The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
delicioso

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by delicioso » Mon May 03, 2010 4:43 am

timothyallan wrote:yeah, but i really like that x0x programming mode, but you need to use the internal seq for that, no?
Maschine's step sequencer can control external sources including Live devices and third party plugs, not just Maschine's internal sequencer.

Anand

Post by Anand » Mon May 03, 2010 9:34 am

I am pretty much sold on Maschine after reding the posts here.

How does MAschine compare with Elektron Machine drum- i know they are 2 different pieces of equipment but from a drums programming and sequencing standpoint how would you rate these 2 ?

any suggestions, before I head down to the store and get Maschine?

thanks

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon May 03, 2010 9:36 am

*** Image GAFM ***

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Mon May 03, 2010 7:08 pm

I'm buying one tonight. You guys are worse than the kids that pressured me to smoke behind the shed in high school.

Thanks! 8)
My tunes (triphop/downtempo/beats):
http://www.thenewlaw.com

My podcast:
http://www.senatoradam.com

filterstein

Post by filterstein » Mon May 03, 2010 7:13 pm

Great!
Now let's see how we divide the kickback.

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:27 pm

Tarekith wrote:OK, some questions for all you who can't stop making love to your maschine:

- Everyone keeps saying they're doing everything from the hardware, are you talking about just your drum tracks, or are you using Maschine for everything else too?
Doing everything from the Maschine hardware; all sample recording & editing, sequencing & quantising, and melodic parts. I'm going to be hooking up my LPK25 to play some chords and such (once I have a powered USB hub) but for now, it's the pads all the way. It is a beautiful thing not to have to look at a screen to create sounds; like using the old S2000 (Lovely piece o' kit, that)
- Are you using only the included drum sounds, or your own too? Can you access other sounds from the hardware, or do you have to mouse them in on the computer first?
You have to tell the system where to look for your sample sets, either by adding them as 'favorite folders' or by adding the content to your Maschine library (which I have done with a whole bunch of samples; my breaks folders to start with!). You can then select any sounds - stock or custom - from the 'browse' window on the hardware.
- How are the sounds? I've used Battery 3 before and been impressed with the sounds (stability was another matter), I assume Maschine's are just as good? Too bad they don't include all the Battery samples though, the Maschine sample set is smaller no?
The stock library is pretty damn good, tbh. I too liked the Batter 3 library; aot of the content is carried over. The drum range is smaller (you'ev got tons more instrumets, thought), but I think the actual quality is far better. It's a newer system, innit!
- I assume it's easy to switch between grid programming (x0x style) and real-time overdubbing?
Yes! Literaly one button press from any menu point in the system - 'Step' has it's own button! It's the same for any other ceature in the Maschine system; you can do anythying whilst operating any other feature
- Why the F*** was my name removed from the title of this thread? I mean, seriously, how rude can you be? Everyday I'd come to the forum and see all the man love going on in this thread, and my chest would swell with pride that my name was atop it all. Sigh, the higher you rise, the farther you fall I guess....
"Oh how the mighty have fallen"
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Varoudis

Post by Varoudis » Mon May 03, 2010 7:29 pm

senator adam wrote:I'm buying one tonight. You guys are worse than the kids that pressured me to smoke behind the shed in high school.

Thanks! 8)
+111111111111111

that happened to me too 2 weeks ago! :D :D :D I love my maschine now! :D:D

logic_user99

Post by logic_user99 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:37 pm

Varoudis wrote:
senator adam wrote:I'm buying one tonight. You guys are worse than the kids that pressured me to smoke behind the shed in high school.

Thanks! 8)
+111111111111111

that happened to me too 2 weeks ago! :D :D :D I love my maschine now! :D:D
Me, too. *waves*
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

bynoe

Post by bynoe » Tue May 04, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks! 8)
Bought one this weekend. It really is as good as people have said.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue May 04, 2010 4:57 pm

Bought one from Guitar Center last night. They gave me a $100 less price than it was listed (the guy seemed stoned out of his mind), and it was open box, so I asked for a discount on that. He said the previous owner wiped the serial from his account. So I got it $150 less than it is listed on their website...

Got home and installed and it said the Serial is already in use... Gotta call them back now.

My podcast:

boboter

Post by boboter » Tue May 04, 2010 6:22 pm

Hi all,

I've read through the whole thread and am really interested in the Maschine.
But there is one thing that hasn't been talked about (or at least I couldn't find it):

Is there a way to drag clips from Live into the Maschine?
For example I have a Live set that contains loads sampled vinyl loops from a recording session.
Usually when working in Live I don't save all those individual clips as wav or aiff files but drag them directly from one project to another via Live's file browser.

Also if I'm working in Live and create a loop with loads of fx, I'd like to resample it in Live and drag in into the Maschine to e.g. slice it and play it in a new way.

I used Kontakt recently on a friend's computer and I believe it wasn't possible to drag clips directly into it.
Could I somehow resample the audio out of one track with the internal sampler in Maschine?
Or could I set Maschine's sample editor as an external editor in Live?

This is a crucial part of my workflow since I love to create rhythmic stuff in Live and chop it up into drum racks later on.

Thanks for your help

B
jogging house .... synths, samples, nostalgia & delay.
soundcloud . bandcamp . facebook . vimeo . tumblr

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Tue May 04, 2010 6:33 pm

senator adam wrote:Bought one from Guitar Center last night. They gave me a $100 less price than it was listed (the guy seemed stoned out of his mind), and it was open box, so I asked for a discount on that. He said the previous owner wiped the serial from his account. So I got it $150 less than it is listed on their website...

Got home and installed and it said the Serial is already in use... Gotta call them back now.
another reason why i never step a foot into guitar center.

senator adam

Post by senator adam » Tue May 04, 2010 6:36 pm

Yeah I cringe every time I step in there.. But I wanted to try it hands on without having to ship back to a store if I don't like it.

My podcast:

hoveneverslackin

Post by hoveneverslackin » Tue May 04, 2010 6:38 pm

I want to buy one too from reading this thread.

Whos got the best price?

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Tue May 04, 2010 7:39 pm

boboter wrote:Is there a way to drag clips from Live into the Maschine?
No, not yet, although it has been requested.
boboter wrote:Usually when working in Live I don't save all those individual clips as wav or aiff files but drag them directly from one project to another via Live's file browser.
When you do that it creates a Live Clip which is only helpful to use within Live.
boboter wrote:Could I somehow resample the audio out of one track with the internal sampler in Maschine?
Of course. Maschine's sampling/resampling capabilities are far superior to Live. You can even automate it so that it starts resampling at the top of the next bar, stop recording after the number of bars you specify, in sync with the tempo, so that it makes a clean cut loop, and have it kick in at the top of the next bar, all while the sequencer is playing.