laptop via usb, the problem is that im getting no audio in ableton. do i need to have a seperate aux cable going into my audio input on my laptop?

either way. how can i get the audio to my laptop from my synth while running it through an audio interface?

thanks

Liam

Re: Synth - Audio Interface - Ableton

Post by Liam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:40 am

This could be caused by a few things such as not having the relevant track in Live toggled for recording for example.

Do you know how to enable 'Record'?

Is the Fast Track a usb audio device? If so, is it enabled in Live's Preferences?

If not then you will need to send the audio cable from fast Track to Live some other way (perhaps the 'onboard' audio if you are using a PC motherboard)

Have you tried to read the Live manual and perhaps check the Tutorials?

When posting include what version of Live you are using and your computer hardware.

Hope this helps.

ACSLATER92

Post by ACSLATER92 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:52 am

okay im using a macbook with ableton live 8.

ive checked the preferences and ive enabled the fast track

i set up the track as an external insturment because thats what i used when i was running the microkorg to the macbook with just an aux cable. now that i have the fast track though, i cant seem to get the audio to work with this external insturment setting

ill also note: before i was plugging the aux from the synths output to the audio input right on my mac, now nothing is plugged into the mac besides the usb from the fast track which has the aux from the synths output plugged into its output.

Liam

Post by Liam » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 am

ACSLATER92 wrote:okay im using a macbook with ableton live 8.

ive checked the preferences and ive enabled the fast track

Have you selected the correct 'Input' in the Live record track? The fast Track should be the source Input (unless you want to 'Resample' everything (audio).

And how are you monitoring your sounds?

Does the Live record track show any input (green audio signal) when you play your synth?

If it does you just need to send the output from Lives Master panel to your external amp, mixer or headphones etc

i set up the track as an external insturment because thats what i used when i was running the microkorg to the macbook with just an aux cable. now that i have the fast track though, i cant seem to get the audio to work with this external insturment setting

ill also note: before i was plugging the aux from the synths output to the audio input right on my mac, now nothing is plugged into the mac besides the usb from the fast track which has the aux from the synths output plugged into its output.

ACSLATER92

Post by ACSLATER92 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:40 am

im monitoring the green levels on the imput its hooked up to, and nothing happening

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:34 am

ACSLATER92 wrote:...the fast track which has the aux from the synths output plugged into its output.
Don't know if it's just a typo, but if you want to get your synth's sound into live, you'll need to plug it into the input on your fast track. The output is for the sound coming out of live ie. going to speakers/headphones or external effects