The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
x0b

Re: The Maschine & Ableton Love Thread ;) [upon user request]

Post by x0b » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:32 pm

had my maschine a couple of days, i don't think it's gonna be for me really. i'm experiencing all kinds of sample import related woes, it's so clunky and slow to be able to use your own sounds with this thing (select them on the hardware, not the software).

lukas412

Post by lukas412 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:39 pm

x0b wrote:had my maschine a couple of days, i don't think it's gonna be for me really. i'm experiencing all kinds of sample import related woes, it's so clunky and slow to be able to use your own sounds with this thing (select them on the hardware, not the software).
You're doing it wrong. Take your time. Tag your samples. It's great.

Luke

starving student

Post by starving student » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:20 pm

actually it's very fast, and although there can always be improvement it's got a leg up on any competition at the moment, for instance I'd prefer audition in place on the hardware instead of audition in use, but then there is already audition in place on the software but who wants to use the software when you're using maschine :P

martin808

Post by martin808 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 am

I've had my machine only a few days as well. I really like it and the workflow. I just wish i could sit and jam away, changing patterns, muting and soloing, changing parameters etc. and be able to record these events. either in ableton or in maschine, kind of like recording your set in live from session in to arrangement. I know there's a workaround for recording the events in to ableton (I haven't been able to get it to work yet) but it just seems like it's such an important part that's missed. It's doing my head in as i can create loads of good stuff jamming away but I don't want the only way of capturing this to be as audio.

x0b

Post by x0b » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:42 am

lukas412 wrote:
x0b wrote:had my maschine a couple of days, i don't think it's gonna be for me really. i'm experiencing all kinds of sample import related woes, it's so clunky and slow to be able to use your own sounds with this thing (select them on the hardware, not the software).

Luke
Care to share the right way to do it then?

x0b

Post by x0b » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:45 pm

x0b wrote:
lukas412 wrote:

Luke
Care to share the right way to do it then?
http://www.native-instruments.com/forum ... p?t=107974

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:06 pm

x0b wrote:i'm experiencing all kinds of sample import related woes, it's so clunky and slow to be able to use your own sounds with this thing (select them on the hardware, not the software).
Not sure why you would say that. I've never had any problems importing my own sounds and it's super quick. You can browse your sounds via the DISK tab in the browser panel, shift select to select all the sounds you want to import at once and click Import, then apply existing tags or make your own tag. Done. You can now browse and find sounds faster than anything.

x0b

Post by x0b » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:13 am

my sample library is huge, it would take me days to go through and tag everything with meaningful tags.

it takes ages to scan every file in a folder when you import that folder. i'm not gonna sit there and scan and tag a 250gb+ sample library.

you should be able to browse disk directories direct from maschine instead of having to do this backwards tagging nonsense that forces you to catalog your samples.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:09 am

x0b wrote:this backwards tagging nonsense that forces you to catalog your samples.
classic

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:43 am

Another question for Maschine heads:

How does it do with handling odd meters (5/8, 7/8, 11/8, etc)?

I suppose hosting it in Live, it might not matter much, since with Live you can change time signature via scene selection. I'm just curious how Maschine approaches this (or not) on its own.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:12 am

x0b wrote:my sample library is huge, it would take me days to go through and tag everything with meaningful tags.

it takes ages to scan every file in a folder when you import that folder. i'm not gonna sit there and scan and tag a 250gb+ sample library.

you should be able to browse disk directories direct from maschine instead of having to do this backwards tagging nonsense that forces you to catalog your samples.
My sample library is also massive... does maschine need to scan the samples only once?
or each time you want to browse?
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:20 am

once, and if you move them it's not a prob either, just rescan the drive once

x0b

Post by x0b » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:02 pm

starving student wrote:
x0b wrote:this backwards tagging nonsense that forces you to catalog your samples.
classic
i know you fanboys won't hear a bad word said against it, but none of you can offer any advice as to what i'm doing wrong, just smarmy comments.

my sample library is already organised the way i want it, maschine forces me to do it all again the way it wants it.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:10 pm

I'm not crazy about the whole tagging thing either. Would rather direct browsing.
Professional Shark Jumper.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:03 pm

x0b wrote:my sample library is already organised the way i want it, maschine forces me to do it all again the way it wants it.
If your gigantic library is at least somewhat organized in the way you want it, what's the problem with importing large sections at a time that pertain to your way of organization and making a tag for them that applies to how you like to have them organized?

Anyway, I'm glad I don't need 250GB+ sample library to make music.